[FYI] Athens tutorial

12

[FYI] Athens tutorial

Igor Stasenko
Hello, there

i prepared a small tutorial for Athens, which i did today at PharoConf.
But the code i did can be reused by non-participants of conference :)

Here the instructions.

Download Pharo 2.0

wget -O - get.pharo.org | bash

Run Pharo 2.0

./pharo-ui Pharo.image

In a workspace, evaluate (line after line)

Gofer it smalltalkhubUser: 'Pharo' project: 'Athens'; configuration; load.

ConfigurationOfAthens loadVersion: '2.0'.

Gofer it smalltalkhubUser: 'Pharo' project: 'Athens';
package:'Athens-Tutorial'; load.

AthensTutorial new openWithSpec.

Took from here
https://gist.github.com/SergeStinckwich/44ca34b54cde83b687a3
(just removed duplicates ;)

Thanks, Serge for compiling it down ;)

Once you load the code and have window open, skip step one (you already did it),
and then just follow the steps by pressing doit button changing the
code , pressing doit again , going forwards etc .. and playing with
it.
I put some comments there to serve as a small description/detail.

Any feedback & help & contributions & improvements is welcome.

P.S. if you get a DNU at step 30, enable Freetype in settings and try again.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: [Pharo-users] [FYI] Athens tutorial

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

Indeed, we just followed this tutorial at PharoConf, and it is well made.

Thanks, Igor.

Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"What is more important: To be happy, or to make happy?"

Re: [FYI] Athens tutorial

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Igor Stasenko wrote
Any feedback & help & contributions & improvements is welcome.
Really nice :) That was my first time using the zero conf scripts... very slick :) And the tutorial was extremely clear and thorough. This active essay embodies the dynabook spirit.

I added a "The end" page and a little edit to prevent stepping past the last page. No repo access, attaching to Nabble... Athens-Tutorial-SeanDeNigris.2.mcz
Cheers,
Sean

Re: [FYI] Athens tutorial

SergeStinckwich
On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 2:07 AM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello, there
>
> i prepared a small tutorial for Athens, which i did today at PharoConf.
> But the code i did can be reused by non-participants of conference :)
>
> Here the instructions.
>
> Download Pharo 2.0
>
> wget -O - get.pharo.org | bash
>
> Run Pharo 2.0
>
> ./pharo-ui Pharo.image
>
> In a workspace, evaluate (line after line)
>
> Gofer it smalltalkhubUser: 'Pharo' project: 'Athens'; configuration; load.
>
> ConfigurationOfAthens loadVersion: '2.0'.
>
> Gofer it smalltalkhubUser: 'Pharo' project: 'Athens';
> package:'Athens-Tutorial'; load.
>
> AthensTutorial new openWithSpec.
>

> Took from here
> https://gist.github.com/SergeStinckwich/44ca34b54cde83b687a3
> (just removed duplicates ;)
>
> Thanks, Serge for compiling it down ;)

Yes, there was some duplication. I made some modifications ;-)

Thank you Igor for the terrific demo.

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: [FYI] Athens tutorial

Igor Stasenko
On 4 April 2013 03:44, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Igor Stasenko wrote
>> Any feedback & help & contributions & improvements is welcome.
>
> Really nice :) That was my first time using the zero conf scripts... very
> slick :) And the tutorial was extremely clear and thorough. This active
> essay embodies the dynabook spirit.
>
> I added a "The end" page and a little edit to prevent stepping past the last
> page. No repo access, attaching to Nabble...
> Athens-Tutorial-SeanDeNigris.2.mcz
> <http://forum.world.st/file/n4679523/Athens-Tutorial-SeanDeNigris.2.mcz>

you are in the Pharo team:
http://www.smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Pharo

so you should be able to commit into any project which under this team umbrella.
Please try again, and if you fail, i will copy the file manually.

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: [FYI] Athens tutorial

Jimmie Houchin-5
Hello,

I am on Ubuntu 12.10 32bit.

I have followed the directions below for the Tutorial.

After the bash script completed it gave me these instructions.

Please install the 32bit libraries
    sudo aptitude install ia32-libs

I typed the above into the terminal and was told that I do not have
"aptitude" installed.

