FileTree queries

xx397
Hi,

I've just migrated to using FileTree with SVN and am wondering if it is
possible to use it without the monticello.meta? You obviously get a lot
of merge conflicts with these and the version file in particular, and I
didn't really see much benefit when using SVN for commit comments and
revision histories and so forth so have just been ignoring / deleting
them. It seems to work ok for the most part and by loading packages with
Gofer, but I feel like I'm fighting the system a bit and have not had
much luck with Metacello in particular which I would like to get working
again. Can anyone advise?

Thanks
Chris

Re: FileTree queries

Paul DeBruicker
On 11/15/2012 09:16 AM, Chris wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just migrated to using FileTree with SVN and am wondering if it is
> possible to use it without the monticello.meta? You obviously get a lot
> of merge conflicts with these and the version file in particular, and I
> didn't really see much benefit when using SVN for commit comments and
> revision histories and so forth so have just been ignoring / deleting
> them. It seems to work ok for the most part and by loading packages with
> Gofer, but I feel like I'm fighting the system a bit and have not had
> much luck with Metacello in particular which I would like to get working
> again. Can anyone advise?
>
> Thanks
> Chris

Why not just make SVN ignore those files?

https://sdesmedt.wordpress.com/2006/12/10/how-to-make-subversion-ignore-files-and-folders/

Re: FileTree queries

xx397
My Metacello configuration doesn't want to load from FileTree if the monticello.meta directories are missing. This makes some sense to me as it won't be able to resolve any actual version numbers or releases. However all it can possibly do is just grab the packages from disk anyway. I saw something along the lines of Metacello new configuration: xxx; load somewhere whereas I still have my normal ConfigurationOfXXX loadBleedingEdge. But I don't have a Metacello class in my 1.4 Summer image. Do I need to get hold of this?

> > I've just migrated to using FileTree with SVN and am
> wondering if it is
> > possible to use it without the monticello.meta? You
> obviously get a lot
> > of merge conflicts with these and the version file in
> particular, and I
> > didn't really see much benefit when using SVN for
> commit comments and
> > revision histories and so forth so have just been
> ignoring / deleting
> > them. It seems to work ok for the most part and by
> > Gofer, but I feel like I'm fighting the system a bit
> and have not had
> > much luck with Metacello in particular which I would
> like to get working
> > again. Can anyone advise?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Chris
> >

> Why not just make SVN ignore those files?
>
> https://sdesmedt.wordpress.com/2006/12/10/how-to-make-subversion-ignore-files-and-folders/

Re: FileTree queries

Paul DeBruicker
I think the Metacello class is from the unreleased beta version.  You can get it from here

Http://www.github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work

I'm not sure if it'll solve your problem or not.

On Nov 16, 2012, at 2:27 AM, CHRIS BAILEY <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My Metacello configuration doesn't want to load from FileTree if the monticello.meta directories are missing. This makes some sense to me as it won't be able to resolve any actual version numbers or releases. However all it can possibly do is just grab the packages from disk anyway. I saw something along the lines of Metacello new configuration: xxx; load somewhere whereas I still have my normal ConfigurationOfXXX loadBleedingEdge. But I don't have a Metacello class in my 1.4 Summer image. Do I need to get hold of this?

Dale Henrichs
Chris,

You have to have the meta data for things to work ...

Speaking of Metacello... since you are using SVN for managing our package source, it isn't really necessary to manage the classical ConfigurationOf (saving the mcz file versions for each commit to your SVN repo is redundant), so in the Metacello Preview I have introduced the notion of a BaselineOf where you only need to maintain the baseline information (no versions). The BaselineOf can be used interchangeably with the ConfigurationOf and is much less overhead to maintain ...

The Preview[1] is not in general release, but I use it on a daily basis for my work (I store my code on github) and would welcome feedback on your experience using the Preview ...

Dale

[1] https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work
| My Metacello configuration doesn't want to load from FileTree if the
| monticello.meta directories are missing. This makes some sense to me
| as it won't be able to resolve any actual version numbers or
| releases. However all it can possibly do is just grab the packages
| from disk anyway. I saw something along the lines of Metacello new
| configuration: xxx; load somewhere whereas I still have my normal
| ConfigurationOfXXX loadBleedingEdge. But I don't have a Metacello
| class in my 1.4 Summer image. Do I need to get hold of this?

Thanks Dale, I'll give the Baseline stuff a go. I've only been trying to
use my old Configuration for it's dependency information and purely in a
loadBleedingEdge capacity, as it's version capabilities are obviously
redundant in this context. I'll try it with the meta back in there, but
was having some issues with the version file and conflicts on each commit.

Oh and just as an aside, it's worth pointing out that FileTree is only
compatible with SVN 1.7 (all the meta contained at the top level) as I
found when I tried it on a system with 1.6 installed :-)

> Chris,
>
> You have to have the meta data for things to work ...
>
> Speaking of Metacello... since you are using SVN for managing our package source, it isn't really necessary to manage the classical ConfigurationOf (saving the mcz file versions for each commit to your SVN repo is redundant), so in the Metacello Preview I have introduced the notion of a BaselineOf where you only need to maintain the baseline information (no versions). The BaselineOf can be used interchangeably with the ConfigurationOf and is much less overhead to maintain ...
>
> The Preview[1] is not in general release, but I use it on a daily basis for my work (I store my code on github) and would welcome feedback on your experience using the Preview ...
>
> Dale
>
> [1] https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work

Yes, the Baseline just formalizes the bleedingEdge...

