First contributing guide for PolyMath

Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

First contributing guide for PolyMath

SergeStinckwich
I push a first version of the contributing guide on github : https://github.com/PolyMathOrg/PolyMath/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md

Please tell me if there something missing or incorrect.
​I guess we should describe shortly how to use Iceberg to contribute ?

Regards,​

--
Serge Stinckwich
UMI UMMISCO 209 (SU/IRD/UY1)
"Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute."
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "PolyMath" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: First contributing guide for PolyMath

werner kassens-2
On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 5:46 PM, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> wrote:
​I guess we should describe shortly how to use Iceberg to contribute ?
Hi Serge,
yes please.
werner

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "PolyMath" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: First contributing guide for PolyMath

SergeStinckwich
In reply to this post by SergeStinckwich

On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 4:46 PM Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> wrote:
I push a first version of the contributing guide on github : https://github.com/PolyMathOrg/PolyMath/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md

Please tell me if there something missing or incorrect.
​I guess we should describe shortly how to use Iceberg to contribute ?

Regards,​

--
Serge Stinckwich
UMI UMMISCO 209 (SU/IRD/UY1)
"Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute."
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/


--
Serge Stinckwich
UMI UMMISCO 209 (SU/IRD/UY1)
"Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute."
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "PolyMath" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: First contributing guide for PolyMath

werner kassens-2
Hi Serge,
i tried for a moment to follow the guide:
it says i need pharo 7.0. hence i went to http://pharo.org/download and there is no way described to download pharo 7.0.
werner

On Tuesday, July 3, 2018 at 5:17:15 PM UTC+2, Serge Stinckwich wrote:
I update the guide :
<a href="https://github.com/PolyMathOrg/PolyMath/blob/development/CONTRIBUTING.md" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2FPolyMathOrg%2FPolyMath%2Fblob%2Fdevelopment%2FCONTRIBUTING.md\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHd2yAKnnBI10zwilumwiMs6slZnQ&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2FPolyMathOrg%2FPolyMath%2Fblob%2Fdevelopment%2FCONTRIBUTING.md\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHd2yAKnnBI10zwilumwiMs6slZnQ&#39;;return true;">https://github.com/PolyMathOrg/PolyMath/blob/development/CONTRIBUTING.md

Comments ?

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "PolyMath" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: First contributing guide for PolyMath

SergeStinckwich
Download PharoLauncher and then select a Pharo 7.0 image.

Regards,

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 1:02 PM werner kassens <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Serge,
i tried for a moment to follow the guide:
it says i need pharo 7.0. hence i went to http://pharo.org/download and there is no way described to download pharo 7.0.
werner

On Tuesday, July 3, 2018 at 5:17:15 PM UTC+2, Serge Stinckwich wrote:

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "PolyMath" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


--
Serge Stinckwich
UMI UMMISCO 209 (SU/IRD/UY1)
"Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute."
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "PolyMath" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: First contributing guide for PolyMath

werner kassens-2
Hi Serge,
thanks. i tried to follow your guide. still there are a several unclear things. eg i made a pull request, but i made it on _my site. should i have made it on _your site?
werner

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 3:09 PM, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> wrote:
Download PharoLauncher and then select a Pharo 7.0 image.

Regards,

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 1:02 PM werner kassens <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Serge,
i tried for a moment to follow the guide:
it says i need pharo 7.0. hence i went to http://pharo.org/download and there is no way described to download pharo 7.0.
werner

On Tuesday, July 3, 2018 at 5:17:15 PM UTC+2, Serge Stinckwich wrote:

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "PolyMath" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


--
Serge Stinckwich
UMI UMMISCO 209 (SU/IRD/UY1)
"Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute."
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "PolyMath" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "PolyMath" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: First contributing guide for PolyMath

SergeStinckwich


On Sat, Jul 7, 2018 at 2:44 PM werner kassens <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Serge,
thanks. i tried to follow your guide. still there are a several unclear things. eg i made a pull request, but i made it on _my site. should i have made it on _your site?

