[Feature Request] Better integration with OSX Window Management

[Feature Request] Better integration with OSX Window Management

Stefan Marr-4
Hello:

I just had a very annoying experience with the lake of sufficient window management tools on Mac OS X. (Annoying enough to write this mail...)

The following happened:

At home I have a external screen attached to my mac book, it is configured to be a secondary screen positioned above the main (internal) screen.

The Pharo window was moved to that screen.

In the office, I have another configuration, and there was no way to get hold of the Pharo window anymore.

It remembered its positioning and was just of screen. Expose allows me to see it, and shows even a beautiful animation moving it out of reach after clicking on it.

Obviously the menu SqueakVM > Quit is not really helpful, since the question whether to save or not is displayed unreachable off screen, too.

I am not sure whether the standard OS X window menu functionality with "minimize" and "zoom" would help here, but might be a start. On the other hand, I would guess, that the OSX windowing systems sends some events which could be handled like all other windows do.

The only workaround for the moment, is to have a external screen and fiddle with the screen configuration and positioning until I can get hold of the window... Not exactly convenient.

Best regards
Stefan

--
Stefan Marr
Software Languages Lab

Re: [Feature Request] Better integration with OSX Window Management

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Stefan,

    not much of a comfort but as a work-=around I *think* you can fix the problem either by
- disconnecting the second monitor, which will rearrange all the windows onto your laptop screen, and then reattach the second monitor
or
- choosing Turn On Mirroring from the displays menu, which will also rearrange windows, and then turn off mirroring

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 4:34 AM, Stefan Marr <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Eliot:

On 11 Jan 2010, at 19:26, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> Hi Stefan,
>
>     not much of a comfort but as a work-=around I *think* you can fix the problem either by
> - disconnecting the second monitor, which will rearrange all the windows onto your laptop screen, and then reattach the second monitor
> or
> - choosing Turn On Mirroring from the displays menu, which will also rearrange windows, and then turn off mirroring
No, it does not. I have to explicitly go to my monitor arrangement settings and restore the configuration I have at home.
Just experienced it again.

Any idea where I could start to look at that?

Thanks
Stefan

> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 4:34 AM, Stefan Marr <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I just had a very annoying experience with the lake of sufficient window management tools on Mac OS X. (Annoying enough to write this mail...)
>

> The following happened:
>
> At home I have a external screen attached to my mac book, it is configured to be a secondary screen positioned above the main (internal) screen.
>
> The Pharo window was moved to that screen.
>
> In the office, I have another configuration, and there was no way to get hold of the Pharo window anymore.
>
> It remembered its positioning and was just of screen. Expose allows me to see it, and shows even a beautiful animation moving it out of reach after clicking on it.
>
> Obviously the menu SqueakVM > Quit is not really helpful, since the question whether to save or not is displayed unreachable off screen, too.
>

> I am not sure whether the standard OS X window menu functionality with "minimize" and "zoom" would help here, but might be a start. On the other hand, I would guess, that the OSX windowing systems sends some events which could be handled like all other windows do.
>

> The only workaround for the moment, is to have a external screen and fiddle with the screen configuration and positioning until I can get hold of the window... Not exactly convenient.
>

> Best regards
> Stefan
>
> --
> Stefan Marr
> Software Languages Lab
> Vrije Universiteit Brussel
> Pleinlaan 2 / B-1050 Brussels / Belgium
> http://soft.vub.ac.be/~smarr
> Phone: +32 2 629 3956
> Fax:   +32 2 629 3525

Stefan Marr
Software Languages Lab
Vrije Universiteit Brussel
Pleinlaan 2 / B-1050 Brussels / Belgium
http://soft.vub.ac.be/~smarr
Phone: +32 2 629 3956
Fax:   +32 2 629 3525

Re: [Feature Request] Better integration with OSX Window Management

Mariano Martinez Peck
I had the same problem sometime and I don't know how to fix it :(

Please open a ticket

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 11:49 AM, Stefan Marr <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Eliot:

On 11 Jan 2010, at 19:26, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> Hi Stefan,
>
>     not much of a comfort but as a work-=around I *think* you can fix the problem either by
> - disconnecting the second monitor, which will rearrange all the windows onto your laptop screen, and then reattach the second monitor
> or
> - choosing Turn On Mirroring from the displays menu, which will also rearrange windows, and then turn off mirroring
No, it does not. I have to explicitly go to my monitor arrangement settings and restore the configuration I have at home.
Just experienced it again.

Any idea where I could start to look at that?

