First green ball on Jenkins

Chris Cunnington
http://squeakci.org/

Frank, has made the first green ball appear on the Jenkins server.
We invite you to look at this beautiful, multi-shaded green icon right
there, large as life.

Yea, Frank!

Chris

Re: First green ball on Jenkins

Hannes Hirzel
First time in history of Squeak that we can download an image with up
to the latest update included. Much faster to download an image than
updating locally. Ideal for testing. Great! Many thanks.

--Hannes

On 7/31/12, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://squeakci.org/
>
> Frank, has made the first green ball appear on the Jenkins server.
> We invite you to look at this beautiful, multi-shaded green icon right
> there, large as life.
>
> Yea, Frank!
>
> Chris

Re: First green ball on Jenkins

Frank Shearar-3
On 31 July 2012 20:53, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> First time in history of Squeak that we can download an image with up
> to the latest update included. Much faster to download an image than
> updating locally. Ideal for testing. Great! Many thanks.

Ooh, careful there! This image isn't the latest up-to-date image. It's
about 100 updates behind. This is a first step, not a final one.

Still to do, I need to
* add all the rest of the tests to the script,
* browbeat all & sundry into getting a green light on the remaining
tests (or saving them for later work by calling them expected
failures),
* updating the image under test before running the test so we _do_
have a green light on the absolute latest image.

And then I'm sure we'll have more things to add to the todo list.

frank

> --Hannes
>
> On 7/31/12, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> http://squeakci.org/
>>
>> Frank, has made the first green ball appear on the Jenkins server.
>> We invite you to look at this beautiful, multi-shaded green icon right
>> there, large as life.
>>
>> Yea, Frank!
>>
>> Chris

Re: First green ball on Jenkins

radoslav hodnicak
Well it's red again :-)

What I'm interested in - is it/will it be possible to reuse this build server as upstream for my own jenkins server to build my own images based on squeak?
(if I ever have one, this is purely theoretical at the moment)

rado

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 10:15 PM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 31 July 2012 20:53, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> First time in history of Squeak that we can download an image with up
> to the latest update included. Much faster to download an image than
> updating locally. Ideal for testing. Great! Many thanks.

Ooh, careful there! This image isn't the latest up-to-date image. It's
about 100 updates behind. This is a first step, not a final one.

Still to do, I need to
* add all the rest of the tests to the script,
* browbeat all & sundry into getting a green light on the remaining
tests (or saving them for later work by calling them expected
failures),
* updating the image under test before running the test so we _do_
have a green light on the absolute latest image.

And then I'm sure we'll have more things to add to the todo list.

frank

> --Hannes
>
> On 7/31/12, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> http://squeakci.org/
>>
>> Frank, has made the first green ball appear on the Jenkins server.
>> We invite you to look at this beautiful, multi-shaded green icon right
>> there, large as life.
>>
>> Yea, Frank!
>>
>> Chris

Re: First green ball on Jenkins

Yanni Chiu
On 31/07/12 3:53 PM, H. Hirzel wrote:
> First time in history of Squeak that we can download an image with up
> to the latest update included.

That's not entirely accurate. See:

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-April/148204.html

Back when Hudson/Jenkins was being built out, I had the above server set
up, but I had to disable it because it would stop building properly
after a few updates (for which I had to adjust the build code).
Eventually, I took the server down, since there did not seem to be huge
interest coming from the Squeak community. I think there were two other
attempts to get a build server going. Congrats Chris and Frank for
getting it to this point, and keep up the momentum.

On 31 July 2012 22:49, radoslav hodnicak <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Well it's red again :-)

Yes, sadly: it looks like Hudson really doesn't like having locally
modified files in the checked out git repository. Sad, because
clearing out that change is a single command - 'git reset --hard'.

Anyway, I suspect the reason for that is the first successful build,
by virtue of running the test script, changed the changes file. The
fix is to take the pristine image, copy it, and run the tests in THAT
image. I'll fix that later today.

frank

On 1 August 2012 07:23, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 31 July 2012 22:49, radoslav hodnicak <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Well it's red again :-)
>
> Yes, sadly: it looks like Hudson really doesn't like having locally
> modified files in the checked out git repository. Sad, because
> clearing out that change is a single command - 'git reset --hard'.
>
> Anyway, I suspect the reason for that is the first successful build,
> by virtue of running the test script, changed the changes file. The
> fix is to take the pristine image, copy it, and run the tests in THAT
> image. I'll fix that later today.

OK, I have a possible fix. Chris Cunnington, would you please run "git
reset --hard" in /home/teamjenkins/workspace/Squeak ? You'll need to
do that as the jenkins user or via sudo, rather than teamjenkins.
Thanks!

frank