First steps building to GS64 in Travis

GLASS mailing list
Hi everybody!
Most of our open source projects at github.com/ba-st are using Travis for building Pharo images and checking that everything can be loaded.

Now we wanted to add builds for Gemstone, to confirm that the projects can be loaded and used from a GS64 image.

We started out simple, with Buoy, which is one of the smallest projects.
After adding "- GemStone-3.3.4" to the smalltalk: section of .travis.yml[1] in Github and #gemstone to .smalltalk.ston[2] we checked to see that the build is sadly failing[3].

It seems that the relevant error message is:
ERROR 2710 , a MetacelloPackageSpecResolutionError occurred (error 2710), Could not resolve: BaselineOfBuoy [BaselineOfBuoy] in cache filetree:///home/travis/build/ba-st/Buoy/source (MetacelloPackageSpecResolutionError)

Since our project is using Tonel, we believe it might be related to Tonel support in Gemstone and/or Travis.

Also, I noticed that after logging to topaz, the script executed is:
      GsDeployer bulkMigrate: [
        Metacello new
          baseline: 'SmalltalkCI';
          repository: 'filetree:///home/travis/smalltalkCI-master/repository';
          load: 'Core'.
        System commitTransaction.
        (Smalltalk at: #SmalltalkCI) load: '/home/travis/build/ba-st/Buoy/.smalltalk.ston'.
      ].

This is quite different from the equivalent seen in Grease[4], where the code is:
      (Smalltalk at: #SmalltalkCI) test: '/home/travis/build/SeasideSt/Grease/.smalltalk.ston' named: 'GemStone-3.3.4 Server (travis)'.

It might have nothing to do, but we're really stumped about how to proceed from here.

It could be that we're missing some very obvious fact, so please let us know if there's any idea around about how to better troubleshoot this or change the project setup.

Thanks!

Dr. Maximiliano Tabacman
Desarrollo y Tecnología
Mercap
Tel: +54 (011) 5352-2372 al 74
http://www.mercapsoftware.com
This message is confidential. It may also contain information that is privileged or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you have received it by mistake please let us know by e-mail immediately and delete it from your system; also you shouldn't copy the message nor disclose its contents to anyone. Thanks.

Re: First steps building to GS64 in Travis

GLASS mailing list

On 10/19/2018 09:49 AM, Maximiliano Tabacman via Glass wrote:
[...]

Tonel is not yet supported by GLASS, so that is almost certainly the cause of your problem ... I have been too busy with GemStone product projects over the last two years to do/finish the port of Tonel to GLASS/GsDevKit ...

My original port of Tonel to GemStone is here[1], but it has not been worked on for year and I'm sure it is not quite up to snuff ... there has been more recent work in porting Tonel to the GemStone base (.gs file-based) for 3.5 (which has not been released) and then as the work on Rowan[2] has heated up, I moved the 3.5 code into Rowan and have gotten it working there for 3.2.15[3] (note this is on the masterv1.1 branch), but the story does not end there:)

Right at the moment I am busy working on a new Rowan-specific implementation of Tonel/Filetree readers and writers[4] --- which itself is based on a port of FileSystem to the GemStone base[5] (currently in a private repository -- ready to be made public, but I haven't had the time:) ...

Once I've completed this work, my plan is to get Rowan support into SmalltalkCI[6],[7]...

My fantasy is that once these FileSystem-based Tonel/Filetree readers/writers are complete and we've got Rowan supported in SmalltalkCI, I could start recruiting volunteers from the community to help port Rowan to 3.3 and 3.4 and help integrate Rowan into GLASS/GsDevKit which would result in Tonel being supported:)

Soooo, if there _are_ folks who have the cycles to start contributing (I know that is a big IF), I could use the help in getting Rowan support into SmalltalkCI. I have bits and pieces of the support implemented and have a SmalltalkCi project[8] in Rowan where I've got skeleton plans laid out ... if there are willing volunteers, I would definitely carve out some time to flesh out the detail work that is needed and help folks get started in on doing the work ...

While Rowan and SmalltalkCI are the big ticket items ... the FileSystem project could use some work in porting to 3.3 and 3.4. There are a handful failing tests and there is some unfinished work on the encoded streams that could use some polishing, if there are willing volunteers, I would carve out time to help them get going and provide pointers to the places that need work.

