FileDoesNotExist vs. FileDoesNotExistException

FileDoesNotExist vs. FileDoesNotExistException

stepharo
Hi guys

in
https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/19026/Merge-FileDoesNotExist-and-FileDoesNotExistException
sven proposed to have

FileDoesNotExist and remove the FileDoesNotExistException

Before doing it I would like to have your point of view on the names.
For now I'm neutral and indeed if we apply it to exception

it seems to work for announcement. Now in Spec I was planning to put
nearly systematically Presenter at the end of Presenters :).

Re: FileDoesNotExist vs. FileDoesNotExistException

Ben Coman
My very first thoughts are...

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 3:35 AM, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> in
> https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/19026/Merge-FileDoesNotExist-and-FileDoesNotExistException
> sven proposed to have
>
> FileDoesNotExist and remove the FileDoesNotExistException

This seems quite reasonable.  It would be very hard to confuse the
semantics of FileDoesNotExist with something else.  Also this is
probably something end-user-devs will use more frequently in their
application, so less verbose is better.

The only thing that crosses my mind is perhaps discoverability... in
Spotter searching on "File" the drilling into classes and searching on
"Exception".    Oh I just tried in Pharo 5 and it worked, there are
four.   The other way to handle that might be for Spotter to have a
"KindOf" search.

btw, in the Spotter preview pane when a class is selected, could the
class comment be displayed?

> Before doing it I would like to have your point of view on the names. For
> now I'm neutral and indeed if we apply it to exception
>
> it seems to work for announcement. Now in Spec I was planning to put nearly
> systematically Presenter at the end of Presenters :).

Spec has more interrelated design pattern components.  Its seems there
has been some confusion around the nomenclature of these components.
So the additional hint is probably beneficial.

cheers -ben

Re: FileDoesNotExist vs. FileDoesNotExistException

Guillermo Polito
I'd argue also for consistency. When some exceptions are named
"Exception" and others are not, my eyes hurt.

> [...]

> "Exception".    Oh I just tried in Pharo 5 and it worked, there are
> four.   The other way to handle that might be for Spotter to have a
> "KindOf" search.
>
> btw, in the Spotter preview pane when a class is selected, could the
> class comment be displayed?
>
>> Before doing it I would like to have your point of view on the names. For
>> now I'm neutral and indeed if we apply it to exception
>>
>> it seems to work for announcement. Now in Spec I was planning to put nearly
>> systematically Presenter at the end of Presenters :).
> Spec has more interrelated design pattern components.  Its seems there
> has been some confusion around the nomenclature of these components.
> So the additional hint is probably beneficial.
>
> cheers -ben

Re: FileDoesNotExist vs. FileDoesNotExistException

EstebanLM

> On 08 Sep 2016, at 09:03, Guille Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'd argue also for consistency. When some exceptions are named "Exception" and others are not, my eyes hurt.

+1

Francisco Ortiz Peñaloza
I do prefer the shorter name. Generally I avoid using exception as a suffix consistently if doesn't add information.

Consistency is overrated :D