Feature request: Make workspaces show the whole content of files/strings

Feature request: Make workspaces show the whole content of files/strings

Richard Sargent
Administrator
Workspaces (and text panes in general, I believe) stop displaying once they encounter a NUL character. This means that opening a file with an embedded NUL results in a substantial amount of the file being hidden from the reader, as if it did not exist.

For example, I have a stack dump which includes the following lines:
xmNmnemonic
        client = {0} $NUL

where NUL represents the NUL character.

Notepad++, for example, proceeds to show me the remaining ~6,000 lines. VA Smalltalk, on the other hand, pretends there are only 2,900 and no more.

(As an aside, I really like the glyphs Notepad++ uses for non-printable characters. In this case, it was a reverse video of the word "NUL" with attractively rounded corners. I have recently encountered something along these lines for non-printing Unicode characters, in which the glyph shows 4 or 6 miniscule hex digits. Yes, you need really good glasses!)

Thank you!

Re: Feature request: Make workspaces show the whole content of files/strings

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Richard,

On Thursday, March 5, 2015 at 7:18:52 PM UTC-5, Richard Sargent wrote:
[...]

I replace the NUL with $Ø in a window where I am displaying data to a user.  I don't love the solution but it isn't too bad.  I wouldn't mind getting rid of it in favor of something better.

Lou

Re: Feature request: Make workspaces show the whole content of files/strings

Seth Berman
Hello all,

The issue with truncation has to do with using the wrong compatibility method in CwScintillaEditor>>setString:.
It should be something more like the following because setText: expects null terminated input, so its only going to read that far.
self forceModifyText: [
self
clearAll;
addText: value]

I have not played around much with glyphs.  What is there is the default scintilla behavior.
We have the APIs wrapped.

I just inspected the editor with the Null char in it and called 'self clearRepresentation: (String with: (Character value: 0))' which seemed to remove the glyph and do something more like what notepad would do.

I'll put in a case for the truncation issue.  Thanks!

-- Seth