​Sorry, I do not give all details, because this is the normal way to do pull request on github.​
​After you fork the PolyMath repo on your side, you do a commit on your repo and then from your commit​, you create a pull request that is applied on the main PolyMath repo.

On your repo this is written : "This branch is 1 commit ahead of PolyMathOrg:development."
You just have to click on pull request on the right.

Normally you can do that from Iceberg also.

--
Serge Stinckwich
UMI UMMISCO 209 (SU/IRD/UY1)
"Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute."
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "PolyMath" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: First contributing guide for PolyMath

werner kassens-2
Hi Serge,
i <g>eventually understand, i initially made the right thing and then i should not have closed the request. what iritates me is that one should do things in iceberg _and on the own github page. i initially feared one would additionally need to do something on your page. ok, ok, i already made my opinion of this git-thing very clear and my experience so far did not change that opinion at all. i guess, should this package be included i should also add some docu on your page, right? you probably have seen the initial docu i added on my page? perhaps the last example there of counting the number of possible dice colorings at the end could be an example of what can be done with polymath, you asked for in another thread?
and - sorry - another question: you say at the end "remove your branch from your fork". where do i do that, on my github page or in iceberg? and where do i find the necessary commands therefore? i have not yet found them.
werner

On Sat, Jul 7, 2018 at 7:40 PM, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> wrote:


On Sat, Jul 7, 2018 at 2:44 PM werner kassens <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Serge,
thanks. i tried to follow your guide. still there are a several unclear things. eg i made a pull request, but i made it on _my site. should i have made it on _your site?

​Sorry, I do not give all details, because this is the normal way to do pull request on github.​
​After you fork the PolyMath repo on your side, you do a commit on your repo and then from your commit​, you create a pull request that is applied on the main PolyMath repo.

On your repo this is written : "This branch is 1 commit ahead of PolyMathOrg:development."
You just have to click on pull request on the right.

Normally you can do that from Iceberg also.

--
Serge Stinckwich
UMI UMMISCO 209 (SU/IRD/UY1)
"Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute."
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "PolyMath" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "PolyMath" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: First contributing guide for PolyMath

SergeStinckwich


On Sat, Jul 7, 2018 at 8:54 PM werner kassens <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Serge,

Hi Werner,

 
i <g>eventually understand, i initially made the right thing and then i should not have closed the request. what iritates me is that one should do things in iceberg _and on the own github page. i initially feared one would additionally need to do something on your page. ok, ok, i already made my opinion of this git-thing very clear and my experience so far did not change that opinion at all. i guess, should this package be included i should also add some docu on your page, right? you probably have seen the initial docu i added on my page? perhaps the last example there of counting the number of possible dice colorings at the end could be an example of what can be done with polymath, you asked for in another thread?


​Yes maybe this worflow is not perfect but it allows us to review and discuss the changes before they are merged in the main repo.
Thank you for your contribution. I merge all your changes. All tests on travisCI for Pharo 6.1 are green:
I have to check why the appveyor config is not working.
Please put your email adress correctly on your commit if you want you commit to be correctly attributed to you.
 
and - sorry - another question: you say at the end "remove your branch from your fork". where do i do that, on my github page or in iceberg? and where do i find the necessary commands therefore? i have not yet found them.

​I will take care of this. This can be done very easily here:

A+
--
Serge Stinckwich
UMI UMMISCO 209 (SU/IRD/UY1)
"Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute."
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "PolyMath" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: First contributing guide for PolyMath

SergeStinckwich
I see you put documentation about your code here:
This is better to put this doc in the PolyMath repo.
I move it there:

We have to think about a better way to organize documentation for the PolyMath project.
github wiki is maybe not the perfect place.
I would like to have a solution like the one currently tested by Oleks:
based on GTDocumenter.

