Final rush for submitting GSOC proposal - Need your help

Final rush for submitting GSOC proposal - Need your help

SergeStinckwich
Hi all,

we are currently working with Alexandre to submit the gsoc proposal to Google.
I was a little bit busy with my lectures and I didn't check the
current proposals available here:

http://gsoc.pharo.org/

but all the projects are coming from RMOD team, but having all the
projects proposal coming from the same place might be perceived
negatively from Google. Can we add more projects from previous gsoc
form other people also ?

We have only one hour to polish the list.
Thank you for your help.

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Final rush for submitting GSOC proposal - Need your help

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 09/02/17 17:05, Serge Stinckwich wrote:
> but all the projects are coming from RMOD team, but having all the
> projects proposal coming from the same place might be perceived
> negatively from Google. Can we add more projects from previous gsoc
> from other people also ?

My two earlier proposals are fine, and already on the site.

Stephan

Re: Final rush for submitting GSOC proposal - Need your help

SergeStinckwich
Yes, thank you Stephan. I just add them ;-)

I think we can change the list of projects until tomorrow.

Regards,

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Final rush for submitting GSOC proposal - Need your help

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2

As I said, I would like to work on Grafoscopio for the GSOC, but I lack
a supervisor. I even can work on the proposal but I would need a
supervisor to help me with the GTTools-Spec related issues and improving
test coverage and code quality where needed. Is possible to create a
project in this "reverse" way (from a candidate looking for a
supervisor)? If yes, any supervisor would be interested? Any other
suggested route to get Grafoscopio in the Summer of code?

Thanks,

Offray

On 09/02/17 11:05, Serge Stinckwich wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> we are currently working with Alexandre to submit the gsoc proposal to Google.
> I was a little bit busy with my lectures and I didn't check the
> current proposals available here:
>
> http://gsoc.pharo.org/
>
> but all the projects are coming from RMOD team, but having all the
> projects proposal coming from the same place might be perceived
> negatively from Google. Can we add more projects from previous gsoc
> form other people also ?
>
> We have only one hour to polish the list.
> Thank you for your help.

Re: Final rush for submitting GSOC proposal - Need your help

SergeStinckwich
You mean, you would be the student ? ;-)
I can be the mentor. This is nice if we have one subject with already one student.

We would like to add a subject with Nick about Jupyter support for Pharo.

Envoyé de mon iPhone

> Le 9 févr. 2017 à 18:18, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Hi,
>
> As I said, I would like to work on Grafoscopio for the GSOC, but I lack a supervisor. I even can work on the proposal but I would need a supervisor to help me with the GTTools-Spec related issues and improving test coverage and code quality where needed. Is possible to create a project in this "reverse" way (from a candidate looking for a supervisor)? If yes, any supervisor would be interested? Any other suggested route to get Grafoscopio in the Summer of code?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Offray
>

>> On 09/02/17 11:05, Serge Stinckwich wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> we are currently working with Alexandre to submit the gsoc proposal to Google.
>> I was a little bit busy with my lectures and I didn't check the
>> current proposals available here:
>>
>> http://gsoc.pharo.org/
>>
>> but all the projects are coming from RMOD team, but having all the
>> projects proposal coming from the same place might be perceived
>> negatively from Google. Can we add more projects from previous gsoc
>> form other people also ?
>>
>> We have only one hour to polish the list.
>> Thank you for your help.

Re: Final rush for submitting GSOC proposal - Need your help

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2
Excellent! I will create the proposal to have it ready for tomorrow.

Jupyter support could be nice, but I would think is some kind of ZeroMQ
support really. That would enable multiple kernels inside Pharo with the
advantages of live coding, powerful inspectors and debuggers, not
present in the Jupyter notebook interface. Hydrogen[1] and nteract[2][3]
are taking this route of enabling Jupyter kernels inside desktop apps
with results far more interesting that what is possible on the web
interface.

[1] https://github.com/nteract/hydrogen
[2] https://nteract.io/
[3] https://github.com/nteract/nteract

Cheers,

Offray

On 09/02/17 12:57, [hidden email] wrote:

> You mean, you would be the student ? ;-)
> I can be the mentor. This is nice if we have one subject with already one student.
>
> We would like to add a subject with Nick about Jupyter support for Pharo.
>

> Envoyé de mon iPhone
>
>> Le 9 févr. 2017 à 18:18, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> As I said, I would like to work on Grafoscopio for the GSOC, but I lack a supervisor. I even can work on the proposal but I would need a supervisor to help me with the GTTools-Spec related issues and improving test coverage and code quality where needed. Is possible to create a project in this "reverse" way (from a candidate looking for a supervisor)? If yes, any supervisor would be interested? Any other suggested route to get Grafoscopio in the Summer of code?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Offray
>>

>>> On 09/02/17 11:05, Serge Stinckwich wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> we are currently working with Alexandre to submit the gsoc proposal to Google.
>>> I was a little bit busy with my lectures and I didn't check the
>>> current proposals available here:
>>>
>>> http://gsoc.pharo.org/
>>>
>>> but all the projects are coming from RMOD team, but having all the
>>> projects proposal coming from the same place might be perceived
>>> negatively from Google. Can we add more projects from previous gsoc
>>> form other people also ?
>>>
>>> We have only one hour to polish the list.
>>> Thank you for your help.

