FileBrowser confusion

Peter Uhnak
Is anyone actually using FileBrowser? Because either no one does or I doing something wrong.

My problem is that it is very uncomfortable to navigate filesystem. There is no way to quickly navigate to common folders (like roots of system drives and home directory). Also hidden files/folders are shown by default which means there is always hundred folders.
I would love to have these things streamlined, ideally with the option to add custom shortcuts (see picture)... so much for opening files.

As far as saving goes the only way I found to actually save file is to manually type the full path without the option to choose a folder through GUI. But since this is the way the "Save image as..." works it leads me to believe that no one is actually using it regularly, because outside of saving a file to same folder as image such behavior seems useless.

So is this something that has been considered or no one really needs this?

Thanks,
Peter

open-file.png (98K) Download Attachment

Re: FileBrowser confusion

Marcus Denker-4

> On 06 Nov 2014, at 15:55, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Is anyone actually using FileBrowser? Because either no one does or I doing something wrong.

I do not think it is used a lot...

> My problem is that it is very uncomfortable to navigate filesystem. There is no way to quickly navigate to common folders (like roots of system drives and home directory). Also hidden files/folders are shown by default which means there is always hundred folders.
> I would love to have these things streamlined, ideally with the option to add custom shortcuts (see picture)... so much for opening files.

Yes, it would be nice to improve...

> As far as saving goes the only way I found to actually save file is to manually type the full path without the option to choose a folder through GUI. But since this is the way the "Save image as..." works it leads me to believe that no one is actually using it regularly, because outside of saving a file to same folder as image such behavior seems useless.
>
> So is this something that has been considered or no one really needs this?

I think it is enough if you want to do it.

The real question is if we invest in the current FileList code or better in one based on the filesystem explore code in GT?

        Marcus

Re: FileBrowser confusion

Damien Cassou
On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 4:11 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The real question is if we invest in the current FileList code or better in one based on the filesystem explore code in GT?

I think that would make sense

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill

Re: FileBrowser confusion

philippeback
On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 3:55 PM, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I do use the FileBrowser but it is indeed in need of serious love. But on Linux, I am on Midnight Commander, and there is nothing to the beat it.

Most of the time, I use the FileBrowser to deal with my project files which are in the image directory or subfolders.
But there are quite a number of hooks (for files and directories) in the tool so one can extend it in a couple hours.

It is worth a try.

Phil

Thanks,
Peter

Re: FileBrowser confusion

Peter Uhnak
I checked out the file browser GT Inspector (I hope that is what you were referring to), unfortunately it's crashing a lot for me (it seems it can't figure out file size for large files (~4GB) and some other stuff (sockets?)).
However I don't know if Glamour is planning to turn it into full file browser or just keep for quick inspection (especially considering that most people apparently don't really need such thing).
At least to me it seems that right now enhancing the FileBrowser would be simpler.

But thank you for the responses, I'll try to play with it a bit and perhaps something good will come out of it.

Peter

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 4:41 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 7:49 PM, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
I checked out the file browser GT Inspector (I hope that is what you were referring to), unfortunately it's crashing a lot for me (it seems it can't figure out file size for large files (~4GB) and some other stuff (sockets?)).

What do you mean by a lot? Could you detail the crashing scenarios?
It is indeed known that Pharo cannot open files larger than 4GB (even that after you setup the VM specifically).

However I don't know if Glamour is planning to turn it into full file browser or just keep for quick inspection (especially considering that most people apparently don't really need such thing).

Glamour is not the same as GT. Glamour is an engine for building browsers. GT is the IDE that is built on top of Glamour. The interesting thing with Glamour is that it allows you to build your own browser succinctly. Take a look here:

At least to me it seems that right now enhancing the FileBrowser would be simpler.
But thank you for the responses, I'll try to play with it a bit and perhaps something good will come out of it.

Let's start from use cases. What do you need to achieve?

Cheers,
Doru

[...]

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: FileBrowser confusion

Peter Uhnak
It is indeed known that Pharo cannot open files larger than 4GB (even that after you setup the VM specifically).
It seems like Pharo bug

1. FileReference>>gtInspectorItemsIn: composite
column: 'Size' evaluated: [:each | each humanReadableSize] width: 100;

2. FileReference>>humanReadableSize
^ self size humanReadableSIByteSize

3. MessageNotUnderstood: False>>humanReadableSIByteSize
because "self size" returns false for files > 4GB so it fails and thus I cannot navigate to folders with such files (for example my home directory).

Thank you that looks interesting, however I would still have to add somehow "favorite folders"

Let's start from use cases. What do you need to achieve?
For example I want to export a picture from Roassal and want to save it somewhere. So I would expect a reasonable file save dialog to open so I can choose a place to store it in and not a bare text input.

