File for download

Louis LaBrunda
Hi,

I'm playing with wkhtmltopdf that can convert html/css into a PDF file.  If
anyone is interested it can be found here:
http://code.google.com/p/wkhtmltopdf/.  It should run on Windows and Linux
(I've tested it on Windows).  It is run as a command line program.  You
give it a URL or html input filename and an output pdf filename (where it
writes the pdf file).  So far I like it but it would be nice if it broke
pages at table row and not in the middle of a row.

Now to my question.  What is the best way to deliver the file for download?
I can put the file where Apache can download it.  Or I can read it into a
string and serve it up from Seaside.

If I go the Apache route, how would I automatically trigger the download
after creating the file?

If I serve it from Seaside, how do I do that?

Many thanks in advance, Lou

RE: File for download

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Louis,

Once you have the bytes in hand the following should do the trick,

self requestContext respond:
        [:response |
        response document: ((#[1 2 3] seasideMimeDocument)
                                        mimeType: 'application/pdf';
                                        fileName: 'report.pdf';
                                        yourself)].

-Boris

File for download

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Boris,

Thanks for the really fast response, I will give it a try.

Lou

>Louis,
>Once you have the bytes in hand the following should do the trick,

>self requestContext respond:
> [:response |
> response document: ((#[1 2 3] seasideMimeDocument)
> mimeType: 'application/pdf';
> fileName: 'report.pdf';
> yourself)].
>
>-Boris

File for download

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Boris,

This works great!  Sorry for not saying so sooner.  Is there a way to get
the download to open in another browser window/tab?  Some browsers do, some
don't.

Lou

>Louis,
>Once you have the bytes in hand the following should do the trick,
>self requestContext respond:
> [:response |
> response document: ((#[1 2 3] seasideMimeDocument)
> mimeType: 'application/pdf';
> fileName: 'report.pdf';
> yourself)].
>-Boris

RE: File for download

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
You could try specifying #target: of the anchor (if it's the anchor that
has your callback), but really I wouldn't worry much about that aspect
of browser behavior given that you'll never have full control of it.

-Boris

This works great!  Sorry for not saying so sooner.  Is there a way to
get the download to open in another browser window/tab?  Some browsers
do, some don't.

Lou

>Louis,
>Once you have the bytes in hand the following should do the trick, self

>requestContext respond:
> [:response |
> response document: ((#[1 2 3] seasideMimeDocument)
> mimeType: 'application/pdf';
> fileName: 'report.pdf';
> yourself)].
>-Boris

File for download

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Boris,

Thanks for the amazingly fast response!  Are you just sitting around
waiting for me to ask you dumb questions:)

I think this is good advice, I was slowing coming to the same conclusion.

Lou