Filing in chunks

Esteban A. Maringolo
What is the "official" way to file in chunks in Pharo?

I'm porting something from Dolphin to Pharo 2, with no purpose of having compatibility between both (it is, I want to continue with it on Pharo).

I've been manually "translating" the chunk from Dolphin into Pharo format, but the problem is... I can't find a way to File In the file contents!

Using the File Explorer, there is a contextual menu in the contents pane of the selected file "FileIn Selection (G)", but as soon as I select some chunks or the whole contents to file In I get a MessageNotUnderstood of #fileIn in ReadWriteStream (the selected contents).

I couldn't find another menu for filing in in a Workspace (expected), SystemBrowser (Nautilus) nor anywhere else. I'm doing it with 'myChanges.st' asFileReference fileIn

But I was expecting more user friendly, like a chunk browser.

Any clues?

Thanks!

Re: Filing in chunks

Stéphane Ducasse

On Aug 28, 2013, at 3:14 AM, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What is the "official" way to file in chunks in Pharo?
>
> I'm porting something from Dolphin to Pharo 2, with no purpose of having
> compatibility between both (it is, I want to continue with it on Pharo).
>
> I've been manually "translating" the chunk from Dolphin into Pharo format,
> but the problem is... I can't find a way to File In the file contents!

you can simply drop the file on the world.

> Using the File Explorer, there is a contextual menu in the contents pane of
> the selected file "FileIn Selection (G)", but as soon as I select some
> chunks or the whole contents to file In I get a MessageNotUnderstood of
> #fileIn in ReadWriteStream (the selected contents).

this is a bug can you open an issue if it is still there in Pharo30

> I couldn't find another menu for filing in in a Workspace (expected),
> SystemBrowser (Nautilus) nor anywhere else. I'm doing it with 'myChanges.st'
> asFileReference fileIn
>
> But I was expecting more user friendly, like a chunk browser.

No there is no such tools. We are working on a new change browser and may be we will support importing
cs but I doubt for now.

> Any clues?
>
> Thanks!

Re: Filing in chunks

Esteban A. Maringolo
2013/8/28 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> On Aug 28, 2013, at 3:14 AM, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> What is the "official" way to file in chunks in Pharo?
>>
>> I'm porting something from Dolphin to Pharo 2, with no purpose of having
>> compatibility between both (it is, I want to continue with it on Pharo).
>>
>> I've been manually "translating" the chunk from Dolphin into Pharo format,
>> but the problem is... I can't find a way to File In the file contents!
>
> you can simply drop the file on the world.

Simpler than expected. :)

>> Using the File Explorer, there is a contextual menu in the contents pane of
>> the selected file "FileIn Selection (G)", but as soon as I select some
>> chunks or the whole contents to file In I get a MessageNotUnderstood of
>> #fileIn in ReadWriteStream (the selected contents).
>
> this is a bug can you open an issue if it is still there in Pharo30

I don't have a Pharo30 image here, but will download one later to check.

>> I couldn't find another menu for filing in in a Workspace (expected),
>> SystemBrowser (Nautilus) nor anywhere else. I'm doing it with 'myChanges.st'
>> asFileReference fileIn
>>
>> But I was expecting more user friendly, like a chunk browser.
>
> No there is no such tools. We are working on a new change browser and may be we will support importing
> cs but I doubt for now.

That's fine, filing it into a new changeset and being able to go
change by change in the dual change sorter will do it.

I almost filed 200 kb of code (~70 classes) using the expression above.
Now it's time to polish what's in.

Thanks again.