Files-Core and Zinc-Character-Encoding-Core package load sequence

Files-Core and Zinc-Character-Encoding-Core package load sequence

alistairgrant
Hi Guille, Sven, Esteban and Everyone,

Can someone (dis)confirm that the Zinc-Character-Encoding-Core package is
considered part of the pharo "core" image?

The reason I ask is that I'd like to know whether the File class (which
is part of the Files-Core package) can count on ZnUTF8Encoder (which is
part of the Zinc-Character-Encoding-Core package) being present in the
image.

If File can count on ZnUTF8Encoder being present then for FileAttributes
I will make UTF8 encoding / decoding available from File, and thus UTF8
file names will be supported.  If it can't count on ZnUTF8Encoder being
present then File will only be able to handle ascii file names (unless
the names are somehow already UTF8 encoded) and support for UTF8 file
names will effectively be restricted to FileSystem.

Thanks,
Alistair

Re: Files-Core and Zinc-Character-Encoding-Core package load sequence

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 24 Sep 2018, at 21:55, Alistair Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Guille, Sven, Esteban and Everyone,
>
> Can someone (dis)confirm that the Zinc-Character-Encoding-Core package is
> considered part of the pharo "core" image?

Yes, for me anyway, it is (or should be) part of core.

> The reason I ask is that I'd like to know whether the File class (which
> is part of the Files-Core package) can count on ZnUTF8Encoder (which is
> part of the Zinc-Character-Encoding-Core package) being present in the
> image.
>
> If File can count on ZnUTF8Encoder being present then for FileAttributes
> I will make UTF8 encoding / decoding available from File, and thus UTF8
> file names will be supported.  If it can't count on ZnUTF8Encoder being
> present then File will only be able to handle ascii file names (unless
> the names are somehow already UTF8 encoded) and support for UTF8 file
> names will effectively be restricted to FileSystem.
>

> Thanks,
> Alistair

Re: Files-Core and Zinc-Character-Encoding-Core package load sequence

Guillermo Polito

On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 11:23 PM Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 24 Sep 2018, at 21:55, Alistair Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Guille, Sven, Esteban and Everyone,
>
> Can someone (dis)confirm that the Zinc-Character-Encoding-Core package is
> considered part of the pharo "core" image?

Yes, for me anyway, it is (or should be) part of core.

Yes, they are part of the Core image. Simply because an image without any I/O is an image you cannot interact with, so it's kind of useless :)
And an image doing I/O without managing encoding is pretty useless too...

Also, keep in mind that we try to maintain Zn packages in sync with Sven's repository, and we try to keep them loadable/compatible with other pharo versions.
Usually Zn encoders should be stable enough in terms of API and features, but in case you need to extend them in some way we should keep Sven in the loop so we can sync both repositories ^^.

Guille

Re: Files-Core and Zinc-Character-Encoding-Core package load sequence

alistairgrant
Hi Sven & Guille,

On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 at 10:49, Guillermo Polito
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 11:23 PM Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> > On 24 Sep 2018, at 21:55, Alistair Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi Guille, Sven, Esteban and Everyone,
>> >
>> > Can someone (dis)confirm that the Zinc-Character-Encoding-Core package is
>> > considered part of the pharo "core" image?
>>
>> Yes, for me anyway, it is (or should be) part of core.
>

> Yes, they are part of the Core image. Simply because an image without any I/O is an image you cannot interact with, so it's kind of useless :)
> And an image doing I/O without managing encoding is pretty useless too...

Thanks for the confirmation.  I suspected this was the case, but
didn't want to be wrong later on.

> Also, keep in mind that we try to maintain Zn packages in sync with Sven's repository, and we try to keep them loadable/compatible with other pharo versions.
> Usually Zn encoders should be stable enough in terms of API and features, but in case you need to extend them in some way we should keep Sven in the loop so we can sync both repositories ^^.

Sure, at the moment I can't envisage any required changes.

Thanks again,
Alistair