Few thoughts about Google Summer of Code

12345

Re: Few thoughts about Google Summer of Code

drush66
Well I guess we can quite quickly create huge list of things that need
to be done. But since we are a very small community there is no chance
we could attack all of them, we need to concentrate on few ones that
provide most bang for the buck so to say. I think that we need to
thank web tools (Seaside, Aida ..) for the small renaissance we are
having, and my 2c is that we need to focus on that. It is growth area
where inovation counts, and where we stand some chance. So we need
more ready to be made components, tutorials, examples, get more
integration with various web development services, perfect integration
with javascript and css libraries and gadgets, NoSQL databases,
message queues, HTML 5 and such. If we make reasonable progress there,
some fresh developers might get attracted and other things could be
addressed.

Another growth area is mobile, but I think we still do not have
perspective entry there like in web domain.

Davorin Rusevljan
http://www.cloud208.com/

Re: Few thoughts about Google Summer of Code

Paolo Bonzini-2
On 10/29/2010 12:29 PM, Geert Claes wrote:
>> ... Consider that we already present two big hurdles that we require
>> people to get past:
>> - The prospective user can't use his favorite editor
>> - The prospective user can't use his favorite source code control tools
>
> What is the developer's favorite editor/IDE and why?  As mentioned before,
> this is all about the User eXperience.  The developer probably doesn't care
> what source code control system is being used, as long as it does the job
> and is easy to use.

It sure cares!  If the VCS doesn't allow easy integration of code with
other kinds of assets (pictures, CSS, schemas expressed as DDL, etc.)
and with other people on the team who work on those assets, developers
_are_ going to complain.

Regarding editors, it takes me a while to rewire my muscle memory from
vi to mouse-based action in a Smalltalk browser; I do it only because of
the inspectors and debugger etc.  For a newbie, however you can
reasonably expect resistence, especially if the UI shows rough edges
(completion in Pharo never seems to use the keyboard shortcuts I'd use,
for example).

Paolo

Re: Few thoughts about Google Summer of Code

Geert Claes
Administrator
Geert Claes wrote
...The developer probably doesn't care what source code control system is being used, as long as it does the job and is easy to use.
Paolo Bonzini wrote
It sure cares!  If the VCS doesn't allow easy integration of code with other kinds of assets (pictures, CSS, schemas expressed as DDL, etc.) and with other people on the team who work on those assets, developers
_are_ going to complain.

Paolo Bonzini wrote
The biggest target audience are probably those who expect mouse-based (or touch gesture) interaction though

On 10/29/2010 12:48 PM, Geert Claes wrote:
>> It sure cares!  If the VCS doesn't allow easy integration of code with
>> other kinds of assets (pictures, CSS, schemas expressed as DDL, etc.) and
>> with other people on the team who work on those assets, developers
>> _are_ going to complain.
>
> That's why I said, "as long as it does the job" :)

Heh, so I was implying incorrectly that, as far as you were concerned,
VCS that cared only about Smalltalk source did the job. :)

>> Regarding editors, it takes me a while to rewire my muscle memory from vi
>> to mouse-based action in a Smalltalk browser ...
>
> The biggest target audience are probably those who expect mouse-based (or
> touch gesture) interaction though

Not sure here... sure there's a lot of people using TextMate, but
there's a lot of people using vi too.  Anybody who had a past career as
a sysadmin is likely to have picked it up---and likely stayed with it
for Ruby/Python jobs too.

Paolo

Re: Few thoughts about Google Summer of Code

jarober
I think Paolo is right here.  I presented Smalltalk to a bunch of Ruby user groups in 2009, and the reactions were pretty similar:

"That's way cool (especially the debugger), but why can't I use (insert text editor or VCS here)"

I'm not suggesting that we ditch the image; just that we recognize the hurdle there

On Oct 29, 2010, at 7:14 AM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> On 10/29/2010 12:48 PM, Geert Claes wrote:
>>> It sure cares!  If the VCS doesn't allow easy integration of code with
>>> other kinds of assets (pictures, CSS, schemas expressed as DDL, etc.) and
>>> with other people on the team who work on those assets, developers
>>> _are_ going to complain.
>>
>> That's why I said, "as long as it does the job" :)
>
> Heh, so I was implying incorrectly that, as far as you were concerned, VCS that cared only about Smalltalk source did the job. :)
>
>>> Regarding editors, it takes me a while to rewire my muscle memory from vi
>>> to mouse-based action in a Smalltalk browser ...
>>
>> The biggest target audience are probably those who expect mouse-based (or
>> touch gesture) interaction though
>
> Not sure here... sure there's a lot of people using TextMate, but there's a lot of people using vi too.  Anybody who had a past career as a sysadmin is likely to have picked it up---and likely stayed with it for Ruby/Python jobs too.
>
> Paolo