The same would go for opening... I want to open some file so I would open file dialog, click on a favorite folder then the file and done... not crawl hundred places.

Peter

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 10:09 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: FileBrowser confusion

Peter Uhnak
What do you mean by a lot?
another problem I had was with privileges ... it shows folder of a root but when I click it it throws DirectoryDoesNotExist and not PermissionDenied (or something); but this is negligible issue - i clicked on the folder randomly to try the Inspector.

Also as mentioned above it shows hidden folders. Hidden folders are hidden for a reason so I would expect navigator to respect it.
And last (for now) is sorting names. By default it doesn't sort and if i sort by name it mixes files and folders.

But there is really no point in iterating these issues... all I want to have is regular FileOpen/FileClose dialog.

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 10:50 PM, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ok. Could you please open a bug report on that for the inspector?

Thank you that looks interesting, however I would still have to add somehow "favorite folders"

No problem. Here you go:
GLMTabulator new with: [ :tabulator |
tabulator column: #favorites; column: #files span: 5.
tabulator transmit to: #favorites; andShow: [ :a |
a list
title: 'Favorites';
display: { 'test' asFileReference . 'tmp' asFileReference };
format: #fullName ].
tabulator transmit from: #favorites; to: #files; andShow: [ :a |
a custom: (GLMPager new with: [ :pager |
    pager show: [ :composite :file |
         composite title: file basename.
         file gtInspectorItemsIn: composite.
         file gtInspectorContentsIn: composite ] ]) ] ];
     openOn: FileSystem disk workingDirectory

Let's start from use cases. What do you need to achieve?
For example I want to export a picture from Roassal and want to save it somewhere. So I would expect a reasonable file save dialog to open so I can choose a place to store it in and not a bare text input.
The same would go for opening... I want to open some file so I would open file dialog, click on a favorite folder then the file and done... not crawl hundred places.

Both of these facilities exist (except for the favorites part):

UITheme builder fileOpen: 'Import model from MSE file' extensions: #('mse').
UITheme builder fileSave: 'Your title here' extensions: #('mse') path: nil.

They would just need to be hooked in the right place instead of the funny text field.

[...]

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: FileBrowser confusion

Nicolai Hess

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 10:50 PM, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
It is indeed known that Pharo cannot open files larger than 4GB (even that after you setup the VM specifically).
It seems like Pharo bug

1. FileReference>>gtInspectorItemsIn: composite
column: 'Size' evaluated: [:each | each humanReadableSize] width: 100;

2. FileReference>>humanReadableSize
^ self size humanReadableSIByteSize

3. MessageNotUnderstood: False>>humanReadableSIByteSize
because "self size" returns false for files > 4GB so it fails and thus I cannot navigate to folders with such files (for example my home directory).

Ok. Could you please open a bug report on that for the inspector?

This is an issue for the linux vm :
"14250 Enable large file support on linux"

on windows, you can list directories with files > 2G

FileSystemStore returns false on #size, if the file can not be found. Thats the reason why the inspector shows the "MessageNotUnderstood: False>>humanReadableSIByteSize" error.
And the files can not be found, because the unix VM uses lstat on the directory entries to retrieve the file attributes. And lstat does not work for files with sizes larger than 32Bit.

Re: FileBrowser confusion

Peter Uhnak
Ok. Could you please open a bug report on that for the inspector?
Since as Nicolai pointed out there is this "14250 Enable large file support on linux", there is probably no point in creating an extra one.

I built custom VM with _FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 and it seems to hold, so thank you.

No problem. Here you go:
GLMTabulator new with: [ :tabulator |
tabulator column: #favorites; column: #files span: 5.
tabulator transmit to: #favorites; andShow: [ :a |
a list
title: 'Favorites';
display: { 'test' asFileReference . 'tmp' asFileReference };
format: #fullName ].
tabulator transmit from: #favorites; to: #files; andShow: [ :a |
a custom: (GLMPager new with: [ :pager |
     pager show: [ :composite :file |
          composite title: file basename.
          file gtInspectorItemsIn: composite.
          file gtInspectorContentsIn: composite ] ]) ] ];
     openOn: FileSystem disk workingDirectory
This is really cool! I will have to study this tomorrow.

UITheme builder fileOpen: 'Import model from MSE file' extensions: #('mse').
I am aware of this one, but it has all the issues mentioned in the first (and following) posts, since it is basically same as FileBrowser. That is why I was looking for an alternative.

They would just need to be hooked in the right place instead of the funny text field.
Why? From what I understood the way to build what I want would be a combination of GLM* browsers you mentioned above and in such configuration I do not see why would I need to hook up the default browsers.

Thanks,
Peter