FileStream deprecation in Pharo7

Holger Freyther
tl;dr could we extend PackageManifest>>#isDeprecated to provide reasoning and pointers to potential replacements?

I was loading some of my code into a Pharo7 image and while debugging noticed that FileStream is deprecated (text stroke through in the Playground). But neither the FileStream class comment nor the the ManifestDeprecatedFileStream have an indication of what to use instead.

What do you think of making the deprecation notice carry more signal? E.g. provide reasoning of why it was removed ("simplification", "no replacement for XYZ", "Look at XYZ")?

Re: FileStream deprecation in Pharo7

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Holger,

> On 27 Apr 2018, at 15:01, Holger Freyther <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> tl;dr could we extend PackageManifest>>#isDeprecated to provide reasoning and pointers to potential replacements?
>
> I was loading some of my code into a Pharo7 image and while debugging noticed that FileStream is deprecated (text stroke through in the Playground). But neither the FileStream class comment nor the the ManifestDeprecatedFileStream have an indication of what to use instead.
>
> What do you think of making the deprecation notice carry more signal? E.g. provide reasoning of why it was removed ("simplification", "no replacement for XYZ", "Look at XYZ")?

The answer is simple: use FileSystem, it has been in the image for years.

The 'Deep into Pharo' book has a chapter about it.

Sven

(Apart from that, you are right: we can always write more documentation).

Re: FileStream deprecation in Pharo7

Holger Freyther

> On 27. Apr 2018, at 21:13, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Holger,

Sven!

> The answer is simple: use FileSystem, it has been in the image for years.
>
> The 'Deep into Pharo' book has a chapter about it.
>
> Sven
>
> (Apart from that, you are right: we can always write more documentation).

thank you for the answer and the pointer. I wondered how we could make the replacement discoverable in the image? It can be documentation but maybe we can make the Manifest more expressive?

holger

Re: FileStream deprecation in Pharo7

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
> The answer is simple: use FileSystem, it has been in the image for years.

IIUC the thrust of the question was how to get exactly that info most
effectively to a naive user who runs into the deprecation…

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: FileStream deprecation in Pharo7

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 27 Apr 2018, at 15:28, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Sven Van Caekenberghe-2 wrote
>> The answer is simple: use FileSystem, it has been in the image for years.
>
> IIUC the thrust of the question was how to get exactly that info most
> effectively to a naive user who runs into the deprecation…

Yes, I understand that that was part of the question, but I don't know what to say about that.