Failing closures tests

Adrian Lienhard
Hi Eliot and Lukas

There are 9 failing tests in the two classes ClosureCompilerTests and
ClosureTests that you wrote.

Do they document bugs in the implementation, and if yes, what needs to
be done?

Thanks,
Adrian

Re: Failing closures tests

Lukas Renggli
ClosureTests>>#testToDoOutsideTemp and
ClosureTests>>#testWhileModificationBefore demonstrate two minor
problems with the closure implementation. Many Smalltalk
implementations (including the expensive industrial strength ones) get
these two and some of the other tests in ClosureTests wrong.

If these two tests cannot be easily fixed I don't think they are a
show stopper and should be marked as expected failures. I don't know
about the other closure tests.

Cheers,
Lukas

2009/7/5 Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Eliot and Lukas
>
> There are 9 failing tests in the two classes ClosureCompilerTests and
> ClosureTests that you wrote.
>
> Do they document bugs in the implementation, and if yes, what needs to
> be done?
>
> Thanks,
> Adrian

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Failing closures tests

Mariano Martinez Peck
I think Eliot is not in this mailing list, so, I cc him.

Cheers,

Mariano

On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 9:11 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
ClosureTests>>#testToDoOutsideTemp and
ClosureTests>>#testWhileModificationBefore demonstrate two minor
problems with the closure implementation. Many Smalltalk
implementations (including the expensive industrial strength ones) get
these two and some of the other tests in ClosureTests wrong.

If these two tests cannot be easily fixed I don't think they are a
show stopper and should be marked as expected failures. I don't know
about the other closure tests.

Cheers,
Lukas

2009/7/5 Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]>:
> Hi Eliot and Lukas
>
> There are 9 failing tests in the two classes ClosureCompilerTests and
> ClosureTests that you wrote.
>
> Do they document bugs in the implementation, and if yes, what needs to
> be done?
>
> Thanks,
> Adrian

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Failing closures tests

Please mark them as expected failures but do not remove them because
they show the real semantics
of closure.

Stef

On Jul 5, 2009, at 2:11 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> ClosureTests>>#testToDoOutsideTemp and
> ClosureTests>>#testWhileModificationBefore demonstrate two minor
> problems with the closure implementation. Many Smalltalk
> implementations (including the expensive industrial strength ones) get
> these two and some of the other tests in ClosureTests wrong.
>
> If these two tests cannot be easily fixed I don't think they are a
> show stopper and should be marked as expected failures. I don't know
> about the other closure tests.
>
> Cheers,
> Lukas
>

> 2009/7/5 Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi Eliot and Lukas
>>
>> There are 9 failing tests in the two classes ClosureCompilerTests and
>> ClosureTests that you wrote.
>>
>> Do they document bugs in the implementation, and if yes, what needs
>> be done?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Adrian

> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Failing closures tests

Adrian Lienhard
Eliot replied to the same question on the Squeak mailing list:

<copy>
My first attempt at the closure compiler did not fix the decompiler,
did not implement copying methods with temp names correctly and had a
minor
compiler bug with optimized blocks.

The issue with the decompiler and with copying methods with temp names
is
that with BlueBook blocks temporaries are simply an array but with
closures
they are a tree, since temporaries in blocks live in those blocks, not
on
the stack of the home context.  Since the decompiler and discarding
sources
can be lived without I left them for later.

I now have a functional decompiler, have implemented copy with temp
names
and have an unintegrated fix for the compiler bug (the failing test
is testInlineBlockCollectionLR3).  Once Andreas' new Monticello loader
is
more generally available I can make these fixes available.  The
problem is
that the fixes are integrated into packages in Qwaq's repository and
being
compiler changes they don't "just load".
</copy>

So we need to wait until these fixes are made public.

I created an issue http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=978

Adrian