classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Feature request: Make workspaces show the whole content of files/strings

Richard Sargent
Administrator
Workspaces (and text panes in general, I believe) stop displaying once they encounter a NUL character. This means that opening a file with an embedded NUL results in a substantial amount of the file being hidden from the reader, as if it did not exist.

For example, I have a stack dump which includes the following lines:
xmNmnemonic
        client = {0} $NUL

where NUL represents the NUL character.

Notepad++, for example, proceeds to show me the remaining ~6,000 lines. VA Smalltalk, on the other hand, pretends there are only 2,900 and no more.

(As an aside, I really like the glyphs Notepad++ uses for non-printable characters. In this case, it was a reverse video of the word "NUL" with attractively rounded corners. I have recently encountered something along these lines for non-printing Unicode characters, in which the glyph shows 4 or 6 miniscule hex digits. Yes, you need really good glasses!)

Thank you!

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "VA Smalltalk" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
To post to this group, send email to [hidden email].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/va-smalltalk.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Feature request: Make workspaces show the whole content of files/strings

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Richard,

On Thursday, March 5, 2015 at 7:18:52 PM UTC-5, Richard Sargent wrote:
Workspaces (and text panes in general, I believe) stop displaying once they encounter a NUL character. This means that opening a file with an embedded NUL results in a substantial amount of the file being hidden from the reader, as if it did not exist.

xmNmnemonic
        client = {0} $NUL

Notepad++, for example, proceeds to show me the remaining ~6,000 lines. VA Smalltalk, on the other hand, pretends there are only 2,900 and no more.

(As an aside, I really like the glyphs Notepad++ uses for non-printable characters. In this case, it was a reverse video of the word "NUL" with attractively rounded corners. I have recently encountered something along these lines for non-printing Unicode characters, in which the glyph shows 4 or 6 miniscule hex digits. Yes, you need really good glasses!)
Thank you!

I replace the NUL with $Ø in a window where I am displaying data to a user.  I don't love the solution but it isn't too bad.  I wouldn't mind getting rid of it in favor of something better.

Lou

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "VA Smalltalk" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
Reply | Threaded
|

Seth Berman
Hello all,

The issue with truncation has to do with using the wrong compatibility method in CwScintillaEditor>>setString:.
It should be something more like the following because setText: expects null terminated input, so its only going to read that far.
self forceModifyText: [
self
clearAll;
addText: value]

I have not played around much with glyphs.  What is there is the default scintilla behavior.
We have the APIs wrapped.

I just inspected the editor with the Null char in it and called 'self clearRepresentation: (String with: (Character value: 0))' which seemed to remove the glyph and do something more like what notepad would do.

I'll put in a case for the truncation issue.  Thanks!

-- Seth

On Friday, March 6, 2015 at 11:48:21 AM UTC-5, Louis LaBrunda wrote:
Hi Richard,

xmNmnemonic
        client = {0} $NUL

Thank you!

I replace the NUL with $Ø in a window where I am displaying data to a user.  I don't love the solution but it isn't too bad.  I wouldn't mind getting rid of it in favor of something better.

Lou

--
Reply | Threaded
|

Seth Berman
Case 57412 opened for handling truncation of text with nulls

On Friday, March 6, 2015 at 2:23:43 PM UTC-5, Seth Berman wrote:
Hello all,

The issue with truncation has to do with using the wrong compatibility method in CwScintillaEditor>>setString:.
It should be something more like the following because setText: expects null terminated input, so its only going to read that far.
self
clearAll;

I have not played around much with glyphs.  What is there is the default scintilla behavior.

I just inspected the editor with the Null char in it and called 'self clearRepresentation: (String with: (Character value: 0))' which seemed to remove the glyph and do something more like what notepad would do.

-- Seth

Hi Richard,

xmNmnemonic
        client = {0} $NUL

Thank you!

Lou

--
Reply | Threaded
|

Seth Berman
There are a few other APIs that will also need to be fixed up to handle embedded nulls so I will include this work in case 57412

On Friday, March 6, 2015 at 2:27:47 PM UTC-5, Seth Berman wrote:

Hello all,

self
clearAll;

-- Seth

Hi Richard,

xmNmnemonic
        client = {0} $NUL

Thank you!

Lou

--
Reply | Threaded
|

Richard Sargent
Administrator
Thank you!

On Friday, March 6, 2015 at 12:29:06 PM UTC-8, Seth Berman wrote:
There are a few other APIs that will also need to be fixed up to handle embedded nulls so I will include this work in case 57412

On Friday, March 6, 2015 at 2:27:47 PM UTC-5, Seth Berman wrote:

Hello all,

self
clearAll;

-- Seth

Hi Richard,

xmNmnemonic
        client = {0} $NUL

Thank you!

Lou

--