The meta data is just needed for now  ... it does interfere when you are doing git/svn level merges, so I need to eventually get rid of it...

Not sure I understand the issue with SVN 1.6....is there a more specific problem?

Please look over the documentation for the Preview release and let me know where there are shortcomings and definitely let me know about odd behavior ... I'm not 100% comfortable with some of the behavior of the API so I'll be interested in your take...

Dale

| Thanks Dale, I'll give the Baseline stuff a go. I've only been trying
| use my old Configuration for it's dependency information and purely
| in a
| loadBleedingEdge capacity, as it's version capabilities are obviously
| redundant in this context. I'll try it with the meta back in there,
| but
| was having some issues with the version file and conflicts on each
| commit.
|
| Oh and just as an aside, it's worth pointing out that FileTree is
| only
| compatible with SVN 1.7 (all the meta contained at the top level) as
| found when I tried it on a system with 1.6 installed :-)
|
| > Chris,
| >
| > You have to have the meta data for things to work ...
| >
| > Speaking of Metacello... since you are using SVN for managing our
| > package source, it isn't really necessary to manage the classical
| > ConfigurationOf (saving the mcz file versions for each commit to
| > your SVN repo is redundant), so in the Metacello Preview I have
| > introduced the notion of a BaselineOf where you only need to
| > maintain the baseline information (no versions). The BaselineOf
| > can be used interchangeably with the ConfigurationOf and is much
| > less overhead to maintain ...
| >
| > The Preview[1] is not in general release, but I use it on a daily
| > basis for my work (I store my code on github) and would welcome
| > feedback on your experience using the Preview ...
| >
| > Dale
| >
| > [1] https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work
| > |
| > | My Metacello configuration doesn't want to load from FileTree if
| > | the
| > | monticello.meta directories are missing. This makes some sense to
| > | me
| > | as it won't be able to resolve any actual version numbers or
| > | releases. However all it can possibly do is just grab the
| > | packages
| > | from disk anyway. I saw something along the lines of Metacello
| > | new
| > | configuration: xxx; load somewhere whereas I still have my normal
| > | ConfigurationOfXXX loadBleedingEdge. But I don't have a Metacello
| > | class in my 1.4 Summer image. Do I need to get hold of this?
| > |

I think it is just because SVN 1.7 and git hold all of their meta
information in the root directory whereas 1.6 holds it at every level of
the directory tree. FileTree seems to simply replace a package directory
whenever you commit so takes some of SVN's internals with it. I actually
'hacked' it by just saying don't delete any directories called .svn
which seemed to work but have since just gone back to your version and
made sure to use 1.7.

I will let you know how I get on with the preview. Although I am
managing to run things without the meta currently and just using Gofer
to load. I had one dependency issue which I tried to resolve by going
back to the Configuration but have got around it another way now.

> Chris,
>
> Yes, the Baseline just formalizes the bleedingEdge...
>
> The meta data is just needed for now  ... it does interfere when you are doing git/svn level merges, so I need to eventually get rid of it...
>
> Not sure I understand the issue with SVN 1.6....is there a more specific problem?
>
> Please look over the documentation for the Preview release and let me know where there are shortcomings and definitely let me know about odd behavior ... I'm not 100% comfortable with some of the behavior of the API so I'll be interested in your take...
>
> Dale

Re: FileTree queries

Dale Henrichs
Chris,

Ah ... you were talking about the svn meta data:)

So yes, FileTree was nuking the whole directory structure (including svn meta data) ... yuk, that is a bug[1]:)

If you could submit a pull request with your patch for this, that'd be great!

Dale

[1] https://github.com/dalehenrich/filetree/issues/63

| I think it is just because SVN 1.7 and git hold all of their meta
| information in the root directory whereas 1.6 holds it at every level
| of
| the directory tree. FileTree seems to simply replace a package
| directory
| whenever you commit so takes some of SVN's internals with it. I
| actually
| 'hacked' it by just saying don't delete any directories called .svn
| which seemed to work but have since just gone back to your version
| and
| made sure to use 1.7.
|
| I will let you know how I get on with the preview. Although I am
| managing to run things without the meta currently and just using
| Gofer
| to load. I had one dependency issue which I tried to resolve by going
| back to the Configuration but have got around it another way now.
|
| > Chris,
| >
| > Yes, the Baseline just formalizes the bleedingEdge...
| >
| > The meta data is just needed for now  ... it does interfere when
| > you are doing git/svn level merges, so I need to eventually get
| > rid of it...
| >
| > Not sure I understand the issue with SVN 1.6....is there a more
| > specific problem?
| >
| > Please look over the documentation for the Preview release and let
| > me know where there are shortcomings and definitely let me know
| > about odd behavior ... I'm not 100% comfortable with some of the
| > behavior of the API so I'll be interested in your take...
| >
| > Dale

| > |
| > | Oh and just as an aside, it's worth pointing out that FileTree is
| > | only
| > | compatible with SVN 1.7 (all the meta contained at the top level)
| > | as
| > | found when I tried it on a system with 1.6 installed :-)
| > |

| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |
| > |

Re: FileTree queries

xx397
I think all I did was to move the contents of recursiveDelete into
MCFileTreeFileDirectoryUtils class>>deleteAll: and guard clause on
directory names from an ignore list. This isn't really very satisfactory
because 2.0 uses FileSystem and other Smalltalk dialects would
presumably require the same treatment as well.