Re: Final rush for submitting GSOC proposal - Need your help

SergeStinckwich
On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 12:48 AM, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Excellent! I will create the proposal to have it ready for tomorrow.

Great, tell me when this ready.

> Jupyter support could be nice, but I would think is some kind of ZeroMQ
> support really. That would enable multiple kernels inside Pharo with the
> advantages of live coding, powerful inspectors and debuggers, not present in
> the Jupyter notebook interface. Hydrogen[1] and nteract[2][3] are taking
> this route of enabling Jupyter kernels inside desktop apps with results far
> more interesting that what is possible on the web interface.

I think there is a ZeroMQ implementation in Pharo ?
In order to built a Pharo kernel we have two solutions: built
something in Python that run Pharo from command-line or
implement a kernel in Pharo. The 1st solution will allows you to have
a working solution very fast, but I will prefer the other solution ;-)

> [1] https://github.com/nteract/hydrogen
> [2] https://nteract.io/
> [3] https://github.com/nteract/nteract

Yes I know about these tools. I think we need to have first a basic
support for Pharo and we can have something more live after that.
and maybe use Grafoscopio as an interface ;-)

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Final rush for submitting GSOC proposal - Need your help

SergeStinckwich
On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 5:28 PM, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 09/02/17 17:05, Serge Stinckwich wrote:
>>
>> but all the projects are coming from RMOD team, but having all the
>> projects proposal coming from the same place might be perceived
>> negatively from Google. Can we add more projects from previous gsoc
>> from other people also ?
>

> My two earlier proposals are fine, and already on the site.

Can you reduce the size of the "Distributed Issue Tracker" subject
because there is too much details compared to other subjects.

Thank you.
--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Final rush for submitting GSOC proposal - Need your help

Ben Coman
On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 6:48 PM, Serge Stinckwich
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 5:28 PM, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 09/02/17 17:05, Serge Stinckwich wrote:
>>>
>>> but all the projects are coming from RMOD team, but having all the
>>> projects proposal coming from the same place might be perceived
>>> negatively from Google. Can we add more projects from previous gsoc
>>> from other people also ?
>>

>> My two earlier proposals are fine, and already on the site.
>
> Can you reduce the size of the "Distributed Issue Tracker" subject
> because there is too much details compared to other subjects.

Sorry I'm late with this feedback...
For the "Distributed Issue Tracker" I read "The recent decision by
Google to deprecate and stop its API for the Google Issue Tracker"

So how recent was this?  I thought it was a few years ago when Fogbugz
was adopted.
This strikes me as a poor presentation of our capability to execute GSoC.
For a timely correction, I'd done this...
https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-project-proposals/pull/33
Two commits
a. No text changes. Inserted new lines to make it more readable in editor.
b. Shrunk test of DIT project.

cheers -ben

Re: Final rush for submitting GSOC proposal - Need your help

stepharong
Let us if we get accepted and we address this problem.
I think that this is important to have "students" not just having to learn
pharo to get started.

On 10/02/17 05:45, Serge Stinckwich wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 12:48 AM, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Excellent! I will create the proposal to have it ready for tomorrow.
> Great, tell me when this ready.

It is. See at:
https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-project-proposals/pull/34

>> Jupyter support could be nice, but I would think is some kind of ZeroMQ
>> support really. That would enable multiple kernels inside Pharo with the
>> advantages of live coding, powerful inspectors and debuggers, not present in
>> the Jupyter notebook interface. Hydrogen[1] and nteract[2][3] are taking
>> this route of enabling Jupyter kernels inside desktop apps with results far
>> more interesting that what is possible on the web interface.
> I think there is a ZeroMQ implementation in Pharo ?
> In order to built a Pharo kernel we have two solutions: built
> something in Python that run Pharo from command-line or
> implement a kernel in Pharo. The 1st solution will allows you to have
> a working solution very fast, but I will prefer the other solution ;-)

Yes I would prefer the second one via ZeroMQ and Pharo. In that way you
could use the same technology that Jupyter and nteract are using to
enable several programming language kernels talking with the notebook. I
think that the notebook we can create inside Pharo is far superior that
the existing ones in terms of UI, inspectors, visuals and live coding.

>> [1] https://github.com/nteract/hydrogen
>> [2] https://nteract.io/
>> [3] https://github.com/nteract/nteract
> Yes I know about these tools. I think we need to have first a basic
> support for Pharo and we can have something more live after that.
> and maybe use Grafoscopio as an interface ;-)
>
> Regards,

Yes, using Grafoscopio as and interface for literate computing and
reproducible research, native to Pharo and talking with several external
languages would be a dream come true :-).

Cheers,

Offray

Re: Final rush for submitting GSOC proposal - Need your help

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2
Thanks Stephan,

I have send the PR [1] to have Grafoscopio included in the GSoC
proposals. Hopefully we will get accepted and we can leverage on the
experience of learners already in the community, that are still students
:-) (this is my last year as student in the PhD).

[1] https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-project-proposals/pull/34

Cheers,

Offray