FileReference>>=

1 message Options

FileReference>>=

alistairgrant
Hi All,

The current definition of FileReference>>= returns false if two
instances point to the same location, but one is relative and the other
is absolute, e.g.:

| f1 f2 |

f1 := FileLocator workingDirectory / 'pharo-local'.
f2 := f1 asAbsolute.
f1 = f2
"false"

This definition seems unintuitive to me as I'd expect this to be true
since they are both pointing to the same file/directory.

This introduces unexpected behaviour, e.g. I currently have two entries
in Iceberg pointing to the same local git repository as one was added
with a relative file reference, while the other was added with an
absolute file reference.

Apart from the potential to introduce problems by changing the
definition, are there any arguments in favour of keeping the current
definition?

What do you think of changing the definition (in Pharo 7)?

P.S. If we decide not to change it, then
IceRepository>>checkForRegistryConflicts should be modified to compare
absolute paths.

Thanks,
Alistair