FileSystem fix integration

12

FileSystem fix integration

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi alistair

I will go over all the FS changes and push them in Pharo 70.
I'm learning the process to integrate fixes and I attract bugs :)

Re: FileSystem fix integration

alistairgrant
Hi Stef,

Great, thanks!

If you've got any questions or concerns, please let me know, I'm more
than happy to discuss them.

I've also got one more change that I haven't submitted yet.  I
originally developed a patch that modified FileReference>>/ to accept
paths.  However this directly conflicts with the change proposed in
https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/18042/FileSystem-a-file-doesn-t-exist-but-still-exists.
Opinion seems to be split on which way we should go, so I'll defer to
higher authority on this particular issue.  My patch also separated
path canonicalisation, as discussed in
http://forum.world.st/FileReference-gt-gt-and-path-canonicalisation-td4952575.html,
so I might separate that out and make it a separate patch.

Cheers,
Alistair

On 8 August 2017 at 10:27, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi alistair
>
> I will go over all the FS changes and push them in Pharo 70.
> I'm learning the process to integrate fixes and I attract bugs :)
>
> Stef

Re: FileSystem fix integration

Stephane Ducasse-3
For the moment I'm trying to understand the process and this is not that simple
because in flux.

stef

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 3:24 PM, Alistair Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Stef,
>
> Great, thanks!
>
> If you've got any questions or concerns, please let me know, I'm more
> than happy to discuss them.
>
> I've also got one more change that I haven't submitted yet.  I
> originally developed a patch that modified FileReference>>/ to accept
> paths.  However this directly conflicts with the change proposed in
> https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/18042/FileSystem-a-file-doesn-t-exist-but-still-exists.
> Opinion seems to be split on which way we should go, so I'll defer to
> higher authority on this particular issue.  My patch also separated
> path canonicalisation, as discussed in
> http://forum.world.st/FileReference-gt-gt-and-path-canonicalisation-td4952575.html,
> so I might separate that out and make it a separate patch.
>

> Cheers,
> Alistair
>
> On 8 August 2017 at 10:27, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi alistair
>>
>> I will go over all the FS changes and push them in Pharo 70.
>> I'm learning the process to integrate fixes and I attract bugs :)
>>
>> Stef

Re: FileSystem fix integration

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi Alistair

I'm going over the green build first.

- Can you tell me what you think about the PR 92 05723 Default Working Directory
    https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/5723/
- Then also https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/18042/FileSystem-a-file-doesn-t-exist-but-still-exists
I read it but do you suggest to drop it and close it?

TX

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 6:44 PM, Stephane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> For the moment I'm trying to understand the process and this is not that simple
> because in flux.
>
> stef
>
> On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 3:24 PM, Alistair Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Stef,
>>
>> Great, thanks!
>>
>> If you've got any questions or concerns, please let me know, I'm more
>> than happy to discuss them.
>>
>> I've also got one more change that I haven't submitted yet.  I
>> originally developed a patch that modified FileReference>>/ to accept
>> paths.  However this directly conflicts with the change proposed in
>> https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/18042/FileSystem-a-file-doesn-t-exist-but-still-exists.
>> Opinion seems to be split on which way we should go, so I'll defer to
>> higher authority on this particular issue.  My patch also separated
>> path canonicalisation, as discussed in
>> http://forum.world.st/FileReference-gt-gt-and-path-canonicalisation-td4952575.html,
>> so I might separate that out and make it a separate patch.
>>

>> Cheers,
>> Alistair
>>
>> On 8 August 2017 at 10:27, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi alistair
>>>
>>> I will go over all the FS changes and push them in Pharo 70.
>>> I'm learning the process to integrate fixes and I attract bugs :)
>>>
>>> Stef

Re: FileSystem fix integration

Guillermo Polito
Hi Stef,

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 7:00 PM, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Alistair

I'm going over the green build first.

- Can you tell me what you think about the PR 92 05723 Default Working Directory
    https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/5723/

This cannot be integrated yet. We have to review dependencies in the bootstrap, because it introduces a (correct) definition of a working directory but using FFI. And FFI is not in the kernel.

--

Guille Polito

Research Engineer

French National Center for Scientific Research - http://www.cnrs.fr

Web: http://guillep.github.io

Phone: +33 06 52 70 66 13

On Tue, Aug 08, 2017 at 07:29:02PM +0200, Guillermo Polito wrote:

> Hi Stef,
>
> On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 7:00 PM, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>     Hi Alistair
>
>     I'm going over the green build first.
>
>     - Can you tell me what you think about the PR 92 05723 Default Working
>     Directory
>         https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/5723/
>

> This cannot be integrated yet. We have to review dependencies in the bootstrap,
> because it introduces a (correct) definition of a working directory but using
> FFI. And FFI is not in the kernel.

