File size limit

Theo Pronk
Hi,
I'm reading a text file using a readstream and it fails with unidentied
object error. If I cut the size down it works file, it looks like it has
reached a limit and this is causing the "file" to become nil.

Note: I've used this method (nextline) of reading text files on many an
occassion without problems.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks,
Theo

Re: File size limit

Ian Bartholomew-18
Theo,

> I'm reading a text file using a readstream and it fails with
> unidentied object error. If I cut the size down it works file, it
> looks like it has reached a limit and this is causing the "file" to
> become nil.

How big is the file that fails?

--
Ian

Use the Reply-To address to contact me.

Re: File size limit

Ian Bartholomew-18
Theo,

> I'm reading a text file using a readstream and it fails with
> unidentied object error. If I cut the size down it works file, it
> looks like it has reached a limit and this is causing the "file" to
> become nil.

How big is the file that fails?

--
Ian

Re: File size limit

Theo Pronk
Hi Ian,

Had some problem with e-mail and lost the first "complete" message with
all sorts of information and stuff...

Anyway I meant to at least include the size which is just over 3 Mbytes.

Regards,
Theo
===================

Ian Bartholomew wrote:

> Theo,
>

>>I'm reading a text file using a readstream and it fails with
>>unidentied object error. If I cut the size down it works file, it
>>looks like it has reached a limit and this is causing the "file" to
>>become nil.
>

> How big is the file that fails?

Re: File size limit

Ian Bartholomew-18
Theo,

> Anyway I meant to at least include the size which is just over 3
> Mbytes.

You shouldn't have any trouble with that at all [1].  I just created a
30MB file and evaluated the following without any problems.

fs := FileStream read: 'c:\x.txt'.
[text := fs contents] ensure: [fs close].
text size  "answers 30670849"

fs := FileStream read: 'c:\x.txt'.
[[fs atEnd] whileFalse: [fs next]] ensure: [fs close].

fs := FileStream read: 'c:\x.txt'.
[[fs atEnd] whileFalse: [fs nextAvailable: 10000]] ensure: [fs close].

What is the actual walkback you are getting and how are you trying to
create and access the stream?.

[1] As far as I know there are no limits imposed by Dolphin but I tried
with a 400MB file and ran into horrendous problems with disk swapping
that necessitated the use of the power off button!

--
Ian

Use the Reply-To address to contact me.

Re: File size limit

Bill Schwab-2
Theo,

> Had some problem with e-mail and lost the first "complete" message with
> all sorts of information and stuff...
>
> Anyway I meant to at least include the size which is just over 3 Mbytes.

Unless you meant to say 3 Gigabytes, the size should not be a problem even
on 9x.  You mentioned #nextLine.  Is the data cr/lf delimited?

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: File size limit

Theo Pronk
Hi Ian/Bill,

Found the problem with your help.

It wasn't he file size at all, my code was based on an example in the
Smalltalk Companion, and I closed the file before processing the buffer.

This has been working for me for several months, so I didn't suspect the
code.

The reason it worked before was that all files input before were
relatively small and would be fully read on the first read from the file!

Basically moved the file close to after fully processing the imput.

The lesson to be learned (agaim) is, it may be easy to copy code, but
you must fully understand it before using it in a different way.

Thank, Theo

==============snip=====================
Bill wrote:
Unless you meant to say 3 Gigabytes, the size should not be a problem
even on 9x.  You mentioned #nextLine.  Is the data cr/lf delimited?

Bill

Ian wrote.

theo wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm reading a text file using a readstream and it fails with unidentied
> object error. If I cut the size down it works file, it looks like it has
> reached a limit and this is causing the "file" to become nil.

The file is comma delimited and 3.5 Mega Bytes.