Finalization quirk

Schwab,Wilhelm K
I am trying to add finalization to something and appear to be at a point that finalization does not happen until I open the process browser.  Any ideas?

Bill

Re: Finalization quirk

Randal L. Schwartz

Wilhelm> I am trying to add finalization to something and appear to be at a
Wilhelm> point that finalization does not happen until I open the process
Wilhelm> browser.  Any ideas?

You're already past the point where you realize that finalization happens
"sometime in the future" right?  As in, it won't happen until the VM
happens to notice that nobody holds a reference to the object, typically
during a garbage collection sweep.

If you're not past that point, you soon will be. :)

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: Finalization quirk

Gary Chambers-4
Finalisation seems a bit random in Squeak/Pharo. Sometimes needs a
globalGarbageCollect to kick it. Part of the reason we try to avoid
excessive use (Sockets still remain etc.).

Regards, Gary

>I am trying to add finalization to something and appear to be at a point
>that finalization does not happen until I open the process browser.  Any
>ideas?
>
> Bill

Re: Finalization quirk

johnmci
Bill, I always tell people

(a) finalization will occur later, not when you think it should
(b) finalization will occur slower/faster than you think.
(c) both (a) & (b) will vary

You're violating (a)

There is mention of doing a full GC will force the finalization, but I can't recall if that finalizes (all) objects in old oops space in one pass with squeak.
Various Smalltalk flavours and versions do things differently, some at different times & versions perhaps would only finalize one oops per pass (visualage).

On 2010-01-06, at 10:12 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> I am trying to add finalization to something and appear to be at a point that finalization does not happen until I open the process browser.  Any ideas?
>
> Bill

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882

Re: Finalization quirk

Gary Chambers-4

Indeed, not all per pass...

I find that, in Squeak, compared to VisualAge, for instance, that finalisation rarely happens regularly... This does tend to lead to quite prolonged processing when most critical...

On 2010-01-06, at 10:12 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> I am trying to add finalization to something and appear to be at a point that finalization does not happen until I open the process browser.  Any ideas?

> Bill

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>  Twitter:  squeaker68882

Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

Re: Finalization quirk

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Gary,

At this point, I'd settle for evidence that it is at least random.  So far, it appears to do nothing until some type of "big" system event happens, almost to the point of acting like a pre-shutdown cleanup.  I _thought_ I saw more predictable activity in another situation where I use finalization, but that might have been more that I was squeezing bugs out of my finalization code and was just happy to see the end of the walkbacks :)  It could also be that the code in question is a little memory hungry and was (just a guess) kicking off more and more substantial GC activity and prodded finalization that way??

For laughs I tried switching the mutual exclusion semaphore to a mutex, and tried signaling the finalization semaphore myself.  Neither seemed to improve the situation.

In my current situation, finalization is really a coward's way out anyway.  I have gnuplot giving me png images via pipes, and now want to begin to do that more than once per external process, and also to allow it to work if the goal is indeed to write files, etc.  So far, I have been reading the image off the pipe and closing gnuplot more or less in one operation, which needs to change.  With good coding, I should be able to retain ensured cleanup and still allow multiple interactions per OS process, and with fewer gnuplot instances created, some delay in finalizing them (if I do fail to ensure cleanup) should not be a big disaster.

That said, I still think there is something wrong with the current finalization implementation.  At best, it is nowhere near as predicatable as Dolphin's finlizer.

Bill

Finalisation seems a bit random in Squeak/Pharo. Sometimes needs a globalGarbageCollect to kick it. Part of the reason we try to avoid excessive use (Sockets still remain etc.).

Regards, Gary

>I am trying to add finalization to something and appear to be at a point
>that finalization does not happen until I open the process browser.  Any
>ideas?
>
> Bill

Re: Finalization quirk

Schwab,Wilhelm K

John,

I realize you are being helpful and appreciate same.  However, I am not violating anything; I am simply noting that Pharo is probably not finalizing objects nearly as soon as it could.  My expectations (and awareness that it is not always immediate) come from Dolphin.