James Robertson
http://www.jarober.com

Re: Few thoughts about Google Summer of Code

SergeStinckwich
On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 6:22 PM, James Robertson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think Paolo is right here.  I presented Smalltalk to a bunch of Ruby user groups in 2009, and the reactions were pretty similar:
>
> "That's way cool (especially the debugger), but why can't I use (insert text editor or VCS here)"
>
> I'm not suggesting that we ditch the image; just that we recognize the hurdle there

So if we have a Smalltalk text pane with a VI or emacs bindings, they
will be happy ? ;-)

--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk

Re: Few thoughts about Google Summer of Code

jarober
Not so much :)

Editor preference seems to be somewhat religious in nature :)

On Oct 29, 2010, at 7:26 AM, Serge Stinckwich wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 6:22 PM, James Robertson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I think Paolo is right here.  I presented Smalltalk to a bunch of Ruby user groups in 2009, and the reactions were pretty similar:
>>
>> "That's way cool (especially the debugger), but why can't I use (insert text editor or VCS here)"
>>
>> I'm not suggesting that we ditch the image; just that we recognize the hurdle there
>
> So if we have a Smalltalk text pane with a VI or emacs bindings, they
> will be happy ? ;-)
>
> --
> Serge Stinckwich
> UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam
> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
> http://doesnotunderstand.org/

James Robertson
http://www.jarober.com

Re: Few thoughts about Google Summer of Code

drush66

No, we would need to find a way to add curly braces ...

Davorin Rusevljan
http://www.cloud208.com

On Oct 29, 2010 1:27 PM, "Serge Stinckwich" <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 6:22 PM, James Robertson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think Paolo is right...

So if we have a Smalltalk text pane with a VI or emacs bindings, they
will be happy ? ;-)

--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
h...

Re: Few thoughts about Google Summer of Code

Steven Kelly
> On 10/29/2010 12:48 PM, Geert Claes wrote:
> >> It sure cares!  If the VCS doesn't allow easy integration of code
> >> with other kinds of assets (pictures, CSS, schemas expressed as
> >> DDL, etc.) and with other people on the team who work on those
> >> assets, developers _are_ going to complain.

VCS and source code organization is something that has now become
standard across all mainstream languages (i.e. Java and C# :->). Your
source code should be saved in class files, in a directory structure
that mirrors the package/namespace structure. Other assets are stored
and versioned in a similar way. You can use any VCSs with any
programming language; indeed, you may be more attached to a VCS than a
language. You will use one VCS for a project, but you may use multiple
languages.

Similar things can be said for IDEs and VMs: you probably pick one and
stick to it, although you use multiple languages.

People choose a programming environment based on (most important first):

1) what everybody else is using
2) what seems familiar to them
3) what is cool
4) what is good

Based on that, it's obvious Smalltalk is not going to succeed in a big
way in the foreseeable future. What we need to look at are what areas we
lose out on in 2), and could be changed to fit what everybody else is
doing, without losing much in 4).

To my mind, source code in class files and normal VCS would be doable in
Smalltalk, without losing anything major. In contrast, image-based
development is a major factor in our competitive advantage, allowing
debugging, experimentation etc. It's hard to imagine image-based
development with Eclipse or VisualStudio, and implementing Smalltalk on
another existing VM is currently too hard, so I'll skip those and focus
on the low-hanging fruit.

Which Smalltalks (+/- add-on projects) have code in class files,
interface with standard VCS, and yet still have an image-based, GUI IDE?
And for those that don't, how hard would it be to get there?

Steve

On 10/29/2010 01:26 PM, Serge Stinckwich wrote:

>> I think Paolo is right here.  I presented Smalltalk to a bunch of
>> Ruby user groups in 2009, and the reactions were pretty similar:
>>
>> "That's way cool (especially the debugger), but why can't I use
>> (insert text editor or VCS here)"
>>
>> I'm not suggesting that we ditch the image; just that we recognize
>> the hurdle there
>
> So if we have a Smalltalk text pane with a VI or emacs bindings, they
> will be happy ?;-)

For the editor there's basically no satisfying solution.  With good
completion and good tools, it's possible that people will just accept
losing their beloved key bindings.  (Note that IMHO there's in general a
UI problem especially in Squeak/Pharo, it's not just about the bindings,
but I don't want to digress).

