First GemStone, now Dabbled DB ...

Geert Claes
Administrator
So, Twitter acquired Smallthought Systems (DabbleDB/Trendly) http://blog.twitter.com/2010/06/more-than-dabbling.html I guess that'll be the end of Dabble DB.

Re: First GemStone, now Dabbled DB ...

SergeStinckwich
On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 1:26 PM, Geert Claes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So, Twitter acquired Smallthought Systems (DabbleDB/Trendly)
> http://blog.twitter.com/2010/06/more-than-dabbling.html
> http://blog.twitter.com/2010/06/more-than-dabbling.html  I guess that'll be
> the end of Dabble DB.

Maybe Twitter will use Smalltalk+Gemstone instead of Ruby ;-)

--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk

Re: First GemStone, now Dabbled DB ...

Dale Henrichs
Geert Claes wrote:
> So, Twitter acquired Smallthought Systems (DabbleDB/Trendly)
> http://blog.twitter.com/2010/06/more-than-dabbling.html
> http://blog.twitter.com/2010/06/more-than-dabbling.html  I guess that'll be
> the end of Dabble DB.

Geert,

In all fairness, the VMWare acquisition of GemStone is very different
from the Twitter acquisition of DabbleDB.

Under VMWare, GemStone/S is continuing to do business as usual, with no
plans to impact our business in the foreseeable future.

Dale

Re: First GemStone, now Dabbled DB ...

Geert Claes
Administrator
Dale Henrichs wrote
In all fairness, the VMWare acquisition of GemStone is very different from the Twitter acquisition of DabbleDB.
No worries Dale, I was just referring to another Smalltalk company being acquired :)

Re: First GemStone, now Dabbled DB ...

Schwab,Wilhelm K
The question is whether Twitter will recognize that there were reasons that DabbleDB was worth acquiring, and that much of it might be lost in any forced translation they might have in mind.

> In all fairness, the VMWare acquisition of GemStone is very different from
> the Twitter acquisition of DabbleDB.

No worries Dale, I was just referring to another Smalltalk company being
acquired :)

Re: First GemStone, now Dabbled DB ...

Geert Claes
Administrator
Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote
The question is whether Twitter will recognize that there were reasons that DabbleDB was worth acquiring, and that much of it might be lost in any forced translation they might have in mind.
Well, they acquired Smallthought and seem to be more interested in Trendly (which probably makes more sense for Twitter) rather than DabbleDB.

Re: First GemStone, now Dabbled DB ...

Chris Muller-3
DabbleDB is not the only Smalltalk casualty here, but, apparently,
too, Avi himself.  Will Twitter use any of Smallthought's
Smalltalk-based technology?  It appears, to me, they're intent on
eventually shutting it all down.  60 days doesn't seem like a lot of
time for a large customer to find a new system, wow...

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 3:01 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The question is whether Twitter will recognize that there were reasons that DabbleDB was worth acquiring, and that much of it might be lost in any forced translation they might have in mind.

Igor Stasenko
On 14 June 2010 02:33, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> DabbleDB is not the only Smalltalk casualty here, but, apparently,
> too, Avi himself.  Will Twitter use any of Smallthought's
> Smalltalk-based technology?  It appears, to me, they're intent on
> eventually shutting it all down.  60 days doesn't seem like a lot of
> time for a large customer to find a new system, wow...

Acquring a company to simply shut it down?
I doubt this is the case, because it doesn't makes much sense in this
situation.
Twitter were competing with DabbleDB?
I don't wanna speculate about it.

> On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 3:01 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The question is whether Twitter will recognize that there were reasons that DabbleDB was worth acquiring, and that much of it might be lost in any forced translation they might have in mind.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Smallthought FUD

jgfoster
On Jun 13, 2010, at 4:33 PM, Chris Muller wrote:

> DabbleDB is not the only Smalltalk casualty here, but, apparently,
> too, Avi himself.  Will Twitter use any of Smallthought's
> Smalltalk-based technology?  It appears, to me, they're intent on
> eventually shutting it all down.  60 days doesn't seem like a lot of
> time for a large customer to find a new system, wow...

I have no inside information, but the above seems me to be unwarranted. First, the style comes across as "assume the worst and place the burden on the other party to clear up the confusion." Can't we give someone who has done so much for our community the benefit of the doubt?

Next, if you read the public announcements, it seems evident that the primary value was an analytics tool (and the people who built it), not a Seaside application. True, we haven't heard much about the technology behind Trendly, but why are you assuming it isn't Smalltalk? What language would you use if you were doing complex data analysis? It isn't like they got bought by Microsoft because they have demonstrated proficiency with C#.

You might read the promise to "for now, we will continue to provide our software and technical supports" as "intent on eventually shutting it all down," but I read it as "change is coming, but we haven't determined exactly the direction." As to possible transitions over some future 60 day period, my understanding of the customer base is that there is no "large customer." The whole model of the system is focused on small data sets. Perhaps nothing could fully replace DabbleDB, but that doesn't mean that the people that have had the benefit of it are worse off if they eventually have to return to a less useful alternative.

Again, I have no information beyond what Avi and others have shared at conferences. I just choose to rejoice in the much-deserved success of a respected member of our community.

James

Re: First GemStone, now Dabbled DB ...

Geert Claes
Administrator
Chris Muller-3 wrote
DabbleDB is not the only Smalltalk casualty here, but, apparently, too, Avi himself.  Will Twitter use any of Smallthought's Smalltalk-based technology?  It appears, to me, they're intent on eventually shutting it all down.  60 days doesn't seem like a lot of time for a large customer to find a new system, wow...
Casualty?  I don't think so, Avi is a smart cookie and I am sure he'll wow the folks at Twitter :)

Re: Smallthought FUD

Richard Durr-2
They use Java, Python and Ruby and some Squeak and Javascript