I'm looking forward to this PR, as with most people, I think this will
make scripting with Pharo much easier (I've also used the workaround of
forking a shell to get the output of pwd :-().

Rajula went out of his way to discuss the implications of this on the
mailing list, see:
http://forum.world.st/The-new-implementation-of-current-working-directory-tt4952918.html

For full transparency, I haven't tested the code, but might try and load
it over the next week or so.

Obviously the issue Guillermo raises needs to be addressed before it can be
integrated.

Cheers,
Alistair

On Tue, Aug 08, 2017 at 07:00:04PM +0200, Stephane Ducasse wrote:
> Hi Alistair
>
> I'm going over the green build first.
>
> - Then also https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/18042/FileSystem-a-file-doesn-t-exist-but-still-exists
> I read it but do you suggest to drop it and close it?

I don't think this issue should be dropped, there is a regular stream of
questions to the mailing list from newcomers getting confused by the
current behaviour.

There are basically two opposing proposals:

1. Modify FileReference>>/ to accept a path and parse it correctly
   (which is what I proposed).
2. Modify FileReference>>/ to explicitly reject an argument which
   includes the path delimiter (and it should suggest using #resolve:).

The first proposal is more "practical", and the second is more "pure",
keeping the to original design goals and abstractions.

Both have had multiple people support them, and both are better than the
current situation, however it is subjective as to which of the two
proposals is better.

I'm not sure what the normal tie-breaking process is, but I'm happy to
defer to the Pharo Association (Esteban? / Marcus? / yourself?).

Cheers,
Alistair

Re: FileSystem fix integration

Denis Kudriashov
Hi

Hi Stef,

On Tue, Aug 08, 2017 at 07:00:04PM +0200, Stephane Ducasse wrote:
> Hi Alistair
>
> I'm going over the green build first.
>
> - Then also https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/18042/FileSystem-a-file-doesn-t-exist-but-still-exists
> I read it but do you suggest to drop it and close it?

I don't think this issue should be dropped, there is a regular stream of
questions to the mailing list from newcomers getting confused by the
current behaviour.

There are basically two opposing proposals:

1. Modify FileReference>>/ to accept a path and parse it correctly
   (which is what I proposed).
2. Modify FileReference>>/ to explicitly reject an argument which
   includes the path delimiter (and it should suggest using #resolve:).

The first proposal is more "practical", and the second is more "pure",
keeping the to original design goals and abstractions.

Both have had multiple people support them, and both are better than the
current situation, however it is subjective as to which of the two
proposals is better.

I would vote for first solution

I'm not sure what the normal tie-breaking process is, but I'm happy to
defer to the Pharo Association (Esteban? / Marcus? / yourself?).

Cheers,
Alistair

Re: FileSystem fix integration

Stephane Ducasse-3
Tx guille.
So I will update the bug entry.

--

Guille Polito

Research Engineer

French National Center for Scientific Research - http://www.cnrs.fr

Web: http://guillep.github.io

Phone: <a href="tel:+33%206%2052%2070%2066%2013" value="+33652706613" target="_blank">+33 06 52 70 66 13

Re: FileSystem fix integration

Stephane Ducasse-3
Tx!
So that I do not make mistake:
The fix is the second solution. Now do we have somewhere the first one?

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 10:08 AM, Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi

>> Hi Stef,
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 08, 2017 at 07:00:04PM +0200, Stephane Ducasse wrote:
>> > Hi Alistair
>> >
>> > I'm going over the green build first.
>> >
>> > - Then also
>> > https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/18042/FileSystem-a-file-doesn-t-exist-but-still-exists
>> > I read it but do you suggest to drop it and close it?
>>
>> I don't think this issue should be dropped, there is a regular stream of
>> questions to the mailing list from newcomers getting confused by the
>> current behaviour.
>>
>> There are basically two opposing proposals:
>>
>> 1. Modify FileReference>>/ to accept a path and parse it correctly
>>    (which is what I proposed).
>> 2. Modify FileReference>>/ to explicitly reject an argument which
>>    includes the path delimiter (and it should suggest using #resolve:).
>>
>> The first proposal is more "practical", and the second is more "pure",
>> keeping the to original design goals and abstractions.
>>
>> Both have had multiple people support them, and both are better than the
>> current situation, however it is subjective as to which of the two
>> proposals is better.
>

> I would vote for first solution
>

>> I'm not sure what the normal tie-breaking process is, but I'm happy to
>> defer to the Pharo Association (Esteban? / Marcus? / yourself?).
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alistair

Re: FileSystem fix integration

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi alistair

I went on fogbugz to find the fix to be included and I'm not sure not
that find them.
I looked for FileSystem.