Bill

On 2010-01-06, at 10:12 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> I am trying to add finalization to something and appear to be at a point that finalization does not happen until I open the process browser.  Any ideas?
>
> Bill

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882

Re: Finalization quirk

johnmci
Oh sure Bill you're violating rule (a).  In squeak a full finalization pass is require to finalize all objects.
This runs in to the Pharo's desire to only do incremental GCs and avoid a full GC.

SystemDictionary>>setGCParameters

       Smalltalk setGCBiasToGrowGCLimit: 16*1024*1024.
       Smalltalk setGCBiasToGrow: 1.

Which means that the image is happy to lurch around with a 16MB working space. Once that is exceeded then a full GC will occur.
(yes yes, it's more complex that that, but it's just easier to say that's kinda what happens).  The trade is deferring a full GC at the cost
of deferring some finalized objects....

Frankly the default values for vmParameterAt:  5,6,24,25  I think are quite fictional based on desktop/laptop machines used in this decade,
those values come from the era of 16Mhz 68030 macintosh SE/30 machines.  However I do see that in initializeMemorySettingsProfileSeaSide
someone picked more rational numbers but I think it's time that we clean those up this whole area.

Doing this won't solve your finalization timing problem, in fact it might make it even longer or never since the objective would be to avoid a full GC,
and deal with the occasional "pig in the snake" issue.

I've not looked but Squeak images might not invoke setGCBiasToGrowGCLimit: so they would be more prone to invoking a full GC.

For WikiServer on the iPhone I fiddled with a custom memory policy that attempts to avoid a full GC as long as possible since a full GC
pass is measured on an ipod touch in nearly thousands of milliseconds.

On 2010-01-06, at 12:45 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> John,
>
> I realize you are being helpful and appreciate same.  However, I am not violating anything; I am simply noting that Pharo is probably not finalizing objects nearly as soon as it could.  My expectations (and awareness that it is not always immediate) come from Dolphin.
>
> Bill

Adrian Lienhard

On Jan 6, 2010, at 22:09 , John M McIntosh wrote:

> Oh sure Bill you're violating rule (a).  In squeak a full
> finalization pass is require to finalize all objects.
> This runs in to the Pharo's desire to only do incremental GCs and
> avoid a full GC.
>
> SystemDictionary>>setGCParameters
>
>       Smalltalk setGCBiasToGrowGCLimit: 16*1024*1024.
>       Smalltalk setGCBiasToGrow: 1.
>
> Which means that the image is happy to lurch around with a 16MB
> working space. Once that is exceeded then a full GC will occur.
> (yes yes, it's more complex that that, but it's just easier to say
> that's kinda what happens).  The trade is deferring a full GC at the
> cost
> of deferring some finalized objects....
>
> Frankly the default values for vmParameterAt:  5,6,24,25  I think
> are quite fictional based on desktop/laptop machines used in this
> decade,
> those values come from the era of 16Mhz 68030 macintosh SE/30
> machines.  However I do see that in
> initializeMemorySettingsProfileSeaSide
> someone picked more rational numbers but I think it's time that we
> clean those up this whole area.

Where can I find #initializeMemorySettingsProfileSeaSide? Could you
propose new parameters for these settings? It's time to adjust them
for the new decade ;)

Cheers,
Adrian

[...]

Re: Finalization quirk

Stéphane Ducasse
+1

On Jan 7, 2010, at 11:12 AM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> On Jan 6, 2010, at 22:09 , John M McIntosh wrote:
>
>> Oh sure Bill you're violating rule (a).  In squeak a full
>> finalization pass is require to finalize all objects.
>> This runs in to the Pharo's desire to only do incremental GCs and
>> avoid a full GC.
>>
>> SystemDictionary>>setGCParameters
>>
>>      Smalltalk setGCBiasToGrowGCLimit: 16*1024*1024.
>>      Smalltalk setGCBiasToGrow: 1.
>>
>> Which means that the image is happy to lurch around with a 16MB
>> working space. Once that is exceeded then a full GC will occur.
>> (yes yes, it's more complex that that, but it's just easier to say
>> that's kinda what happens).  The trade is deferring a full GC at the
>> cost
>> of deferring some finalized objects....
>>
>> Frankly the default values for vmParameterAt:  5,6,24,25  I think
>> are quite fictional based on desktop/laptop machines used in this
>> decade,
>> those values come from the era of 16Mhz 68030 macintosh SE/30
>> machines.  However I do see that in
>> initializeMemorySettingsProfileSeaSide
>> someone picked more rational numbers but I think it's time that we
>> clean those up this whole area.
>
> Where can I find #initializeMemorySettingsProfileSeaSide? Could you
> propose new parameters for these settings? It's time to adjust them
> for the new decade ;)
>
> Cheers,
> Adrian
>