I add an issue to discuss about that:

A+


On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 3:59 PM Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> wrote:


On Sat, Jul 7, 2018 at 8:54 PM werner kassens <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Serge,

Hi Werner,

 
i <g>eventually understand, i initially made the right thing and then i should not have closed the request. what iritates me is that one should do things in iceberg _and on the own github page. i initially feared one would additionally need to do something on your page. ok, ok, i already made my opinion of this git-thing very clear and my experience so far did not change that opinion at all. i guess, should this package be included i should also add some docu on your page, right? you probably have seen the initial docu i added on my page? perhaps the last example there of counting the number of possible dice colorings at the end could be an example of what can be done with polymath, you asked for in another thread?


​Yes maybe this worflow is not perfect but it allows us to review and discuss the changes before they are merged in the main repo.
Thank you for your contribution. I merge all your changes. All tests on travisCI for Pharo 6.1 are green:
I have to check why the appveyor config is not working.
Please put your email adress correctly on your commit if you want you commit to be correctly attributed to you.
 
and - sorry - another question: you say at the end "remove your branch from your fork". where do i do that, on my github page or in iceberg? and where do i find the necessary commands therefore? i have not yet found them.

​I will take care of this. This can be done very easily here:

A+
--
Serge Stinckwich
UMI UMMISCO 209 (SU/IRD/UY1)
"Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute."
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/


--
Serge Stinckwich
UMI UMMISCO 209 (SU/IRD/UY1)
"Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute."
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "PolyMath" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: First contributing guide for PolyMath

werner kassens-2
In reply to this post by SergeStinckwich
Hi Serge,
thanks for your help.nevertheless i still dont understand the procedure: if i look on my site & chose branch development the next line says:
"This branch is 2 commits behind PolyMathOrg:development." if i then press compare, it says "There isn’t anything to compare". now what? especially if i'm 2 commits behind, how do i update my site?

the reason i ask is i noticed that DualNumberTest>>testRaisedTo failed and i would like to repair that. concerning the failing tests in ArbitraryPrecisionFloat & Complex i think one should ask Nicolas (in APFtest one possibility could eventually be to have a local var compiler := Smalltalk class compilerClass, and use that. it looks very much like a dirty trick to me but it has the advantage that it would probably be compatible with squeak, something i guess Nicolas would prefer ).
werner

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "PolyMath" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: First contributing guide for PolyMath

werner kassens-2
In reply to this post by SergeStinckwich
On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 5:33 PM, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> wrote:
I see you put documentation about your code here:
This is better to put this doc in the PolyMath repo.
I move it there:

thank you Serge, after you have pulled permutation i would have done that anyway i just did not want to put docu about things that dont exist on your site.
Werner

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "PolyMath" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: First contributing guide for PolyMath

SergeStinckwich
In reply to this post by werner kassens-2


On Mon, Jul 9, 2018 at 1:38 PM werner kassens <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Serge,
thanks for your help.nevertheless i still dont understand the procedure: if i look on my site & chose branch development the next line says:
"This branch is 2 commits behind PolyMathOrg:development." if i then press compare, it says "There isn’t anything to compare". now what? especially if i'm 2 commits behind, how do i update my site?


​Yes you have to switch the base fork and the head fork​:
 
the reason i ask is i noticed that DualNumberTest>>testRaisedTo failed and i would like to repair that. concerning the failing tests in ArbitraryPrecisionFloat & Complex i think one should ask Nicolas (in APFtest one possibility could eventually be to have a local var compiler := Smalltalk class compilerClass, and use that. it looks very much like a dirty trick to me but it has the advantage that it would probably be compatible with squeak, something i guess Nicolas would prefer ).

​At the moment we have no support for a Squeak version of PolyMath, so I made a quick&dirty change from Compiler to Smalltalk compiler in order to pass the test:
If someone want to invest to a Squeak support, he is welcome, but the main problem is that Tonel is not supported by Pharo I guess.

