File Directory error (Pharo 1.2.1)

Robert Sirois
Here's the error when adding or using a file directory:

The method SmalltalkImage platformName has been deprecated.
Use Smalltalk os platformName

RS

Re: File Directory error (Pharo 1.2.1)

Philippe Marschall
2011/7/8 Robert Sirois <[hidden email]>:
> Here's the error when adding or using a file directory:
> The method SmalltalkImage platformName has been deprecated.
> Use Smalltalk os platformName

That explains what the problem and the solution is.

Cheers
Philippe

RE: File Directory error (Pharo 1.2.1)

Robert Sirois
Right, I just wasn't sure if this was expected for the newest release or not.

RS

> Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 12:54:42 +0200

> Subject: Re: [Seaside] File Directory error (Pharo 1.2.1)
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
>
> 2011/7/8 Robert Sirois <[hidden email]>:
> > Here's the error when adding or using a file directory:
> > The method SmalltalkImage platformName has been deprecated.
> > Use Smalltalk os platformName
>
> That explains what the problem and the solution is.
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

Re: File Directory error (Pharo 1.2.1)

Philippe Marschall
2011/7/8 Robert Sirois <[hidden email]>:
> Right, I just wasn't sure if this was expected for the newest release or
> not.

If you provide more information (stack trace, versions, …) we may be
able to help.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: File Directory error (Pharo 1.2.1)

Johan Brichau-2

On 08 Jul 2011, at 18:24, Philippe Marschall wrote:

2011/7/8 Robert Sirois <[hidden email]>:
Right, I just wasn't sure if this was expected for the newest release or
not.

If you provide more information (stack trace, versions, …) we may be
able to help.

The error is in Sport2 package
More precisely: SpEnvironment>>onWindows

It means Sport needs to be updated, but is the new code valid for other Smalltalks?

Johan

Re: File Directory error (Pharo 1.2.1)

dtrussardi@tiscali.it
My environment is based on Pharo 1-0 and Seaside 3.0.0-alpha5.15,  run on MacBook.

When i work with File Library   addAllFilesIn: addFileAt: methods

the system erase the error:

MessageNotUnderstood: receiver of "binary" is nil

Relative specific method is

contentsOfFile: aString binary: aBoolean | stream | stream := aBoolean ifTrue: [ (FileDirectory default oldFileNamed: aString) binary; yourself ] ifFalse: [ (MultiByteFileStream oldFileNamed: aString) ascii; wantsLineEndConversion: true; yourself ]. ^[ stream contents ] ensure: [ stream close ].

I think is the same problem relative to FileDirectory .

Any idea for  solve the problem ?

Thank,

Dario

2011/7/11 [hidden email] <[hidden email]>:

> My environment is based on Pharo 1-0 and Seaside 3.0.0-alpha5.15,  run on
> MacBook.
> When i work with File Library   addAllFilesIn: addFileAt: methods
> the system erase the error:
> MessageNotUnderstood: receiver of "binary" is nil
> Relative specific method is
> contentsOfFile: aString binary: aBoolean | stream | stream := aBoolean
> ifTrue: [ (FileDirectory default oldFileNamed: aString) binary; yourself ]
> ifFalse: [ (MultiByteFileStream oldFileNamed: aString) ascii;
> wantsLineEndConversion: true; yourself ]. ^[ stream contents ] ensure: [
> stream close ].
>
> I think is the same problem relative to FileDirectory .
> Any idea for  solve the problem ?

Can you experiment at bit? If you do
FileDirectory default oldFileNamed: aString
what do you get? Does the file actually exist?

Cheers
Philippe

Re: File Directory error (Pharo 1.2.1)

dtrussardi@tiscali.it

>> My environment is based on Pharo 1-0 and Seaside 3.0.0-alpha5.15,  run on
>> MacBook.
>> When i work with File Library   addAllFilesIn: addFileAt: methods
>> the system erase the error:
>> MessageNotUnderstood: receiver of "binary" is nil
>> Relative specific method is
>> contentsOfFile: aString binary: aBoolean | stream | stream := aBoolean
>> ifTrue: [ (FileDirectory default oldFileNamed: aString) binary; yourself ]
>> ifFalse: [ (MultiByteFileStream oldFileNamed: aString) ascii;
>> wantsLineEndConversion: true; yourself ]. ^[ stream contents ] ensure: [
>> stream close ].
>>
>> I think is the same problem relative to FileDirectory .
>> Any idea for  solve the problem ?
>
> Can you experiment at bit? If you do
> FileDirectory default oldFileNamed: aString
> what do you get? Does the file actually exist?