> [...]

Re: Finalization quirk

johnmci
> initializeMemorySettingsProfileSeaSide

is in the pharo image also initializeMemorySettingsProfileQF which I have no idea about...

On 2010-01-07, at 2:12 AM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> On Jan 6, 2010, at 22:09 , John M McIntosh wrote:
>
>> Oh sure Bill you're violating rule (a).  In squeak a full finalization pass is require to finalize all objects.
>> This runs in to the Pharo's desire to only do incremental GCs and avoid a full GC.
>>
>> SystemDictionary>>setGCParameters
>>
>>      Smalltalk setGCBiasToGrowGCLimit: 16*1024*1024.
>>      Smalltalk setGCBiasToGrow: 1.
>>
>> Which means that the image is happy to lurch around with a 16MB working space. Once that is exceeded then a full GC will occur.
>> (yes yes, it's more complex that that, but it's just easier to say that's kinda what happens).  The trade is deferring a full GC at the cost
>> of deferring some finalized objects....
>>
>> Frankly the default values for vmParameterAt:  5,6,24,25  I think are quite fictional based on desktop/laptop machines used in this decade,
>> those values come from the era of 16Mhz 68030 macintosh SE/30 machines.  However I do see that in initializeMemorySettingsProfileSeaSide
>> someone picked more rational numbers but I think it's time that we clean those up this whole area.
>
> Where can I find #initializeMemorySettingsProfileSeaSide? Could you propose new parameters for these settings? It's time to adjust them for the new decade ;)
>
> Cheers,
> Adrian
>

> [...]

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882

Re: Finalization quirk

Adrian Lienhard
ah, I see. I looked in PharoCore and hence didn't find it. These are
from Damien's www.squeaksource.com/ImageForDevelopers.html

We should integrate one default policy into PharoCore. What would be a
sensible default?

Cheers,
Adrian

Re: Finalization quirk

johnmci

On 2010-01-08, at 2:28 AM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> ah, I see. I looked in PharoCore and hence didn't find it. These are
> from Damien's www.squeaksource.com/ImageForDevelopers.html
>
> We should integrate one default policy into PharoCore. What would be a
> sensible default?
>
> Cheers,
> Adrian

I'm currently looking into what the default values should be

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882

Re: Finalization quirk

Stéphane Ducasse
excellent

Stef
On Jan 9, 2010, at 1:24 AM, John M McIntosh wrote:

> On 2010-01-08, at 2:28 AM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:
>
>> ah, I see. I looked in PharoCore and hence didn't find it. These are
>> from Damien's www.squeaksource.com/ImageForDevelopers.html
>>
>> We should integrate one default policy into PharoCore. What would be a
>> sensible default?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Adrian
>
> I'm currently looking into what the default values should be

> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882
> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

Re: Finalization quirk

Philippe Marschall-2-3
On 06.01.2010 21:27, John M McIntosh wrote:
> Bill, I always tell people
>
> (a) finalization will occur later, not when you think it should
> (b) finalization will occur slower/faster than you think.
> (c) both (a) & (b) will vary

(d) finalization will occur in a different process, right?

Cheers
Philippe

Re: Finalization quirk

johnmci
Yes, usually the finalization logic is a separate high priority process.
I think in VisualAge you can also manually call a primitive to get more finalized objects as a way of hurrying finalization along.

I have seen a case at a client where their "higher* priority task stalled finalization, but this was a mistake on their part by a novice,
lowering the priority under memory management tasks fixed the problem.