Failing PetitSmalltalk tests

Uko2
Hi.

In Pharo 2.0 PetitSmalltalk tests are failing.

Firs of all there are real problems with parsing as some test fail because
parser finishes to parse before the end of the stream. Right now I don't
know what's causing the problem and how to solve it.

Then there is a ton of deprecation warnings as PPToken>>#value became
deprecated and it's recommended to use #inputValue. It's now hard to fix
that, but there are two problems.

1) At places where #value message is sent, not only PPToken is used as a
receiver, but sometimes RBToken is used instead. And RBToken does not
understand the #inputValue message. This can be hacked by adding a
protocol-extension that will return "self value" then, but it's not very
nice.

2) Some #value messages are sent from methods in AST-Core package, and I
don't know how we should deal with that.

Any ideas for solutions?
Uko

Re: Failing PetitSmalltalk tests

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

There was a missing version from Lukas' repository that got lost during the migration. I thought I copied it afterwards to STHub, but perhaps something went wrong because I did not find it anymore in the repository.

I copied it now and merged it with your latest version.

It solved most of the problems, but there are still 7 failures and 6 errors. I do not quite figure out where the issues come from because these tests work fine in Pharo 1.4. Could you take a look now?

Cheers,
Doru

On Mar 12, 2013, at 2:01 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> In Pharo 2.0 PetitSmalltalk tests are failing.
>
> Firs of all there are real problems with parsing as some test fail because
> parser finishes to parse before the end of the stream. Right now I don't
> know what's causing the problem and how to solve it.
>
> Then there is a ton of deprecation warnings as PPToken>>#value became
> deprecated and it's recommended to use #inputValue. It's now hard to fix
> that, but there are two problems.
>
> 1) At places where #value message is sent, not only PPToken is used as a
> receiver, but sometimes RBToken is used instead. And RBToken does not
> understand the #inputValue message. This can be hacked by adding a
> protocol-extension that will return "self value" then, but it's not very
> nice.
>
> 2) Some #value messages are sent from methods in AST-Core package, and I
> don't know how we should deal with that.
>
> Any ideas for solutions?
> Uko

www.tudorgirba.com

"From an abstract enough point of view, any two things are similar."

Re: Failing PetitSmalltalk tests

Uko2
Super. Now the only failing tests are the ones that I've mentioned at the
beginning. Maybe in Pharo 2.0 something changed with streams, but all the
failing test have the same problem: parser finishes parsing before the end
of the string. Maybe Lukas can take a look at it, because I'm quite new to
the PP implementation

Re: Failing PetitSmalltalk tests

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

I think Lukas does not have time.

Could you take a closer look?

Cheers,
Doru

On Mar 13, 2013, at 11:07 AM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Super. Now the only failing tests are the ones that I've mentioned at the
> beginning. Maybe in Pharo 2.0 something changed with streams, but all the
> failing test have the same problem: parser finishes parsing before the end
> of the string. Maybe Lukas can take a look at it, because I'm quite new to
> the PP implementation

www.tudorgirba.com

"Being happy is a matter of choice."

Re: Failing PetitSmalltalk tests

Fabrizio Perin-3
Hi I was checking at the code quickly and there is problem that is related to unary expression parsing. Something like this:

whatever + 1.
variable := 2+2

will be recognized as: "whatever" "+"  "1. variable"
so the second term is not just "1" but includes everything up to ":". Did something changed with unary expression evaluation?
I tried to play with it but I couldn't fix it.

I will investigate further tomorrow.

Cheers,
Fabrizio

2013/3/13 Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]>
Super. Now the only failing tests are the ones that I've mentioned at the
beginning. Maybe in Pharo 2.0 something changed with streams, but all the
failing test have the same problem: parser finishes parsing before the end
of the string. Maybe Lukas can take a look at it, because I'm quite new to
the PP implementation

Re: Failing PetitSmalltalk tests

Uko2
Hoorah. Busted 8 failures in one swipe: https://ci.inria.fr/moose/job/moose-latest-dev-4.8/86/testReport/

So now about details. After Fabrizio's example it wasn't hard to find out that "1." is treated as a number literal and "1. variable" is treated as a message send to a literal. After a fast talk with Marcus it turned out that Number class>>readFrom: started to use ExtendedNumberParser instead of SqNumberParser. So to fix the problem I've changed "Number readFrom: stream"  to "(SqNumberParser on: stream) nextNumber" in a number parser of PPSmalltalkGrammar.

Cheers,
Uko

On 14 бер. 2013, at 21:58, Fabrizio Perin-3 [via moose-dev] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi I was checking at the code quickly and there is problem that is related to unary expression parsing. Something like this:

whatever + 1.
variable := 2+2

will be recognized as: "whatever" "+"  "1. variable"
so the second term is not just "1" but includes everything up to ":". Did something changed with unary expression evaluation?
I tried to play with it but I couldn't fix it.

I will investigate further tomorrow.

Cheers,
Fabrizio

2013/3/13 Yuriy Tymchuk <<a href="x-msg://1553/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=4026485&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external">[hidden email]>
Super. Now the only failing tests are the ones that I've mentioned at the
beginning. Maybe in Pharo 2.0 something changed with streams, but all the
failing test have the same problem: parser finishes parsing before the end
of the string. Maybe Lukas can take a look at it, because I'm quite new to
the PP implementation

http://moose-dev.97923.n3.nabble.com/Failing-PetitSmalltalk-tests-tp4026442p4026485.html
To unsubscribe from Failing PetitSmalltalk tests, click here.
NAML

Sent from the moose-dev mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Re: Failing PetitSmalltalk tests

Tudor Girba-2
Excellent catch!

You see, Yuriy: never underestimate the power of sticking to a problem.
It is not mastery that solves the problem. It is solving the problem that leads to mastery.

Keep it up.

Cheers,
Doru

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 11:22 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

"Every thing has its own flow"