FileDirectory default is nil

SeanTAllen
I was trying to track down the source of two failing tests that was
only showing up on one of our production machines and found the
following:

All are with latest gemtools.

Gemtools in linux w/ local gemstone...

FileDirectory default

returns gemtools directory path

Topaz on said production machine

FileDirectory default

returns

 /opt/gemstone/product/data

Gemtools on my mac connecting to the remote gemstone...

FileDirectory default

returns nil

Is this a product of the 'remote-ness'? A bug that is mac gemtools specific?
I'm trying to test linux to remote but the connection gets blocked and
I don't really know why ( something about bridging and the vm probably ).

Re: FileDirectory default is nil

Dale
I'm not sure what you are trying to do, but ServerDirectory should behave correctly with involving the GemTools client.

I'm at home today, but I don't recall whether there are any known bugs related to FileDirectory class>>default on the Mac, but given your description it sure appears that there is a MAC bug ...

Dale
----- "Sean Allen" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| I was trying to track down the source of two failing tests that was
| only showing up on one of our production machines and found the
| following:
|
| All are with latest gemtools.
|
| Gemtools in linux w/ local gemstone...
|
| FileDirectory default
|
| returns gemtools directory path
|
| Topaz on said production machine
|
| FileDirectory default
|
| returns
|
|  /opt/gemstone/product/data
|
| Gemtools on my mac connecting to the remote gemstone...
|
| FileDirectory default
|
| returns nil
|
| Is this a product of the 'remote-ness'? A bug that is mac gemtools
| specific?
| I'm trying to test linux to remote but the connection gets blocked
| and
| I don't really know why ( something about bridging and the vm probably
| ).

Re: FileDirectory default is nil

SeanTAllen
Would the google code have listings for any gemtools bugs?

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Dale Henrichs
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm not sure what you are trying to do, but ServerDirectory should behave correctly with involving the GemTools client.
>
> I'm at home today, but I don't recall whether there are any known bugs related to FileDirectory class>>default on the Mac, but given your description it sure appears that there is a MAC bug ...
>
> Dale
> ----- "Sean Allen" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> | I was trying to track down the source of two failing tests that was
> | only showing up on one of our production machines and found the
> | following:
> |
> | All are with latest gemtools.
> |
> | Gemtools in linux w/ local gemstone...
> |
> | FileDirectory default
> |
> | returns gemtools directory path
> |
> | Topaz on said production machine
> |
> | FileDirectory default
> |
> | returns
> |
> |  /opt/gemstone/product/data
> |
> | Gemtools on my mac connecting to the remote gemstone...
> |
> | FileDirectory default
> |
> | returns nil
> |
> | Is this a product of the 'remote-ness'? A bug that is mac gemtools
> | specific?
> | I'm trying to test linux to remote but the connection gets blocked
> | and
> | I don't really know why ( something about bridging and the vm probably
> | ).

Re: FileDirectory default is nil

Dale
Possibly...I've been able to migrate about half of the internal bugs to glassdb.

James has a Mac and might be able to give a definitive answer about issues on a Mac and GemTools, since he would have been the one to submit a bug:)

Dale
----- "Sean Allen" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| Would the google code have listings for any gemtools bugs?
|
| On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Dale Henrichs
| <[hidden email]> wrote:
| > I'm not sure what you are trying to do, but ServerDirectory should
| behave correctly with involving the GemTools client.
| >
| > I'm at home today, but I don't recall whether there are any known
| bugs related to FileDirectory class>>default on the Mac, but given
| your description it sure appears that there is a MAC bug ...
| >
| > Dale
| > ----- "Sean Allen" <[hidden email]> wrote:
| >
| > | I was trying to track down the source of two failing tests that
| was
| > | only showing up on one of our production machines and found the
| > | following:
| > |
| > | All are with latest gemtools.
| > |
| > | Gemtools in linux w/ local gemstone...
| > |
| > | FileDirectory default
| > |
| > | returns gemtools directory path
| > |
| > | Topaz on said production machine
| > |
| > | FileDirectory default
| > |
| > | returns
| > |
| > |  /opt/gemstone/product/data
| > |
| > | Gemtools on my mac connecting to the remote gemstone...
| > |
| > | FileDirectory default
| > |
| > | returns nil
| > |
| > | Is this a product of the 'remote-ness'? A bug that is mac
| gemtools
| > | specific?
| > | I'm trying to test linux to remote but the connection gets
| blocked
| > | and
| > | I don't really know why ( something about bridging and the vm
| probably
| > | ).