For the VCS, I've always been surprised there's no git or svn backend
for Monticello.  It wouldn't seem _too_ hard to have a directory per
package and replace each .mcz file with a commit in that directory.

Alternatively, there's actually very little GST-specific code in
http://github.com/timfel/gitocello (a Squeak+Monticello <-> GST+git
bridge), so if someone wants to play with it...

Paolo

James Robertson wrote:
> -- the not quite "standard" widgets in VisualWorks make him think
> -- the "all in one windows" thing in Pharo and Squeak make him think

I don't think these are the major issues these days. VW's widgets are
close to standard widgets these days, and most other apps' widgets
diverge from the standards anyway. Squeak will suffer far more, as its
look is further from the standard (last time I looked).

Most IDEs are very much "all in one window", so I think VW suffers more
there. The single window of Pharo and Squeak feels odd to a VW user, not
to a normal person :-). Of course Pharo and Squeak could do more to have
a single big IDE window with fixed panes, rather than the multiple
floating windows-within-a-window that they had last time I looked. Then
again, the CodeBubbles demo has got people excited, and that's pretty
close to a Smalltalk "multiple browser windows" model.
http://www.cs.brown.edu/people/acb/codebubbles_site.htm

Steve

On 10/29/2010 01:36 PM, Steven Kelly wrote:

> To my mind, source code in class files and normal VCS would be doable in
> Smalltalk, without losing anything major. In contrast, image-based
> development is a major factor in our competitive advantage, allowing
> debugging, experimentation etc. It's hard to imagine image-based
> development with Eclipse or VisualStudio, and implementing Smalltalk on
> another existing VM is currently too hard, so I'll skip those and focus
> on the low-hanging fruit.
>
> Which Smalltalks (+/- add-on projects) have code in class files,
> interface with standard VCS

GNU Smalltalk has code in class files, but this ability is (for now)
hampered when you launch the IDE.  However, we do have easy to implement
ideas on how to allow filing out packages from the IDE (basically
borrowing the "package is category" ideas of Monticello).  Adding VCS
hooks should not be hard.

Smalltalk/X had CVS integration too, no idea if it has been updated to
something more modern.

> and yet still have an image-based, GUI IDE?
> And for those that don't, how hard would it be to get there?

GNU Smalltalk's GUI is not yet 100% usable, though it's getting there.
It has inspectors, debuggers, browsers, SUnit.  It needs a bit of polishing.

Paolo

Re: Few thoughts about Google Summer of Code

Jan Vrany
On Fri, 2010-10-29 at 13:48 +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> On 10/29/2010 01:36 PM, Steven Kelly wrote:
> > To my mind, source code in class files and normal VCS would be
doable in
> > Smalltalk, without losing anything major. In contrast, image-based
> > development is a major factor in our competitive advantage, allowing
> > debugging, experimentation etc. It's hard to imagine image-based
> > development with Eclipse or VisualStudio, and implementing Smalltalk
on
> > another existing VM is currently too hard, so I'll skip those and
focus
> > on the low-hanging fruit.
> >
> > Which Smalltalks (+/- add-on projects) have code in class files,
> > interface with standard VCS
>
> GNU Smalltalk has code in class files, but this ability is (for now)
> hampered when you launch the IDE.  However, we do have easy to
implement
> ideas on how to allow filing out packages from the IDE (basically
> borrowing the "package is category" ideas of Monticello).  Adding VCS
> hooks should not be hard.
>
> Smalltalk/X had CVS integration too, no idea if it has been updated
> something more modern.

Smalltalk/X supports CVS and SubVersion.

> > and yet still have an image-based, GUI IDE?

Smalltalk/X for instance :-)

Jan

> > And for those that don't, how hard would it be to get there?
>
> GNU Smalltalk's GUI is not yet 100% usable, though it's getting
there.
> It has inspectors, debuggers, browsers, SUnit.  It needs a bit of
polishing.

> Paolo

Re: Few thoughts about Google Summer of Code

Geert Claes
Administrator
Paolo Bonzini-2 wrote

Sounds very interesting, what would the main advantages be of using a GIT backend?

