FileChooserDialog usage?

David T. Lewis
FileChooserDialog class>>openOn: works quite nicely, but the example given
in the class comment leads to message not understood #opneOn:pattern:message:

Can we get the class comment updated with the right expected usage? A class
comment for DirectoryChooserDialog would be good too.

I do like the actual file chooser/saver dialogs, they work nicely and are
easy to use.

I have a questionabout FileAbstractSelectionDialog>>suffixList:. Not all
operating systems and file systems make use of the unixy 'name.suffix'
convention.  For example OpenVMS uses [Directory]FileName.Extension;Version
where the trailing file version number would not fit nicely. I realize that
nobody is using VMS for Squeak at the moment, so this is just an example.
My question is, would it be better to use the actual match patterns (such
as '*.txt') rather trying to construct the match pattern in suffixList: ?

Dave

Re: FileChooserDialog usage?

timrowledge

> On 21-12-2017, at 10:50 AM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> FileChooserDialog class>>openOn: works quite nicely, but the example given
> in the class comment leads to message not understood #opneOn:pattern:message:

That’s odd; no trace of that in my image.

> Can we get the class comment updated with the right expected usage? A class
> comment for DirectoryChooserDialog would be good too.

Definitely.

> I do like the actual file chooser/saver dialogs, they work nicely and are
> easy to use.

The main thing needing improvement is the multicolumn list morph. Anyone with good ideas on how to make something akin to a table morph with adjustable column widths etc, please speak up!

> I have a questionabout FileAbstractSelectionDialog>>suffixList:. Not all
> operating systems and file systems make use of the unixy 'name.suffix'
> convention.  For example OpenVMS uses [Directory]FileName.Extension;Version
> where the trailing file version number would not fit nicely. I realize that
> nobody is using VMS for Squeak at the moment, so this is just an example.
> My question is, would it be better to use the actual match patterns (such
> as '*.txt') rather trying to construct the match pattern in suffixList: ?

An excellent question. RISC OS doesn’t use file extensions either but has had to sorta-kinda mange with them over the years. VMS  doesn’t seem like a big target either but it would be nice to have a better file name system that can handle such non-unixy naming. I always did like the VMS versioning stuff.

tim
Useful random insult:- A prime candidate for natural deselection.

Re: FileChooserDialog usage?

timrowledge
With luck the updates to the file dialog stuff are now published properly. In order to try out the new dialogs when hooked up, take a look at http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2758 and file in the attached changes.

tim
An elephant is a mouse with an operating system.

On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 02:13:10PM -0800, tim Rowledge wrote:
> With luck the updates to the file dialog stuff are now published properly. In order to try out the new dialogs when hooked up, take a look at http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2758 and file in the attached changes.

I filed in FileDialogs-StartUsage.cs from the wiki page and took a quick look
at it. This makes a lot of sense now that I see it in use. There are quite a
few places in the image where these dialogs happen, and using the new ones
consistently seems like a very good improvement.

I do need to whine again about the class comment for FileChooserDialog, as it
provides a non-working example, so this still needs an update. It might help
also to just put examples into the method comments for #openOnSuffixList:label:
and #openOnPattern:label: to clarify the difference.

Overall, I like it and +1 for using these new dialogs in the image.

On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 06:08:03PM -0500, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 02:13:10PM -0800, tim Rowledge wrote:
> > With luck the updates to the file dialog stuff are now published properly. In order to try out the new dialogs when hooked up, take a look at http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2758 and file in the attached changes.
> >

> I filed in FileDialogs-StartUsage.cs from the wiki page and took a quick look
> at it. This makes a lot of sense now that I see it in use. There are quite a
> few places in the image where these dialogs happen, and using the new ones
> consistently seems like a very good improvement.
>
> I do need to whine again about the class comment for FileChooserDialog, as it
> provides a non-working example, so this still needs an update. It might help
> also to just put examples into the method comments for #openOnSuffixList:label:
> and #openOnPattern:label: to clarify the difference.
>
> Overall, I like it and +1 for using these new dialogs in the image.
>
> Dave

I tried playing around with the instance creation methods and comments,
and put the updates in the inbox as Tools-dtl.782.

Tim,

I don't know if you like the style for constructors, but the method and
class comments may be of some use.

Dave

Re: FileChooserDialog usage?

timrowledge

> On 21-12-2017, at 8:19 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I don't know if you like the style for constructors, but the method and
> class comments may be of some use.

I’ve incorporated pretty much all of them. Having *so* *much* fun finding usages of other file list dialogues and changing them.

tim
Strange OpCodes: JSP: Jump on Sexy Programmer