OK,

        in the default directory ( ....../Contents/Resources)  i have 2 file.

        datiSocietary.sixx

        cerchio30.jpg

FileDirectory default oldFileNamed: 'datiSocietari.sixx'

        answer an : MultiByteFileStream: '/users/dtr/GemTools-1.0b6.app/Contents/Resources/datiSocietari.sixx'

FileDirectory default oldFileNamed: 'cerchio30.jpg'

        answer nil

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

File Library notes

A) when  i do the WAFileLibrarySubclass addAllFilesIn: '/Dati-IST/ISTWork/ImmaginiBase'

the method  do loop on files in the path .

        addAllFilesIn: aPathString
        "adds all files in the directory specified by aPathString to the current file library"

        **** THIS LOOP WORK FINE.  The files  exist. ****
        (GRPlatform current filesIn: aPathString) do: [ :each | self addFileAt: each ]

B) The error is in the action  do on the specific interaction:

        addFileAt: aPath
        "adds the file specified by aFilename to the current file library"
        self
                addFileAt: aPath
                contents: (GRPlatform current
                                contentsOfFile: aPath
                                binary: (self isBinaryAt: aPath))

Ciao,

        Dario _______________________________________________
seaside mailing list

2011/7/12 [hidden email] <[hidden email]>:

>>> My environment is based on Pharo 1-0 and Seaside 3.0.0-alpha5.15,  run on
>>> MacBook.
>>> When i work with File Library   addAllFilesIn: addFileAt: methods
>>> the system erase the error:
>>> MessageNotUnderstood: receiver of "binary" is nil
>>> Relative specific method is
>>> contentsOfFile: aString binary: aBoolean | stream | stream := aBoolean
>>> ifTrue: [ (FileDirectory default oldFileNamed: aString) binary; yourself ]
>>> ifFalse: [ (MultiByteFileStream oldFileNamed: aString) ascii;
>>> wantsLineEndConversion: true; yourself ]. ^[ stream contents ] ensure: [
>>> stream close ].
>>>
>>> I think is the same problem relative to FileDirectory .
>>> Any idea for  solve the problem ?
>>
>> Can you experiment at bit? If you do
>> FileDirectory default oldFileNamed: aString
>> what do you get? Does the file actually exist?
>

> OK,
>
>        in the default directory ( ....../Contents/Resources)  i have 2 file.

Uhm, you're using a "OneClick"-image, right? The whole file io and
resources have never been tested on those.

>        datiSocietary.sixx
>
>        cerchio30.jpg
>

> FileDirectory default oldFileNamed: 'datiSocietari.sixx'
>
>        answer an :              MultiByteFileStream: '/users/dtr/GemTools-1.0b6.app/Contents/Resources/datiSocietari.sixx'
>

> FileDirectory default oldFileNamed: 'cerchio30.jpg'
>
>        answer          nil

Ok‽ That looks more like a Pharo issue to me. What does the following answer?
FileDirectory default entries
Can step through the code an check if something differently happens?
There are no white spaces or non-ascii characters in the file names
involved, are there?

> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> File Library notes
>
> A) when  i do the               WAFileLibrarySubclass   addAllFilesIn:   '/Dati-IST/ISTWork/ImmaginiBase'
>
> the method  do loop on files in the path .
>
>        addAllFilesIn: aPathString
>        "adds all files in the directory specified by aPathString to the current file library"
>
>        **** THIS LOOP WORK FINE.  The files  exist. ****
>        (GRPlatform current filesIn: aPathString) do: [ :each | self addFileAt: each ]
>
> B) The error is in the action  do on the specific interaction:
>
>        addFileAt: aPath
>        "adds the file specified by aFilename to the current file library"
>        self
>                addFileAt: aPath
>                contents: (GRPlatform current
>                                contentsOfFile: aPath
>                                binary: (self isBinaryAt: aPath))

Can you try that outside of a OneClick image and see whether it works there?

Cheers
Philippe

Re: File Directory error (Pharo 1.2.1)

dtrussardi@tiscali.it
Hi,

        some time ago i found a problem when upload one   WAFileLibrarySubclass   with the command:

                WAFileLibrarySubclass addAllFilesIn: '/Dati-IST/ISTWork/ImmaginiBase'

>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> File Library notes
>>
>> A) when  i do the               WAFileLibrarySubclass   addAllFilesIn:   '/Dati-IST/ISTWork/ImmaginiBase'
>>
>> the method  do loop on files in the path .
>>
>>        addAllFilesIn: aPathString
>>        "adds all files in the directory specified by aPathString to the current file library"

        I confirm this point.

>>        **** THIS LOOP WORK FINE.  The files  exist. ****
>>        (GRPlatform current filesIn: aPathString) do: [ :each | self addFileAt: each ]
>>
>> B) The error is in the action  do on the specific interaction:
>>
>>        addFileAt: aPath
>>        "adds the file specified by aFilename to the current file library"
>>        self
>>                addFileAt: aPath
>>                contents: (GRPlatform current
>>                                contentsOfFile: aPath
>>                                binary: (self isBinaryAt: aPath))

The error is erase into contentsOfFile: aString binary: aBoolean   method

                 by : (FileDirectory default oldFileNamed: aString) answer nil

         because it open  the  file in Read-Wriite mode but the file don't have write authorization.

contentsOfFile: aString binary: aBoolean
        | stream |
        stream := aBoolean
                ifTrue: [ (FileDirectory default oldFileNamed:  aString)

** at this point binary is sent to nil  and error is erase ***

                        binary;
                        yourself ]
                ifFalse: [ (MultiByteFileStream oldFileNamed: aString)

** at this point binary is sent to nil  and error is erase ***

                        ascii;
                        wantsLineEndConversion: true;
                        yourself ].
        ^ [ stream contents ] ensure: [ stream close ]

I think it's a valid  solution change

                                 the: oldFileNamed: aString)

                                into:   readOnlyFileNamed: aString)

        for open the file only in read modality.

        Because:

                        point one : the A) interaction found the files in any case

                        point two :  the files can have only read authorization.

                        point three : the     contentsOfFile: aString binary: aBoolean is call only by in this step

Any other considerations ?

        Dario