I changed "aptitude" to "apt-get" and then was instructed that I do not
have ia32-libs.
I went to the Ubuntu Software Center. What is on Ubuntu 12.10 is
ia32-libs-multiarch.

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs-multiarch   works.

I then open the image and proceed with loading the code and the tutorial.

I skip page 1 and "doit" on page 2 and I get this error.

Error: failed to get a symbol address: cairo_image_surface_create

As far as I can tell, I have Cairo installed on my system. I have libcairo2.

I don't know if I am missing something or what I need to do.
I haven't successfully done anything that I am explicitly aware that
used NB that has worked on this system.

I have just a standard Ubuntu 12.10 32bit install. I have the
build-essential libraries.

Just wanted to provide some input.

Let me know if there is something I need to install or what I can do to
help.

Jimmie

On 04/03/2013 07:07 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> Hello, there
>
> i prepared a small tutorial for Athens, which i did today at PharoConf.
> But the code i did can be reused by non-participants of conference :)
>
> Here the instructions.
>
> Download Pharo 2.0
>
> wget -O - get.pharo.org | bash
>
> Run Pharo 2.0
>
> ./pharo-ui Pharo.image
>
> In a workspace, evaluate (line after line)
>
> Gofer it smalltalkhubUser: 'Pharo' project: 'Athens'; configuration; load.
>
> ConfigurationOfAthens loadVersion: '2.0'.
>
> Gofer it smalltalkhubUser: 'Pharo' project: 'Athens';
> package:'Athens-Tutorial'; load.
>
> AthensTutorial new openWithSpec.
>

> Took from here
> https://gist.github.com/SergeStinckwich/44ca34b54cde83b687a3
> (just removed duplicates ;)
>
> Thanks, Serge for compiling it down ;)
>
> Once you load the code and have window open, skip step one (you already did it),
> and then just follow the steps by pressing doit button changing the
> code , pressing doit again , going forwards etc .. and playing with
> it.
> I put some comments there to serve as a small description/detail.
>
> Any feedback & help & contributions & improvements is welcome.
>
> P.S. if you get a DNU at step 30, enable Freetype in settings and try again.

Re: [FYI] Athens tutorial

EstebanLM
aptitude is old (some kind outdated) and I have had several problems with it.
we should always recommend to use apt-get instead :)

Esteban

On 4 April 2013 17:38, Jimmie Houchin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am on Ubuntu 12.10 32bit.
>
> I have followed the directions below for the Tutorial.
>
> After the bash script completed it gave me these instructions.
>
> Please install the 32bit libraries
>    sudo aptitude install ia32-libs
>
> I typed the above into the terminal and was told that I do not have
> "aptitude" installed.
>
> I changed "aptitude" to "apt-get" and then was instructed that I do not have
> ia32-libs.
> I went to the Ubuntu Software Center. What is on Ubuntu 12.10 is
> ia32-libs-multiarch.
>
> sudo apt-get install ia32-libs-multiarch   works.
>

> I then open the image and proceed with loading the code and the tutorial.
>
> I skip page 1 and "doit" on page 2 and I get this error.
>
> Error: failed to get a symbol address: cairo_image_surface_create
>
> As far as I can tell, I have Cairo installed on my system. I have libcairo2.

check if path to the library is correct for your OS in
CairoLibraryLoader class.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: [FYI] Athens tutorial

Jimmie Houchin-5
On 04/04/2013 11:34 AM, Igor Stasenko wrote:

> On 4 April 2013 17:38, Jimmie Houchin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am on Ubuntu 12.10 32bit.
>>
>> ... SNIP ...
>> I then open the image and proceed with loading the code and the tutorial.
>>
>> I skip page 1 and "doit" on page 2 and I get this error.
>>
>> Error: failed to get a symbol address: cairo_image_surface_create
>>
>> As far as I can tell, I have Cairo installed on my system. I have libcairo2.
> check if path to the library is correct for your OS in
> CairoLibraryLoader class.
Thanks, that was the problem.

On Ubuntu 12.10, I don't have a libcairo.so, but rather a libcairo.so.2
in /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu.

I created the link /usr/lib/libcairo.so as expected by Pharo, and it works.