Thank you your help.
Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
UMI UMMISCO 209 (SU/IRD/UY1)
"Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute."
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "PolyMath" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: First contributing guide for PolyMath

werner kassens-2


On Monday, July 9, 2018 at 5:19:24 PM UTC+2, Serge Stinckwich wrote:


On Mon, Jul 9, 2018 at 1:38 PM werner kassens <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="NUWKpWXECgAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">werne...@...> wrote:
Hi Serge,
thanks for your help.nevertheless i still dont understand the procedure: if i look on my site & chose branch development the next line says:
"This branch is 2 commits behind PolyMathOrg:development." if i then press compare, it says "There isn’t anything to compare". now what? especially if i'm 2 commits behind, how do i update my site?


​Yes you have to switch the base fork and the head fork​:
<a href="https://github.com/WernerK/PolyMath/compare/development...PolyMathOrg:development" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2FWernerK%2FPolyMath%2Fcompare%2Fdevelopment...PolyMathOrg%3Adevelopment\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHA7HadrdHJZDHG53YW85smu-dskA&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2FWernerK%2FPolyMath%2Fcompare%2Fdevelopment...PolyMathOrg%3Adevelopment\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHA7HadrdHJZDHG53YW85smu-dskA&#39;;return true;">https://github.com/WernerK/PolyMath/compare/development...PolyMathOrg:development

Hi Serge,
ok i can do that, but there is no update or merge button at my site at all to do that merge?
i tried it from iceberg but there i suppose i have first to pull or fetch or whatever something from your site & iceberg didnt show anything for this?
werner

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "PolyMath" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: First contributing guide for PolyMath

SergeStinckwich


On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 12:53 PM werner kassens <[hidden email]> wrote:


On Monday, July 9, 2018 at 5:19:24 PM UTC+2, Serge Stinckwich wrote:


On Mon, Jul 9, 2018 at 1:38 PM werner kassens <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Serge,
thanks for your help.nevertheless i still dont understand the procedure: if i look on my site & chose branch development the next line says:
"This branch is 2 commits behind PolyMathOrg:development." if i then press compare, it says "There isn’t anything to compare". now what? especially if i'm 2 commits behind, how do i update my site?


​Yes you have to switch the base fork and the head fork​:

Hi Serge,
ok i can do that, but there is no update or merge button at my site at all to do that merge?
i tried it from iceberg but there i suppose i have first to pull or fetch or whatever something from your site & iceberg didnt show anything for this?
werner

​This is really fast to fork a repo on github. So instead to try to sync, I think it will be better for you to just delete the old fork and refork ;-)​ I made a PR for the testPrintAndEvaluate test that fails here :


--
Serge Stinckwich
UMI UMMISCO 209 (SU/IRD/UY1)
"Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute."
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "PolyMath" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: First contributing guide for PolyMath

werner kassens-2
Hi Serge,
 i reviewed your change at PolyMathOrg/PolyMath. but actually i dont know how to import such a PR with iceberg. i have the impression that iceberg even doesnt know that your site exists although i forked your site and this is obvious at my site, iow iceberg should know that. additionally i dont even see how i delete my fork <stupid grin>. So let me for the moment give up on git & iceberg. i will at some later date revisit these things perhaps if somebody has written a functional docu for iceberg.
werner

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 3:22 PM, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is really fast to fork a repo on github. So instead to try to sync, I think it will be better for you to just delete the old fork and refork ;-)​ I made a PR for the testPrintAndEvaluate test that fails here :

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "PolyMath" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: First contributing guide for PolyMath

SergeStinckwich


On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 1:29 PM werner kassens <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Serge,
 i reviewed your change at PolyMathOrg/PolyMath. but actually i dont know how to import such a PR with iceberg. i have the impression that iceberg even doesnt know that your site exists although i forked your site and this is obvious at my site, iow iceberg should know that. additionally i dont even see how i delete my fork <stupid grin>. So let me for the moment give up on git & iceberg. i will at some later date revisit these things perhaps if somebody has written a functional docu for iceberg.

​There are still some issues when you use Iceberg, but this is much better than before.

--
Serge Stinckwich
UMI UMMISCO 209 (SU/IRD/UY1)
"Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute."
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "PolyMath" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.