Feedback about "Contribute a Fix to Pharo" (For windows users)

Feedback about "Contribute a Fix to Pharo" (For windows users)

Nicolai Hess-3-2
The setup finally somehow works:

I followed the guide at
It starts donwloading something but not pharo

I tried to do at seperate steps:
Only the image
* wget -O- get.pharo.org/70 | bash

Works

* wget -O- get.pharo.org/vm | bash

works, but is the wrong VM I guess, I can not open the image

* wget -O- get.pharo.org/vm70 | bash

works, seems to load the right vm

* ./pharo-ui Pharo.image
Starts the vm but complains about :
"Pharo cannot write to the changes file named u:\tmp\pharo\Pharo.changes."

I am sure the file is writable.

The vm reports to be built on aug 27 2017, is this right?

Setting up Iceberg:
Yes, need option 2, that is, I use the commandline to clone a repository and
add it to iceberg. Cloning from iceberg directly does not work (long file names).

Ok,
now I see some uncommitted changes, the guide says: "you may need to invoke
synchronize"

But how?
There is a "synchronize repository... " and "Synchronize full repository ..."
menu entry.

Which one?
The first synchronize does not show me how to actually do anything
and the second one shows a intimidating warning :)
FInally I removed my fork (it was pretty old), did a new fork and sstarted with
a fresh image.

Finally, the initial setup up is done, I now try to do some work with it
and report back

nicolai

Re: Feedback about "Contribute a Fix to Pharo" (For windows users)

hernanmd
Hi Nicolai,

> The setup finally somehow works:
>
> I followed the guide at
> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/wiki/Contribute-a-fix-to-Pharo
>
> * wget -O- get.pharo.org/70+vm | bash
>
> Does not work (windows msys-console)
> It starts donwloading something but not pharo
>
> I tried to do at seperate steps:
> Only the image
> * wget -O- get.pharo.org/70 | bash
>
> Works
>
> * wget -O- get.pharo.org/vm | bash
>
> works, but is the wrong VM I guess, I can not open the image
>
> * wget -O- get.pharo.org/vm70 | bash
>
> works, seems to load the right vm
>
> * ./pharo-ui Pharo.image
>
> Starts the vm but complains about :
> "Pharo cannot write to the changes file named u:\tmp\pharo\Pharo.changes."
>
> I am sure the file is writable.
>
> The vm reports to be built on aug 27 2017, is this right?

I think is this one:

https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20805/Cannot-write-to-the-changes-file-error-on-Windows

> Setting up Iceberg:
> Yes, need option 2, that is, I use the commandline to clone a repository and
> add it to iceberg. Cloning from iceberg directly does not work (long file
> names).
>
> Ok,
> now I see some uncommitted changes, the guide says: "you may need to invoke
> synchronize"
>
> But how?
> There is a "synchronize repository... " and "Synchronize full repository
> ..."
> menu entry.
>
> Which one?
> The first synchronize does not show me how to actually do anything
> and the second one shows a intimidating warning :)
> FInally I removed my fork (it was pretty old), did a new fork and sstarted
> with
> a fresh image.
>
> Finally, the initial setup up is done, I now try to do some work with it
> and report back
>

> nicolai

Re: Feedback about "Contribute a Fix to Pharo" (For windows users)

EstebanLM

On 3 Feb 2018, at 17:09, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Nicolai,

The setup finally somehow works:

I followed the guide at
https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/wiki/Contribute-a-fix-to-Pharo

* wget -O- get.pharo.org/70+vm | bash

Does not work (windows msys-console)
It starts donwloading something but not pharo

this is very weird, I will check.

I tried to do at seperate steps:
Only the image
* wget -O- get.pharo.org/70 | bash

Works

* wget -O- get.pharo.org/vm | bash

works, but is the wrong VM I guess, I can not open the image

* wget -O- get.pharo.org/vm70 | bash

works, seems to load the right vm

* ./pharo-ui Pharo.image

Starts the vm but complains about :
"Pharo cannot write to the changes file named u:\tmp\pharo\Pharo.changes."

I am sure the file is writable.

The vm reports to be built on aug 27 2017, is this right?

I think is this one:

https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20805/Cannot-write-to-the-changes-file-error-on-Windows

yes, this is a known bug that we need to fix soon.

Setting up Iceberg:
Yes, need option 2, that is, I use the commandline to clone a repository and
add it to iceberg. Cloning from iceberg directly does not work (long file
names).

that should not be anymore an issue (since we migrated to tonel).
but cloning in disk is faster :)

Ok,
now I see some uncommitted changes, the guide says: "you may need to invoke
synchronize"

But how?
There is a "synchronize repository... " and "Synchronize full repository
..."
menu entry.

Which one?
The first synchronize does not show me how to actually do anything
and the second one shows a intimidating warning :)
FInally I removed my fork (it was pretty old), did a new fork and sstarted
with
a fresh image.

I fixed that… it should be the first synchronize. But you do not have to do anything other than execute it ;)
anyway, what I need to do is to put a note of what happens if (as you) your fork is too old: in that case you can go to Pharo/Synchronize repositories (but anyway, you do not need it… creating a branch from fogbugz issue will do a fetch and put you in the right place).

