Few days old 6.1 image now leaves window trails?

Few days old 6.1 image now leaves window trails?

Tim Mackinnon
Hi there - I’ve been running in a 6.1 64bit image for a few days - doing a few experiments at lunch times, debugging things etc. I have had a few infinite loops that I’ve had to Cmd-. Out of  and clean up lots of windows (whoever came up with the close all windows to right is a star!).

Anyway, I just noticed that now when I drag windows around in the world - they leave lots of window trails around. Redrawing the screen cleans it up - but I’m wondering what causes this?

I tried running the the TimeProfiler and 91% of the time when dragging a window around is in BlockClosure>>newProcess but this doesn’t seem out of what with another image that doesn’t exhibit this behaviour?

Is there something that I should do to clean up? I wondered if I might find some stuck process in the background that was gobbling cpu - but I don’t really see that (but is there an easy way to check?).

Tim

Re: Few days old 6.1 image now leaves window trails?

Tim Mackinnon
Answering my own question - I tried the Process browser and tried suspending a few processes and then found a debug window that when closed fixed the problem.

Tim

> On 7 Sep 2017, at 19:46, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi there - I’ve been running in a 6.1 64bit image for a few days - doing a few experiments at lunch times, debugging things etc. I have had a few infinite loops that I’ve had to Cmd-. Out of  and clean up lots of windows (whoever came up with the close all windows to right is a star!).
>
> Anyway, I just noticed that now when I drag windows around in the world - they leave lots of window trails around. Redrawing the screen cleans it up - but I’m wondering what causes this?
>
> I tried running the the TimeProfiler and 91% of the time when dragging a window around is in BlockClosure>>newProcess but this doesn’t seem out of what with another image that doesn’t exhibit this behaviour?
>
> Is there something that I should do to clean up? I wondered if I might find some stuck process in the background that was gobbling cpu - but I don’t really see that (but is there an easy way to check?).
>
> Tim

Re: Few days old 6.1 image now leaves window trails?

Tim Mackinnon
It’s happened a few more times and I’ve noticed that the culprit in the process explorer is
(40) Morphic UI Process: <something that isn’t nil> <—— this one
(40) Morphic UI Process: nil

If I terminate the not nil one (and sometimes there are 2) then things seem to clear up. Not sure which of my debug windows causes this, but it seems like it happens.

tim

> On 7 Sep 2017, at 19:53, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Answering my own question - I tried the Process browser and tried suspending a few processes and then found a debug window that when closed fixed the problem.
>

> Tim
>
>> On 7 Sep 2017, at 19:46, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi there - I’ve been running in a 6.1 64bit image for a few days - doing a few experiments at lunch times, debugging things etc. I have had a few infinite loops that I’ve had to Cmd-. Out of  and clean up lots of windows (whoever came up with the close all windows to right is a star!).
>>
>> Anyway, I just noticed that now when I drag windows around in the world - they leave lots of window trails around. Redrawing the screen cleans it up - but I’m wondering what causes this?
>>
>> I tried running the the TimeProfiler and 91% of the time when dragging a window around is in BlockClosure>>newProcess but this doesn’t seem out of what with another image that doesn’t exhibit this behaviour?
>>
>> Is there something that I should do to clean up? I wondered if I might find some stuck process in the background that was gobbling cpu - but I don’t really see that (but is there an easy way to check?).
>>
>> Tim

Re: Few days old 6.1 image now leaves window trails?

Manuel Leuenberger
Interesting, I had exactly the same experience today. Killing the non-nil morphic process did the trick, and a debug window was also involved. I thought I screwed something up, but maybe there's more to it.

Re: Few days old 6.1 image now leaves window trails?

Ben Coman

On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 2:46 AM, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi there - I’ve been running in a 6.1 64bit image for a few days - doing a few experiments at lunch times, debugging things etc. I have had a few infinite loops that I’ve had to Cmd-. Out of  and clean up lots of windows (whoever came up with the close all windows to right is a star!).

Thx. Open source is all about scratching your itch.

Anyway, I just noticed that now when I drag windows around in the world - they leave lots of window trails around. Redrawing the screen cleans it up - but I’m wondering what causes this?

This crops up from time to time (I've experience it occasionally) but the problem has not been definitively isolated.  To me it seems environment has an effect.
Which OS what graphics chipset do you have?

cheers -ben

Re: Few days old 6.1 image now leaves window trails?

Peter Uhnak
This has happen during e.g. failed compilation.

Object compile: '^^'.