Firebase or Meteor ?

peter.ode

I am looking for a way to use Amber Smalltalk on a project that's coming up in the next month or so.  I need a back-end database and certain server-side capabilities (such as sending emails).

I've been looking at www.meteor.com  and www.firebase.com.  Firebase seems further along, but is proprietary and a bit too simplistic, lacking certain features for a full blown application system.  Meteor is in "preview" release state and has a much more complete feature set. Meteor uses Javascript on both the client-side and server-side, is open-source and has a very liberal license to encourage unlimited use.

I would like to connect with anybody that has some experience or recommendations with either of the above.  My goal would be to wrap these environments such that only Smalltalk is needed for developing applications that are client-side.

Peter

Re: Firebase or Meteor ?

peter.ode
I love Smalltalk and have a killer framework using an object database, all server-side.  Seaside and AidaWeb are great, but not what I need for numerous reasons.
Server-side Smalltalk has many integration issues with existing systems, but is great for highly complex systems.

Client-side Smalltalk, such as Amber running on a ubiquitous Javascript virtual-machine provides much more flexibility. For example, I might want to embed a client-side app in a CMS system or deploy on mobile devices... I am seeking other like-minded Smalltalk developers that can envision a complete development/deployment stack for building enterprise quality web apps.  Far more can be done in an open-source and/or team environment.

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 1:17 PM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Peter Odehnal
778 338-4800

Re: Firebase or Meteor ?

Andy Burnett
Hi Peter,
I am with you 100%. I have been doing some - very simple - experiments with Firebase.  My intention is to create an Amber wrapper for Firebase, so that we can use it as a domain model. Herby gave me some good advice on how to integrate the two, and I am hoping to have time to work on it shortly.  I would be delighted to collaborate with you on a Firebase, or Meteor integration.

Cheers
Andy