Filtering PluggableTreeMorphs (i.e., ObjectExporer)

cbc

Filtering PluggableTreeMorphs (i.e., ObjectExporer)

cbc
After looking at Chris' earlier email about filtering the list in Explorers, I decided to play with it.  For some reason it had never occurred to me that you could even do that.  Neat.

However, the behavior is odd, and I'd like confirmation that what I am seeing is what is intended (and/or if I'm the only one seeing it - i.e., if I botched something up).

When the focus is on the list, if you type characters fast enough, the characters typed all act as a filter on the list.  This is as expected.

If you pause a certain amount of time (not long, for me), and then type another character, it no longer takes this as a filter to the list, but rather moves the selection down the list.  This seems to happen no matter what the characters is.  Except backspace, which clears the filter.

Is this expected and/or does it happen in your image?

Thanks,
-cbc

Re: Filtering PluggableTreeMorphs (i.e., ObjectExporer)

Chris Muller-3
There are at least two use cases:  filtering and navigation.

The selection responds to what you type, not when you type it.

Marcel left it with at least a couple of use-cases fulfilled.  A couple of
preferences tweak different ways of thinking about it.  Search for
"filter" in preferences and note the two "Filterable Trees" preferences.

cbc

Re: Filtering PluggableTreeMorphs (i.e., ObjectExporer)

cbc
Ok.  I looked at the options - one says to filter (or not); the other says how deep to filter.

I'd prefer to use the up/down (and/or another set of keys) for navigation - not just any key - and let filter continue on after a pause.  But that's just me.

What is less helpful (just found out), is that after you filter a list, then clear it (backspace), you can't filter it again.  The tree morph allows for exactly 1 try at filtering it's list.  There should be some way to reset it, I would think.

-cbc