Now, when I get to screen 30, I enabled FreeType as instructed but I am
getting an error
MNU: StrikeFont>>glyphRenderOn:

Thanks again.

Jimmie

Re: [FYI] Athens tutorial

Jimmie Houchin-5
I had already enabled Freetype as instructed in the email.
So I went ahead and then changed the StandardFont to FreeSans 9 and did Force all.
Still did not work. I saved and quit. Restarted and tried again and it worked.

I don't know if FreeSans is the best font choice or not, just simply the one that I tried.

Jimmie

On 4 April 2013 19:33, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Same error here on OSX. I guess it is because we need to use the FreeType
> fonts instead of the default StrikeFonts.

Yes, Athens does not supports StrikeFont(s). Because they are not scalable and
more than that, they using precomputed subpixel bitmaps, which assuming that
your font will always match the pixel grid, which in case of
scaling/rotating of course will not.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: [FYI] Athens tutorial

abergel
Really cool!
Works well!

How far are we from bootstrapping?

Alexandre

On Apr 3, 2013, at 8:07 PM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello, there
>
> i prepared a small tutorial for Athens, which i did today at PharoConf.
> But the code i did can be reused by non-participants of conference :)
>
> Here the instructions.
>
> Download Pharo 2.0
>
> wget -O - get.pharo.org | bash
>
> Run Pharo 2.0
>
> ./pharo-ui Pharo.image
>
> In a workspace, evaluate (line after line)
>
> Gofer it smalltalkhubUser: 'Pharo' project: 'Athens'; configuration; load.
>
> ConfigurationOfAthens loadVersion: '2.0'.
>
> Gofer it smalltalkhubUser: 'Pharo' project: 'Athens';
> package:'Athens-Tutorial'; load.
>
> AthensTutorial new openWithSpec.
>

> Took from here
> https://gist.github.com/SergeStinckwich/44ca34b54cde83b687a3
> (just removed duplicates ;)
>
> Thanks, Serge for compiling it down ;)
>
> Once you load the code and have window open, skip step one (you already did it),
> and then just follow the steps by pressing doit button changing the
> code , pressing doit again , going forwards etc .. and playing with
> it.
> I put some comments there to serve as a small description/detail.
>
> Any feedback & help & contributions & improvements is welcome.
>
> P.S. if you get a DNU at step 30, enable Freetype in settings and try again.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko.

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: [FYI] Athens tutorial

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Igor Stasenko wrote
you are in the Pharo team:
so you should be able to commit into any project which under this team umbrella.
Please try again, and if you fail, i will copy the file manually.
My bad, my login script had a bug. The file is uploaded :)
Cheers,
Sean

Re: [FYI] Athens tutorial

stephane ducasse
Alex you can use it for real in roassal
For the bootstrap
        - connection with TextMorph
        - reimplement all the drawOn: method

stef

On Apr 7, 2013, at 5:37 AM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Really cool!
> Works well!
>
> How far are we from bootstrapping?
>
> Alexandre
>

> On Apr 3, 2013, at 8:07 PM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello, there
>>
>> i prepared a small tutorial for Athens, which i did today at PharoConf.
>> But the code i did can be reused by non-participants of conference :)
>>
>> Here the instructions.
>>
>> Download Pharo 2.0
>>
>> wget -O - get.pharo.org | bash
>>
>> Run Pharo 2.0
>>
>> ./pharo-ui Pharo.image
>>
>> In a workspace, evaluate (line after line)
>>
>> Gofer it smalltalkhubUser: 'Pharo' project: 'Athens'; configuration; load.
>>
>> ConfigurationOfAthens loadVersion: '2.0'.
>>
>> Gofer it smalltalkhubUser: 'Pharo' project: 'Athens';
>> package:'Athens-Tutorial'; load.
>>
>> AthensTutorial new openWithSpec.
>>

>> Took from here
>> https://gist.github.com/SergeStinckwich/44ca34b54cde83b687a3
>> (just removed duplicates ;)
>>
>> Thanks, Serge for compiling it down ;)
>>
>> Once you load the code and have window open, skip step one (you already did it),
>> and then just follow the steps by pressing doit button changing the
>> code , pressing doit again , going forwards etc .. and playing with
>> it.
>> I put some comments there to serve as a small description/detail.
>>
>> Any feedback & help & contributions & improvements is welcome.
>>
>> P.S. if you get a DNU at step 30, enable Freetype in settings and try again.
>>
>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Igor Stasenko.

