Fatal error

Bruno Buzzi Brasesco
Hi,

My machine reboot (a hardware failure) when i was working inside a Dolphin
image.
Now when i try to start up the image this message appears:
Dolphin Smalltalk XP Development System Launcher have detected an error and
have to close it.

May be some file is corrupted ?
Any idea to solve this ?

Regards Bruno

Re: Fatal error

Sean Malloy-2
> May be some file is corrupted ?
> Any idea to solve this ?

This is probably not the answer you want: When anything like this happens to
me, I just delete the image, run Dolphin Fresh Install image, and re-load
packages. This'll work if you store your code in packages. If not, this
reply was a waste of our time!

Re: Fatal error

Christopher J. Demers
"Sean Malloy" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> > May be some file is corrupted ?
> > Any idea to solve this ?
>
> This is probably not the answer you want: When anything like this happens
> me, I just delete the image, run Dolphin Fresh Install image, and re-load
> packages. This'll work if you store your code in packages. If not, this
> reply was a waste of our time!

If one does not have code saved in packages it can still probably be
recovered from the *.chg file and the *.sml file if a "Compress Sources..."
has been performed.  Ian's totally awesome ChunkBrowser (
http://www.idb.me.uk/goodies5/chunkbrowser.html ) can be used to recover the
code from these chunk files.  It may be helpful to start with the last good
backup of a working image to minimize the amount of code you have to import.

Dolphin image corruptions have been fairly rare for me (perhaps 1 or 2 per
year of heavy use).  However I have recently taken to making a backup of the
image every time I open Dolphin (usually once a day). It is easier to
recover and test one days work then it is to recover a few weeks work.

All hope may not be totally lost on the corrupt image.  When Dolphin tries
to load it looks for a file called prestart.st.  If you create such a file
it will give you the chance to run it.  You may be able to use it to inject
code into the system before it crashes.  I have used this trick to extract
source code before.  I think I was once even able to resurrect an apparently
corrupt image.  It takes a bit of experimentation, but it can be very
powerful.

Good luck,

Chris

Re: Fatal error

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Chris, Bruno,

> Dolphin image corruptions have been fairly rare for me (perhaps 1 or 2 per
> year of heavy use).

That often!! :)

> All hope may not be totally lost on the corrupt image.  When Dolphin tries
> to load it looks for a file called prestart.st.  If you create such a file
> it will give you the chance to run it.  You may be able to use it to inject
> code into the system before it crashes.  I have used this trick to extract
> source code before.  I think I was once even able to resurrect an apparently
> corrupt image.  It takes a bit of experimentation, but it can be very
> powerful.

Also, a scan of the error log or crash dump (as appropriate) can give
clues to the problem, increasing chances of a recovery.

> Good luck,

Seconded!

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: Fatal error

Sean Malloy-5
> Dolphin image corruptions have been fairly rare for me (perhaps 1 or 2 per
> year of heavy use).  However I have recently taken to making a backup of
the
> image every time I open Dolphin (usually once a day). It is easier to
> recover and test one days work then it is to recover a few weeks work.

Yeah I haven't had an image corrupted, my probs have all stemed from doing
something stupid and blowing things up, and then every time I start dolphin
things are screwy, so its just easier to blow everything away and reload my
packages.

The prestart.st tip is nice though, thanks for that!

Re: Fatal error

Bruno Buzzi Brasesco
The back-up is not a problem, i have:
1. Image files back up.
2. Packages back up.
3. And STS.

But i wanna recover the corrupted file just to try it.

Thanks everyone.

Re: Fatal error

Bruno Buzzi Brasesco
I do not have problems with back up, i have:

* Image back upo.
* Packages back up.
* STS.

I just wanna try to restore my image from this file (just to try).

Thanks everyone.
Bruno