Feedbacks from Moose Course

Anne Etien
Hi,

Last week, we made (Guillaume Larchevêque and my self) 6 hours about Moose. Guillaume was using Moose 5.0 and me the latest stable 5.1 version.
The purpose was, after an introduction to Moose to be able to analyse a real project with a reasonable size (35 to 420 FAMIXClasses) in order to evaluate its quality.

We met some issues:
- MSE file generated by VerveineJ could not be used in Version 5.0 (FileAnchor issue)
- From the MoosePanel, right clicking on a FAMIXClassesGroup to build the UML diagram:
        - sometimes, the panel is completely white (since no error, or exception are raised, it is difficult to know why)
        - when the UML class diagram appears, it is no zoomable and there is no way to export it. We had to hack the visualization to inspect the view in order to get access to the zooms and the exports.
        - sometimes, I reorganized the figure before exportation, but in that cases, the resulting figure didn’t contain the whole diagram.
- When querying a collection of FAMIXEntity, it would be great to get an answer even if the result is empty.

Where can I put some new issues? Have we migrated from google code?

Am I the only one teaching Moose? Having these issues?

Cheers,
Anne

Re: Feedbacks from Moose Course

abergel
Hi Anne,

Pity you face the situations you describes. I hope it all went well however.

> Where can I put some new issues? Have we migrated from google code?

This is a good question and we need to act. Anne, if nobody complain to this email within the next 24 hours, then open a github account called moosetechnology and add your issue there. As simple as that.

> Am I the only one teaching Moose? Having these issues?

I also teach moose and I did not face these issues.
Regarding the UML, I see that there is no tab for the UML diagram when browsing a set of famix classes. Maybe we should have one no?
Also, the system complexity and the tree map should have a legend. We have an efficient way in Roassal to build legends.

Cheers,
Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Feedbacks from Moose Course

Stephan Eggermont-3

On 08/06/15 18:55, Anne Etien wrote:
> Am I the only one teaching Moose? Having these issues?
At workshops time is very limited, so I use only stuff that is
prepared and tested. As these workshops are not so often,
I mostly have to spend half a day making sure everything
works again with the latest (or sometimes not the latest)
version of Moose.

These kind of issues are the reason we can't get people like
Steve Freeman to use Moose. They run into too much
problems getting started with Moose.

Stephan

Re: Feedbacks from Moose Course

SergeStinckwich
Nice to have some report about doing Moose course.
Do you use any material (slides, exercices, ...) that might be
interesting to share among us ?

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 6:55 PM, Anne Etien <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Last week, we made (Guillaume Larchevêque and my self) 6 hours about Moose. Guillaume was using Moose 5.0 and me the latest stable 5.1 version.
> The purpose was, after an introduction to Moose to be able to analyse a real project with a reasonable size (35 to 420 FAMIXClasses) in order to evaluate its quality.
>
> We met some issues:
> - MSE file generated by VerveineJ could not be used in Version 5.0 (FileAnchor issue)
> - From the MoosePanel, right clicking on a FAMIXClassesGroup to build the UML diagram:
>         - sometimes, the panel is completely white (since no error, or exception are raised, it is difficult to know why)
>         - when the UML class diagram appears, it is no zoomable and there is no way to export it. We had to hack the visualization to inspect the view in order to get access to the zooms and the exports.
>         - sometimes, I reorganized the figure before exportation, but in that cases, the resulting figure didn’t contain the whole diagram.
> - When querying a collection of FAMIXEntity, it would be great to get an answer even if the result is empty.
>
> Where can I put some new issues? Have we migrated from google code?
>
> Am I the only one teaching Moose? Having these issues?
>
> Cheers,
> Anne

Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Feedbacks from Moose Course

Anne Etien
Guillaume from Synectique made the course. I was personally just managing the project and the course unit in its whole.
Perhaps he may share material, I don’t know.

Anne

Le 9 juin 2015 à 08:51, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Nice to have some report about doing Moose course.
> Do you use any material (slides, exercices, ...) that might be
> interesting to share among us ?
>

> On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 6:55 PM, Anne Etien <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Last week, we made (Guillaume Larchevêque and my self) 6 hours about Moose. Guillaume was using Moose 5.0 and me the latest stable 5.1 version.
>> The purpose was, after an introduction to Moose to be able to analyse a real project with a reasonable size (35 to 420 FAMIXClasses) in order to evaluate its quality.
>>
>> We met some issues:
>> - MSE file generated by VerveineJ could not be used in Version 5.0 (FileAnchor issue)
>> - From the MoosePanel, right clicking on a FAMIXClassesGroup to build the UML diagram:
>>        - sometimes, the panel is completely white (since no error, or exception are raised, it is difficult to know why)
>>        - when the UML class diagram appears, it is no zoomable and there is no way to export it. We had to hack the visualization to inspect the view in order to get access to the zooms and the exports.
>>        - sometimes, I reorganized the figure before exportation, but in that cases, the resulting figure didn’t contain the whole diagram.
>> - When querying a collection of FAMIXEntity, it would be great to get an answer even if the result is empty.
>>
>> Where can I put some new issues? Have we migrated from google code?
>>
>> Am I the only one teaching Moose? Having these issues?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Anne

> Serge Stinckwich
> UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
> http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Feedbacks from Moose Course

stepharo

>> Where can I put some new issues? Have we migrated from google code?
> This is a good question and we need to act. Anne, if nobody complain to this email within the next 24 hours, then open a github account called moosetechnology and add your issue there. As simple as that.
>
>> Am I the only one teaching Moose? Having these issues?
> I also teach moose and I did not face these issues.

Are you teaching moose or roassal?
> Regarding the UML, I see that there is no tab for the UML diagram when browsing a set of famix classes. Maybe we should have one no?
Alex is there a way to know the size the window in which roassal is
displayed?

> Also, the system complexity and the tree map should have a legend. We have an efficient way in Roassal to build legends.
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre

Re: Feedbacks from Moose Course

stepharo
At workshops time is very limited, so I use only stuff that is
> prepared and tested. As these workshops are not so often,
> I mostly have to spend half a day making sure everything
> works again with the latest (or sometimes not the latest)
> version of Moose.
>
> These kind of issues are the reason we can't get people like
> Steve Freeman to use Moose. They run into too much
> problems getting started with Moose.

I do not get it. Moose has not been changed recently so you are talking
about Roassal.
What is clear is that synectiquers do not update Roassal anymore. So
this is sad but
  I do understand them, we are a small company and we cannot change all
the time.
I do not get why the API of Roassal is changing so frequently.

Stef