Finally, the initial setup up is done, I now try to do some work with it
and report back

thanks!
I hope everything goes smooth :)

cheers!
Esteban

[...]

Not that smooth. The view for pull requests is still problematic, it seems to do alot in the background on
resizing the window (it is slow, does it do some lgit-calls on every window change ?) .
And it crashes often.

Inline-Bild 1

cheers!
Esteban

nicolai

Re: Feedback about "Contribute a Fix to Pharo" (For windows users)

Nicolai Hess-3-2
And sometimes I get a debugger:

Inline-Bild 1

And btw, the diff pane
"Left: working copy / Right: incoming updates"

This is wrong, the working copy is on the right, no ?

[...]

Do we have a video tutorial, something like the one we had for the old-way ?
I would like to see how others are using iceberg to review a change.

> [...]

resizing the window (it is slow, does it do some lgit-calls on every window change ?) .
And it crashes often.

Inline-Bild 1

cheers!
Esteban

nicolai

Re: Feedback about "Contribute a Fix to Pharo" (For windows users)

hernanmd
Hi

> On 3 Feb 2018, at 17:09, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> Hi Nicolai,

> The setup finally somehow works:
>
> I followed the guide at
> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/wiki/Contribute-a-fix-to-Pharo
>
> * wget -O- get.pharo.org/70+vm | bash
>

> Does not work (windows msys-console)
> It starts donwloading something but not pharo

I checked and it works.

> I tried to do at seperate steps:
> Only the image
> * wget -O- get.pharo.org/70 | bash
>
> Works
>
> * wget -O- get.pharo.org/vm | bash
>
> works, but is the wrong VM I guess, I can not open the image
>
> * wget -O- get.pharo.org/vm70 | bash
>
> works, seems to load the right vm
>
> * ./pharo-ui Pharo.image
>
> Starts the vm but complains about :
> "Pharo cannot write to the changes file named u:\tmp\pharo\Pharo.changes."
>
> I am sure the file is writable.
>
> The vm reports to be built on aug 27 2017, is this right?
>

> I think is this one:
>
> https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20805/Cannot-write-to-the-changes-file-error-on-Windows
>

> yes, this is a known bug that we need to fix soon.
>
> Setting up Iceberg:
> Yes, need option 2, that is, I use the commandline to clone a repository and
> add it to iceberg. Cloning from iceberg directly does not work (long file
> names).
>

> that should not be anymore an issue (since we migrated to tonel).
> but cloning in disk is faster :)
I used the "Create repository" button in the Clone repository dialog,
and the error in the attached screenshot is raised.

As I reported a couple of days ago in the Pillar thread, you have to
add $: to drive letter using MinGW:

IceCredentialsProvider useCustomSsh: true.
IceCredentialsProvider sshCredentials
    publicKey: '/c:/Users/[MY_USERNAME]/.ssh/id_rsa.pub';
    privateKey: '/c:/Users/[MY_USERNAME]/.ssh/id_rsa'

Also if I add "Code subdirectory: src" Iceberg shows "Code directory missing"

> Ok,
> now I see some uncommitted changes, the guide says: "you may need to invoke
> synchronize"
>
> But how?
> There is a "synchronize repository... " and "Synchronize full repository
> ..."
> menu entry.
>
> Which one?
> The first synchronize does not show me how to actually do anything
> and the second one shows a intimidating warning :)
I thought exactly the same. It opens a non-modal window titled
"Synchronizing" but Process Browser didn't how any related process.

ContributeToPharo7_1.jpg (125K) Download Attachment

Re: Feedback about "Contribute a Fix to Pharo" (For windows users)

hernanmd
I think the page needs more structure.

This is how I see it:

0.1) Download and launch latest 7.0 pharo
0.2) Fork the Pharo repository
0.3) Setup Iceberg
0.3.1) Option 1: if you want to clone a fresh pharo repository
0.3.2) Option 2: if you make (or already have) an external pharo clone
0.3.3) Import your clone into iceberg
0.3.4) Tell iceberg about pharo-project
1) Opening an issue
2) Work on your image and push your change
3) Issue a pull request
4) Follow your pull request
5) Once your pull request is integrated

Also it would help a lot for people reporting where is stuck.

Cheers,

Hernán

[...]

H,

:(
I think the old VM is… old.
I need to promote new stables but I was waiting still a bit (something I see I can’t do).

Can you try with the latest vm?

wget -O- get.pharo.org/vmLatest70 | bash

On 4 Feb 2018, at 02:34, Nicolai Hess <[hidden email]> wrote:

And sometimes I get a debugger:

<grafik.png>

[...]

yes, we are working on a revamp of UI that will hopefully fix all this (the crashes still should not happen :).

cheers!
Esteban

<grafik.png>

cheers!
Esteban

nicolai

Re: Feedback about "Contribute a Fix to Pharo" (For windows users)

Stephane Ducasse-3
HI nicolai

about left and right I totally agree and we should change it.
Now we should get a new UI for iceberg too.
I started to migrate my project for real using Iceberg and it is
working (there are still some glitches).
We are concerned about usability. So thanks a lot for your feedback.

Stef