Re: FileDirectory default is nil

SeanTAllen
Will be able to report back on whether this happens with Linux as well
sometime later tonight.

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 4:01 PM, Dale Henrichs
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Possibly...I've been able to migrate about half of the internal bugs to glassdb.
>
> James has a Mac and might be able to give a definitive answer about issues on a Mac and GemTools, since he would have been the one to submit a bug:)
>
> Dale
> ----- "Sean Allen" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> | Would the google code have listings for any gemtools bugs?
> |
> | On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Dale Henrichs
> | <[hidden email]> wrote:
> | > I'm not sure what you are trying to do, but ServerDirectory should
> | behave correctly with involving the GemTools client.
> | >
> | > I'm at home today, but I don't recall whether there are any known
> | bugs related to FileDirectory class>>default on the Mac, but given
> | your description it sure appears that there is a MAC bug ...
> | >
> | > Dale

> | was
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |
> | gemtools
> | blocked
> | probably

Re: FileDirectory default is nil

James Foster
>> ----- "Sean Allen" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Gemtools on my mac connecting to the remote gemstone...
>> || FileDirectory default returns nil|

Sean,

Looking at the code for FileDirectory class>>#'default' suggests the following question: What do you get when you evaluate the following?

        GsFile _expandEnvVariable: 'PWD' isClient: true.

Next, when you open a terminal on the Mac, what do you get for the following?

        echo $PWD

James

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 5:18 PM, James Foster <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> ----- "Sean Allen" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Gemtools on my mac connecting to the remote gemstone...
>>> || FileDirectory default returns nil|
>
> Sean,
>
> Looking at the code for FileDirectory class>>#'default' suggests the following question: What do you get when you evaluate the following?
>
>        GsFile _expandEnvVariable: 'PWD' isClient: true.

'/'

path to the directory I am in.

Re: FileDirectory default is nil

SeanTAllen
FYI, this doesnt happen on linux. Is def. a  mac bug.

On Feb 22, 2010, at 2:47 PM, Sean Allen wrote:

>> Sean,
>>
>> Looking at the code for FileDirectory class>>#'default' suggests the following question: What do you get when you evaluate the following?
>>
>>        GsFile _expandEnvVariable: 'PWD' isClient: true.
>
> '/'
>

>> Next, when you open a terminal on the Mac, what do you get for the following?
>>
>>        echo $PWD
>
> path to the directory I am in.

How about the following?

        System performOnServer: 'pwd'.

James

Re: FileDirectory default is nil

SeanTAllen
/opt/gemstone/log

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 6:25 PM, James Foster <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Sean,
>>>
>>> Looking at the code for FileDirectory class>>#'default' suggests the following question: What do you get when you evaluate the following?
>>>
>>>        GsFile _expandEnvVariable: 'PWD' isClient: true.
>>
>> '/'
>>

>>> Next, when you open a terminal on the Mac, what do you get for the following?
>>>
>>>        echo $PWD
>>
>> path to the directory I am in.
>
> How about the following?
>
>        System performOnServer: 'pwd'.
>
> James

Re: FileDirectory default is nil

James Foster
This all sounds familiar... Oh, there it is! Bug #39890: "FileDirectory class>>#'default' does not work for Mac/Windows clients" entered on 03/19/2009 by yours truly!

James

On Feb 22, 2010, at 3:29 PM, Sean Allen wrote:

> /opt/gemstone/log
>
> On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 6:25 PM, James Foster <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> '/'

>>> path to the directory I am in.
>>
>> How about the following?
>>
>>        System performOnServer: 'pwd'.
>>
>> James

Re: FileDirectory default is nil

SeanTAllen
Is that in a system I dont have access to?

On Feb 22, 2010, at 5:53 PM, Sean Allen wrote:

> Is that in a system I dont have access to?

Yes.