I found
     - https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20165/Support-segment-path-printing

     - https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/18084/FileReference-EnsureCreateFile
           https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/133

     - https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/19609/FileReference-base-should-be-before-last-separator
           https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/137

Did I miss some others?

Stef

On Wed, Aug 09, 2017 at 08:23:50PM +0200, Stephane Ducasse wrote:
> Tx!
> So that I do not make mistake:
> The fix is the second solution. Now do we have somewhere the first one?

Not yet.  My patch also fixes some inconsistencies in path
canonicalisation.

I'll separate the code out in to two separate patches and post.

Cheers,
Alistair

On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 7:21 AM, Alistair Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Stef,
>
> On Wed, Aug 09, 2017 at 08:23:50PM +0200, Stephane Ducasse wrote:
>> Tx!
>> So that I do not make mistake:
>> The fix is the second solution. Now do we have somewhere the first one?
>
> Not yet.  My patch also fixes some inconsistencies in path
> canonicalisation.
>
> I'll separate the code out in to two separate patches and post.
>
> Cheers,
> Alistair
>

>> On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 10:08 AM, Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi

>> > I would vote for first solution

Re: FileSystem fix integration

alistairgrant
Hi Stef,

On Wed, Aug 09, 2017 at 08:23:50PM +0200, Stephane Ducasse wrote:
> Tx!
> So that I do not make mistake:
> The fix is the second solution. Now do we have somewhere the first one?

See below...

> On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 10:08 AM, Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi

> >> Hi Stef,

> >> I don't think this issue should be dropped, there is a regular stream of
> >> questions to the mailing list from newcomers getting confused by the
> >> current behaviour.
> >>
> >> There are basically two opposing proposals:
> >>
> >> 1. Modify FileReference>>/ to accept a path and parse it correctly
> >>    (which is what I proposed).

See:

- https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/13217/FS-basename-with-compound-path-string
- https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/192

> >> 2. Modify FileReference>>/ to explicitly reject an argument which
> >>    includes the path delimiter (and it should suggest using #resolve:).

See:

- https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/18042
- https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/75

Cheers,
Alistair

On Wed, Aug 09, 2017 at 10:12:17PM +0200, Stephane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi alistair
>
> I went on fogbugz to find the fix to be included and I'm not sure not
> that find them.
> I looked for FileSystem.
>
> I found
>      - https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20165/Support-segment-path-printing
>
>      - https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/18084/FileReference-EnsureCreateFile
>            https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/133
>
>      - https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/19609/FileReference-base-should-be-before-last-separator
>            https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/137
>
> Did I miss some others?
>
> Stef

- https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20294/Add-FileAttributesPlugin-to-the-linux-32-bit-VM
  This is the first step in fixing FileReference>>isSymlink and
  extending support for all file attributes returned by stat() and
  lstat().
  The parent issue is:
  https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/18279/isSymlink-seems-to-be-broken-on-Linux

Just for completeness, the two issues relating to FileReference>>/:

- https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/13217/FS-basename-with-compound-path-string
  - https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/192
- https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/18042
  - https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/75

Cheers,
Alistair

Re: FileSystem fix integration

alistairgrant
Hi Stef,

I've added the PR to fix automatic canonicalisation of path references
to the parent directory (".."):

- https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20307/File-names-should-not-be-canonicalised-by-default
  - https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/206

Other open issues (to help keep track):

- https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20165/Support-segment-path-printing
- https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/18084/FileReference-EnsureCreateFile
    https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/133
- https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/19609/FileReference-base-should-be-before-last-separator
    https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/137
- https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20294/Add-FileAttributesPlugin-to-the-linux-32-bit-VM
  This is the first step in fixing FileReference>>isSymlink and
  extending support for all file attributes returned by stat() and
  lstat().
  The parent issue is:
  https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/18279/isSymlink-seems-to-be-broken-on-Linux

Since #13217 has been accepted, #18042 and its associated PR should be
closed (won't fix):

- https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/18042
  - https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/75

Thanks!
Alistair

On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 08:23:49PM +0000, Alistair Grant wrote:

> Hi Stef,
>
> On Wed, Aug 09, 2017 at 10:12:17PM +0200, Stephane Ducasse wrote:
> > Hi alistair
> >
> > I went on fogbugz to find the fix to be included and I'm not sure not
> > that find them.
> > I looked for FileSystem.
> >
> > I found
> >      - https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20165/Support-segment-path-printing
> >
> >      - https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/18084/FileReference-EnsureCreateFile
> >            https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/133
> >
> >      - https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/19609/FileReference-base-should-be-before-last-separator
> >            https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/137
> >
> > Did I miss some others?
> >
> > Stef
>
> - https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20294/Add-FileAttributesPlugin-to-the-linux-32-bit-VM
>   This is the first step in fixing FileReference>>isSymlink and
>   extending support for all file attributes returned by stat() and
>   lstat().
>   The parent issue is:
>   https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/18279/isSymlink-seems-to-be-broken-on-Linux
>
> Just for completeness, the two issues relating to FileReference>>/:
>
> - https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/13217/FS-basename-with-compound-path-string
>   - https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/192
> - https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/18042
>   - https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/75
>

> Cheers,
> Alistair

Re: FileSystem fix integration

Stephane Ducasse-3
tx a lot for the summary, this is super useful :)
I will over them later (because I must work on my new lectures :).