Thanks
Stefan

> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 4:34 AM, Stefan Marr <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I just had a very annoying experience with the lake of sufficient window management tools on Mac OS X. (Annoying enough to write this mail...)
>

> The following happened:
>
> At home I have a external screen attached to my mac book, it is configured to be a secondary screen positioned above the main (internal) screen.
>
> The Pharo window was moved to that screen.
>
> In the office, I have another configuration, and there was no way to get hold of the Pharo window anymore.
>
> It remembered its positioning and was just of screen. Expose allows me to see it, and shows even a beautiful animation moving it out of reach after clicking on it.
>
> Obviously the menu SqueakVM > Quit is not really helpful, since the question whether to save or not is displayed unreachable off screen, too.
>

> I am not sure whether the standard OS X window menu functionality with "minimize" and "zoom" would help here, but might be a start. On the other hand, I would guess, that the OSX windowing systems sends some events which could be handled like all other windows do.
>

> The only workaround for the moment, is to have a external screen and fiddle with the screen configuration and positioning until I can get hold of the window... Not exactly convenient.
>

> Best regards
> Stefan
>
> --
> Stefan Marr
> Software Languages Lab
> Vrije Universiteit Brussel
> Pleinlaan 2 / B-1050 Brussels / Belgium
> http://soft.vub.ac.be/~smarr
> Phone: +32 2 629 3956
> Fax:   +32 2 629 3525

Stefan Marr
Software Languages Lab
Vrije Universiteit Brussel
Pleinlaan 2 / B-1050 Brussels / Belgium
http://soft.vub.ac.be/~smarr
Phone: +32 2 629 3956
Fax:   +32 2 629 3525

Re: [Feature Request] Better integration with OSX Window Management

Stefan Marr-4
Ok, is in the tracker. http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1786

Don't know, but, if it needs support at the VM-level, this might be better suited on the VM-list?

Best
Stefan

On 12 Jan 2010, at 19:09, John Toohey wrote:
> In cases like this, I have used http://www.heliumfoot.com/mercurymover/ to recover windows that are positioned off the current screen. Use the task selector to get the focus on the app, and then the arrow keys to move it back to your laptop.
Thanks for the tip, was looking for something like that.

Anyway. I just tried the new Mac VM 5.3b1 of John M. McIntosh and that one works nicely.

So, I guess, it is a VM issue.

Best
Stefan

> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 07:34, Stefan Marr <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I just had a very annoying experience with the lake of sufficient window management tools on Mac OS X. (Annoying enough to write this mail...)
>

> The following happened:
>
> At home I have a external screen attached to my mac book, it is configured to be a secondary screen positioned above the main (internal) screen.
>
> The Pharo window was moved to that screen.
>
> In the office, I have another configuration, and there was no way to get hold of the Pharo window anymore.
>
> It remembered its positioning and was just of screen. Expose allows me to see it, and shows even a beautiful animation moving it out of reach after clicking on it.
>
> Obviously the menu SqueakVM > Quit is not really helpful, since the question whether to save or not is displayed unreachable off screen, too.
>

> I am not sure whether the standard OS X window menu functionality with "minimize" and "zoom" would help here, but might be a start. On the other hand, I would guess, that the OSX windowing systems sends some events which could be handled like all other windows do.
>

> The only workaround for the moment, is to have a external screen and fiddle with the screen configuration and positioning until I can get hold of the window... Not exactly convenient.
>

> Best regards
> Stefan
>
> --
> Stefan Marr
> Software Languages Lab
> Vrije Universiteit Brussel
> Pleinlaan 2 / B-1050 Brussels / Belgium
> http://soft.vub.ac.be/~smarr
> Phone: +32 2 629 3956
> Fax:   +32 2 629 3525

> -JT

Stefan Marr
Software Languages Lab
Vrije Universiteit Brussel
Pleinlaan 2 / B-1050 Brussels / Belgium
http://soft.vub.ac.be/~smarr
Phone: +32 2 629 3956
Fax:   +32 2 629 3525

Re: [Feature Request] Better integration with OSX Window Management

johnmci
Ok, so what's the behaviour different between the 4.x macintosh VM and the 5.x macintosh VM?

Hint, the 4.x uses 1984 based window technology and knows nothing about the event that occurs when the display configuration changes
The 5.x a modern cocoa implementation might have default handling behaviour?

On 2010-01-12, at 10:55 AM, Stefan Marr wrote:

> Hi:
>
> On 12 Jan 2010, at 19:09, John Toohey wrote:
>> In cases like this, I have used http://www.heliumfoot.com/mercurymover/ to recover windows that are positioned off the current screen. Use the task selector to get the focus on the app, and then the arrow keys to move it back to your laptop.
> Thanks for the tip, was looking for something like that.
>
> Anyway. I just tried the new Mac VM 5.3b1 of John M. McIntosh and that one works nicely.
>
> So, I guess, it is a VM issue.
>
> Best
> Stefan

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882