Filing out packages

Günther Schmidt
Hi,

can I fileOut a package in a way that it can be filed into, let's say, squeak?.

Günther

Re: Filing out packages

Peter Kenny-2
"Guenther Schmidt" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:d7abru$8hp$01$[hidden email]...
> Hi,
>
> can I fileOut a package in a way that it can be filed into, let's say,
squeak?.

> Günther

Günther

If you follow the exchanges with Fernando Rodriguez on "Dolphin port of
Squeak's Url classes", which deal with moving from Squeak to Dolphin, the
reverse move should be pretty similar. If you file out the Dolphin code,
transform it so that the := assignments become the Squeak left arrow, remove
the lf from every cr-lf line terminator, it should be possible to file it
into Squeak. There will be syntax differences between the dialects, which
you will have to fix. The #ifNotNil: message will not be entirely
straightforward if the code inside the block refers to the argument
variable. There is no way of doing it automatically, as far as I know.

Best wishes

Peter Kenny

Re: Filing out packages

Günther Schmidt
Peter,

thanks, but the problem is more that I do not know how to file out a Dolphin package.

Single classes ok, but not whole packages.

Günther

> If you follow the exchanges with Fernando Rodriguez on "Dolphin port of
> Squeak's Url classes", which deal with moving from Squeak to Dolphin, the
> reverse move should be pretty similar. If you file out the Dolphin code,
> transform it so that the := assignments become the Squeak left arrow, remove
> the lf from every cr-lf line terminator, it should be possible to file it
> into Squeak. There will be syntax differences between the dialects, which
> you will have to fix. The #ifNotNil: message will not be entirely
> straightforward if the code inside the block refers to the argument
> variable. There is no way of doing it automatically, as far as I know.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Peter Kenny

Re: Filing out packages

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Guenther,

> thanks, but the problem is more that I do not know how to file out a
> Dolphin package.
>
> Single classes ok, but not whole packages.

You might find that the .pac file itself (the saved package) will do
what you want.  Otherwise, there are programmatic ways to file out
exactly what you want.  Take a look at Migrate>>basicFileOutMethods:on:
for a starting point.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: Filing out packages

Günther Schmidt
Bill,

thanks for the tip, however I *was* going to complain, that there is no such class Migrate, until I realized that I'll probably find it in one of your goodies.

I just remembered that from that the last time. ;-)

Thanks!

Günther

Re: Filing out packages

Fernando Rodriguez
On Sat, 28 May 2005 19:41:18 +0100, "Peter Kenny"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>If you follow the exchanges with Fernando Rodriguez on "Dolphin port of
>Squeak's Url classes", which deal with moving from Squeak to Dolphin, the
>reverse move should be pretty similar. If you file out the Dolphin code,
>transform it so that the := assignments become the Squeak left arrow, remove

Actually Squeak understands := as well.

Re: Filing out packages

Schwab,Wilhelm K
>>If you follow the exchanges with Fernando Rodriguez on "Dolphin port of
>>Squeak's Url classes", which deal with moving from Squeak to Dolphin, the
>>reverse move should be pretty similar. If you file out the Dolphin code,
>>transform it so that the := assignments become the Squeak left arrow, remove
>

> Actually Squeak understands := as well.

Correct.  There is a problem, but it is in taking some Squeak code (with
underscore assingment) to Dolphin.  It's a shame that they let that
shortcut get beyond the editor and into the compiler and sources :(
I've been too busy to follow it of late, but the unicode changes might
put an end to the hassles.

Have a good one,

Bill

--