Filesystem and FS extensions in Pharo book

Filesystem and FS extensions in Pharo book

Max Leske
Hey

I miss Filesystem and its extensions (cURL, zip, git etc.) in the Pharo book. I'd write the entries but I want your oppinion on whether we should wait till the Filesystem rewrite in 1.2 is ready.

My suggestion:

---- Pharo Tools
---- ---- Filesystem
---- ---- ---- Filesystem for Pharo 1.1
---- ---- ---- ---- extensions 1 ...n
---- ---- ---- Filesystem for Pharo 1.2
---- ---- ---- ---- extensions 1 ...n

Should we even list the "old" versions? The downside to that is that we would have to wait for all the extensions to be updated.
What do you think?

Max

Re: Filesystem and FS extensions in Pharo book

Stéphane Ducasse
right now we are stuck because we started documenting and understanding FS and coling publihsed a new one and he should merge our changes

Stef

On Mar 22, 2011, at 1:20 PM, Max Leske wrote:

> Hey
>
> I miss Filesystem and its extensions (cURL, zip, git etc.) in the Pharo book. I'd write the entries but I want your oppinion on whether we should wait till the Filesystem rewrite in 1.2 is ready.
>
> My suggestion:
>
> ---- Pharo Tools
> ---- ---- Filesystem
> ---- ---- ---- Filesystem for Pharo 1.1
> ---- ---- ---- ---- extensions 1 ...n
> ---- ---- ---- Filesystem for Pharo 1.2
> ---- ---- ---- ---- extensions 1 ...n
>
> Should we even list the "old" versions? The downside to that is that we would have to wait for all the extensions to be updated.
> What do you think?
>
> Max

Re: Filesystem and FS extensions in Pharo book

Max Leske
Yes, I understand that. My question is if I should create entries for the "old" version since that one is working and has working extensions.

Max

On 22.03.2011, at 13:37, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> right now we are stuck because we started documenting and understanding FS and coling publihsed a new one and he should merge our changes
>
> Stef
>
> On Mar 22, 2011, at 1:20 PM, Max Leske wrote:
>
>> Hey
>>
>> I miss Filesystem and its extensions (cURL, zip, git etc.) in the Pharo book. I'd write the entries but I want your oppinion on whether we should wait till the Filesystem rewrite in 1.2 is ready.
>>
>> My suggestion:
>>
>> ---- Pharo Tools
>> ---- ---- Filesystem
>> ---- ---- ---- Filesystem for Pharo 1.1
>> ---- ---- ---- ---- extensions 1 ...n
>> ---- ---- ---- Filesystem for Pharo 1.2
>> ---- ---- ---- ---- extensions 1 ...n
>>
>> Should we even list the "old" versions? The downside to that is that we would have to wait for all the extensions to be updated.
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Max

Re: Filesystem and FS extensions in Pharo book

Mariano Martinez Peck
Max, don't worry too much about that. The idea is just to have a list of the available tools and a little description of what they are. Think of this for business or newcomers. If they go ahead with Pharo, then they will probably ask in the mailing list if they have a problem running/installing a tool. So, what you said, is good for me.

Cheers

mariano

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 1:49 PM, Max Leske <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, I understand that. My question is if I should create entries for the "old" version since that one is working and has working extensions.

Max

On 22.03.2011, at 13:37, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> right now we are stuck because we started documenting and understanding FS and coling publihsed a new one and he should merge our changes
>
> Stef
>
> On Mar 22, 2011, at 1:20 PM, Max Leske wrote:
>
>> Hey
>>
>> I miss Filesystem and its extensions (cURL, zip, git etc.) in the Pharo book. I'd write the entries but I want your oppinion on whether we should wait till the Filesystem rewrite in 1.2 is ready.
>>
>> My suggestion:
>>
>> ---- Pharo Tools
>> ---- ---- Filesystem
>> ---- ---- ---- Filesystem for Pharo 1.1
>> ---- ---- ---- ---- extensions 1 ...n
>> ---- ---- ---- Filesystem for Pharo 1.2
>> ---- ---- ---- ---- extensions 1 ...n
>>
>> Should we even list the "old" versions? The downside to that is that we would have to wait for all the extensions to be updated.
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Max

Re: Filesystem and FS extensions in Pharo book

Max if you want to help what you can do is to have a look at the Filesystem chapter in the pharo by example vol 2 on github.
We will update it and probably should do several passes on the chapter anyway.
Stef

> Yes, I understand that. My question is if I should create entries for the "old" version since that one is working and has working extensions.
>
> Max
>

> On 22.03.2011, at 13:37, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> right now we are stuck because we started documenting and understanding FS and coling publihsed a new one and he should merge our changes
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Mar 22, 2011, at 1:20 PM, Max Leske wrote:
>>
>>> Hey
>>>
>>> I miss Filesystem and its extensions (cURL, zip, git etc.) in the Pharo book. I'd write the entries but I want your oppinion on whether we should wait till the Filesystem rewrite in 1.2 is ready.
>>>
>>> My suggestion:
>>>
>>> ---- Pharo Tools
>>> ---- ---- Filesystem
>>> ---- ---- ---- Filesystem for Pharo 1.1
>>> ---- ---- ---- ---- extensions 1 ...n
>>> ---- ---- ---- Filesystem for Pharo 1.2
>>> ---- ---- ---- ---- extensions 1 ...n
>>>
>>> Should we even list the "old" versions? The downside to that is that we would have to wait for all the extensions to be updated.
>>> What do you think?
>>>
>>> Max

Re: Filesystem and FS extensions in Pharo book

Max Leske
Ok, will do.

Max

On 22.03.2011, at 18:54, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Max if you want to help what you can do is to have a look at the Filesystem chapter in the pharo by example vol 2 on github.
> We will update it and probably should do several passes on the chapter anyway.
> Stef
>

>> Yes, I understand that. My question is if I should create entries for the "old" version since that one is working and has working extensions.
>>
>> Max
>>

>> On 22.03.2011, at 13:37, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> right now we are stuck because we started documenting and understanding FS and coling publihsed a new one and he should merge our changes
>>>
>>> Stef

Re: Filesystem and FS extensions in Pharo book

Stéphane Ducasse
what we should do is also to merge our changes in the latest version of colin ;(
but we should move on that front too.

Stef