Stef

On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 10:04:31AM +0200, Stephane Ducasse wrote:
> tx a lot for the summary, this is super useful :)
> I will over them later (because I must work on my new lectures :).
>
> Stef

I've just realised that:

- https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20165/Support-segment-path-printing

has merge conflicts, and that #20307 adds more merge conflicts.

The easiest thing to do is to defer this issue until after #20307 has
been merged.  I'll then update the patch to remove the merge conflicts
and resubmit.

Cheers,
Alistair

> On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 7:58 AM, Alistair Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi Stef,
> >
> > I've added the PR to fix automatic canonicalisation of path references
> > to the parent directory (".."):
> >
> > - https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20307/File-names-should-not-be-canonicalised-by-default
> >   - https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/206
> >
> > Other open issues (to help keep track):
> >
> > - https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20165/Support-segment-path-printing
> > - https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/18084/FileReference-EnsureCreateFile
> >     https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/133
> > - https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/19609/FileReference-base-should-be-before-last-separator
> >     https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/137
> > - https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20294/Add-FileAttributesPlugin-to-the-linux-32-bit-VM
> >   This is the first step in fixing FileReference>>isSymlink and
> >   extending support for all file attributes returned by stat() and
> >   lstat().
> >   The parent issue is:
> >   https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/18279/isSymlink-seems-to-be-broken-on-Linux
> >

> > Since #13217 has been accepted, #18042 and its associated PR should be
> > closed (won't fix):
> >
> > - https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/18042
> >   - https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/75
> >

> > Thanks!
> > Alistair
> >

> > On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 08:23:49PM +0000, Alistair Grant wrote:
> >> Hi Stef,

> >> - https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20294/Add-FileAttributesPlugin-to-the-linux-32-bit-VM
> >>   This is the first step in fixing FileReference>>isSymlink and
> >>   extending support for all file attributes returned by stat() and
> >>   lstat().
> >>   The parent issue is:
> >>   https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/18279/isSymlink-seems-to-be-broken-on-Linux
> >>
> >> Just for completeness, the two issues relating to FileReference>>/:
> >>
> >> - https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/13217/FS-basename-with-compound-path-string
> >>   - https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/192
> >> - https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/18042
> >>   - https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/75
> >>

> >> Cheers,
> >> Alistair

Re: FileSystem fix integration

Stephane Ducasse-3
Tx for the information. I will focus on 20307 then

On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 11:07 AM, Alistair Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Stef,
>
> On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 10:04:31AM +0200, Stephane Ducasse wrote:
>> tx a lot for the summary, this is super useful :)
>> I will over them later (because I must work on my new lectures :).
>>
>> Stef
>
> I've just realised that:
>
> - https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20165/Support-segment-path-printing
>
> has merge conflicts, and that #20307 adds more merge conflicts.
>
> The easiest thing to do is to defer this issue until after #20307 has
> been merged.  I'll then update the patch to remove the merge conflicts
> and resubmit.
>
> Cheers,
> Alistair
>

>> On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 7:58 AM, Alistair Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi Stef,
>> >
>> > I've added the PR to fix automatic canonicalisation of path references
>> > to the parent directory (".."):
>> >
>> > - https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20307/File-names-should-not-be-canonicalised-by-default
>> >   - https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/206
>> >
>> > Other open issues (to help keep track):
>> >
>> > - https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20165/Support-segment-path-printing
>> > - https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/18084/FileReference-EnsureCreateFile
>> >     https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/133
>> > - https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/19609/FileReference-base-should-be-before-last-separator
>> >     https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/137
>> > - https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/20294/Add-FileAttributesPlugin-to-the-linux-32-bit-VM
>> >   This is the first step in fixing FileReference>>isSymlink and
>> >   extending support for all file attributes returned by stat() and
>> >   lstat().
>> >   The parent issue is:
>> >   https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/18279/isSymlink-seems-to-be-broken-on-Linux
>> >

>> > Since #13217 has been accepted, #18042 and its associated PR should be
>> > closed (won't fix):
>> >
>> > - https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/18042
>> >   - https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/75
>> >

>> > Thanks!
>> > Alistair

Re: FileSystem fix integration

Stephane Ducasse-3
I'm integrating 20307 and I would like to really thank you for
- the bug entry description
- all the comments
- and tests in the PR.

Tx!!!