Re: [FYI] Athens tutorial

Fernando olivero-2
NICE ! Excellent tutorial Igor.

But i was expecting the tiger at the end…with the song and everything.

Fernando

On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 9:07 AM, stephane ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Alex you can use it for real in roassal
> For the bootstrap
>         - connection with TextMorph
>         - reimplement all the drawOn: method
>
> stef
>

> On Apr 7, 2013, at 5:37 AM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Really cool!
>> Works well!
>>
>> How far are we from bootstrapping?
>>
>> Alexandre
>>

>> On Apr 3, 2013, at 8:07 PM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello, there
>>>
>>> i prepared a small tutorial for Athens, which i did today at PharoConf.
>>> But the code i did can be reused by non-participants of conference :)
>>>
>>> Here the instructions.
>>>
>>> Download Pharo 2.0
>>>
>>> wget -O - get.pharo.org | bash
>>>
>>> Run Pharo 2.0
>>>
>>> ./pharo-ui Pharo.image
>>>
>>> In a workspace, evaluate (line after line)
>>>
>>> Gofer it smalltalkhubUser: 'Pharo' project: 'Athens'; configuration; load.
>>>
>>> ConfigurationOfAthens loadVersion: '2.0'.
>>>
>>> Gofer it smalltalkhubUser: 'Pharo' project: 'Athens';
>>> package:'Athens-Tutorial'; load.
>>>
>>> AthensTutorial new openWithSpec.
>>>

>>> Took from here
>>> https://gist.github.com/SergeStinckwich/44ca34b54cde83b687a3
>>> (just removed duplicates ;)
>>>
>>> Thanks, Serge for compiling it down ;)
>>>
>>> Once you load the code and have window open, skip step one (you already did it),
>>> and then just follow the steps by pressing doit button changing the
>>> code , pressing doit again , going forwards etc .. and playing with
>>> it.
>>> I put some comments there to serve as a small description/detail.
>>>
>>> Any feedback & help & contributions & improvements is welcome.
>>>
>>> P.S. if you get a DNU at step 30, enable Freetype in settings and try again.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best regards,
>>> Igor Stasenko.
>>>

>> --
>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

Re: [FYI] Athens tutorial

MartinW
Igor Stasenko wrote
i prepared a small tutorial for Athens, which i did today at PharoConf.
But the code i did can be reused by non-participants of conference :)

Any feedback & help & contributions & improvements is welcome.
Very Cool, thank you!

Re: [FYI] Athens tutorial

Tristan Bourgois-2
Very cool tutorial :)

I show it at my works and they are impressed of the readability of Athens!

Juste a remark about the text.
I try to rotate the text and (I d'ont know if it's the good behavior). All the text rotate but the letter not.

Images intégrées 1

Tristan

2013/4/4 Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>
[...]

Yes, this is a known bug actually, which i demonstrated to audience during
tutorial presentation..
i/cairo miss the correct font matrix setup.. and i need to see what's there.
Cairo caching the glyphs in a strange way (so if you never drawn
anything with given font before and your first drawing will use some rotation
then everything will be rendered correctly, but if you already drawn anything
it will render them like you shown)..
I'm going to fix that issue when i come back from Lviv.

On 9 April 2013 15:04, Tristan Bourgois <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: [FYI] Athens tutorial

Tristan Bourgois-2

2013/4/9 Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>
Yes, this is a known bug actually, which i demonstrated to audience during
tutorial presentation..
i/cairo miss the correct font matrix setup.. and i need to see what's there.
Cairo caching the glyphs in a strange way (so if you never drawn
anything with given font before and your first drawing will use some rotation
then everything will be rendered correctly, but if you already drawn anything
it will render them like you shown)..
I'm going to fix that issue when i come back from Lviv.

Super :)

Did you also see the cairo_text_path() method? It's very interesting if you want to stroke the letter!