Jan Vrany wrote:
> > On 10/29/2010 01:36 PM, Steven Kelly wrote:
> > > Which Smalltalks (+/- add-on projects) have code in class files,
> > > interface with standard VCS
>
> Smalltalk/X supports CVS and SubVersion.
>
> > > and yet still have an image-based, GUI IDE?
>
> Smalltalk/X for instance :-)

Thanks! But to return to my criteria:
1) what everybody else is using
2) what seems familiar to them
3) what is cool
4) what is good

Even in the Smalltalk community, Smalltalk/X isn't 1). And looking at
the web pages, with not even a single picture of the IDE or Smalltalk/X
applications on the Products > Smalltalk/X pages, it may find itself in
pretty big trouble on 3). That's a real shame, in an era when even
one-person companies and research projects have smart videos showing off
their products. Particularly since from what I hear, Smalltalk/X does
pretty well on 4).

Sorry if that sounds harsh - I do understand the other side of the coin,
i.e. that there's hardly any money to be made by selling software
development environments these days. Good luck to eXept with expecco,
which I guess is what they focus on now.

Steve

Re: Few thoughts about Google Summer of Code

'Markus Rips'
>Squeak uses ToolBuilder to describe UI elements - lists, buttons, code
>panes, menus, and the like. Has anyone considered writing a
>SeasideToolBuilder to generate HTML/CSS?
>
>frank

Hi Frank

seaBreeze is such a tool for seaside.

If someone is interested, have a look at:

http://seabreeze.heeg.de/

Markus

________________________________
Markus Rips * Senior Consultant / certified Scrum Master *
[hidden email]
phone: +49 231 9 75 99 24 * fax: +49 231 9 75 99 20
Georg Heeg eK Dortmund
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Dortmund  A 12812

On 10/29/2010 02:12 PM, Geert Claes wrote:

>> ... For the VCS, I've always been surprised there's no git or svn backend
>> for Monticello.  It wouldn't seem _too_ hard to have a directory per
>> package and replace each .mcz file with a commit in that directory.
>>
>> Alternatively, there's actually very little GST-specific code in
>> http://github.com/timfel/gitocello (a Squeak+Monticello<->  GST+git
>> bridge), so if someone wants to play with it...
>
> Sounds very interesting, what would the main advantages be of using a GIT
> backend?

It is what you use for other assets.  So the Monticello git-backed repo
could be simply a subtree of the project-wide repo.

Paolo

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 1:36 PM, Steven Kelly <[hidden email]> wrote:
> People choose a programming environment based on (most important first):
>
> 1) what everybody else is using
> 2) what seems familiar to them
> 3) what is cool
> 4) what is good

IMHO there is one criteria that comes in front of those. First
environment needs to be able to produce cool results. If environment
can do some others can not, people will be using it even if it
requires use of line editor. So being able to produce cool aps is our
priority zero.

Davorin Rusevljan
http://www.cloud208.com/

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 2:23 PM, Paolo Bonzini <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 10/29/2010 02:12 PM, Geert Claes wrote:
>> Sounds very interesting, what would the main advantages be of using a GIT
>> backend?
>
> It is what you use for other assets.  So the Monticello git-backed repo
> could be simply a subtree of the project-wide repo.

There would be also one trivial, but possibly important social aspect.
Some Smalltalk projects might be hosted on GitHub, and become visible
to larger audience.

Davorin Rusevljan
http://www.cloud208.com/

Davorin Rusevljan wrote:

> Steven Kelly <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > People choose a programming environment based on (most important
> > first):
> >
> > 1) what everybody else is using
> > 2) what seems familiar to them
> > 3) what is cool
> > 4) what is good
>
> IMHO there is one criteria that comes in front of those. First
> environment needs to be able to produce cool results. If environment
> can do some others can not, people will be using it even if it
> requires use of line editor. So being able to produce cool aps is our
> priority zero.

To some extent that intersects with 3), and I'd include it in 4) too: what you can produce, and how productive you are in doing it. I stand by my claim that 1) and 2) are more important in achieving mass success. 4) just helps guarantee a long life.

Mind you, 1) should be rephrased to "what everybody else seems to be using", and a big score on 3) can outweigh a smaller difference on 1) and 2) over time: your message will get media coverage and some evaluators, helping to address 2) and 1) bit by bit.

Steve
12345