If no one volunteers to help, then you all will have to wait until I finish slogging through these projects:)

[1] https://github.com/GsDevKit/tonel
[2] https://github.com/GemTalk/Rowan
[3] https://github.com/GemTalk/Rowan/tree/masterV1.1/platforms/gemstone/topaz/3.2.15/tonel
[4] https://github.com/GemTalk/Rowan/issues/361
[5] https://github.com/GemTalk/FileSystemGs
[6] https://github.com/GemTalk/Rowan/issues/302
[7] https://github.com/hpi-swa/smalltalkCI/issues/387
[8] https://github.com/GemTalk/Rowan/projects/5

Also, I noticed that after logging to topaz, the script executed is:
      GsDeployer bulkMigrate: [
        Metacello new
          baseline: 'SmalltalkCI';
          repository: 'filetree:///home/travis/smalltalkCI-master/repository';
          load: 'Core'.
        System commitTransaction.
        (Smalltalk at: #SmalltalkCI) load: '/home/travis/build/ba-st/Buoy/.smalltalk.ston'.
      ].

This is quite different from the equivalent seen in Grease[4], where the code is:
      (Smalltalk at: #SmalltalkCI) test: '/home/travis/build/SeasideSt/Grease/.smalltalk.ston' named: 'GemStone-3.3.4 Server (travis)'.
Actually the Grease run executes the same code[9] to _load_ SmalltalkCI... the #test:named: code is what runs the tests once the SmalltalkCI code is loaded...

[9] https://travis-ci.org/SeasideSt/Grease/jobs/432236015#L2238-L2247

It might have nothing to do, but we're really stumped about how to proceed from here.

It could be that we're missing some very obvious fact, so please let us know if there's any idea around about how to better troubleshoot this or change the project setup.
I think the big one is Tonel support and I've probably beaten that horse enough already:) ... If you convert your repository to FileTree format, you should be able to support Buoy and the other projects in both GemStone and Pharo ...

Dale

Thanks!

Dr. Maximiliano Tabacman
Desarrollo y Tecnología
Mercap
Tel: +54 (011) 5352-2372 al 74
http://www.mercapsoftware.com
This message is confidential. It may also contain information that is privileged or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you have received it by mistake please let us know by e-mail immediately and delete it from your system; also you shouldn't copy the message nor disclose its contents to anyone. Thanks.

Re: First steps building to GS64 in Travis

GLASS mailing list
Ok Dale.
It's good to know where things stand (and that our ignorance on the topic wasn't causing the issue :P ).

We will move on for now without that support since our code is mostly in VA, and can't currently ask for development time for the steps you mention.
But we will certainly keep our ears open for any opportunity we, or other developers, can put into it in the future.

Thanks for your lightning fast answer and for all the amazing work you continue to do for the community.
Cheers

[...]

GS on MacOS Mojave

GLASS mailing list
Hi All,

Is GemStone running the latest MacOS - Mojave?

I didn’t want to upgrade just in case :)

Re: GS on MacOS Mojave

GLASS mailing list
I’m running GemStone on Mojave and haven’t had any issues yet.

James

> On Oct 19, 2018, at 9:40 PM, Jupiter Jones via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> Is GemStone running the latest MacOS - Mojave?
>
> I didn’t want to upgrade just in case :)

Re: GS on MacOS Mojave

GLASS mailing list
Thanks James - much appreciated :) All seems to be working well.

All bar Pharo 3 in GsDevKit that is. I get a warning when it’s launched that it’s out of date and will not be supported in future versions of the OS. I believe this is based on Pharo 3 being 32 but. I also still get all the unsupported compressor errors but it doesn’t appear to affect GsDwevKit.

I’m guessing you’re not using GsDevKit.

Regardless, it’s all working for now.

Thanks for your reply.

> On 21 Oct 2018, at 1:10 pm, James Foster <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I’m running GemStone on Mojave and haven’t had any issues yet.
>
> James
>
>> On Oct 19, 2018, at 9:40 PM, Jupiter Jones via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Is GemStone running the latest MacOS - Mojave?
>>
>> I didn’t want to upgrade just in case :)
>>
>> Cheers,

Re: GS on MacOS Mojave

GLASS mailing list
The plan (dream) is to use GemStone 3.5 smalltalk to replace Pharo3 in
GsDevKit ... in GemStone 3.5 topaz can be run without a stone which
means that a shebang script can be written using topaz ... hopefully I
will find the cycles before 32 bit support goes away:)

Dale

On 10/21/2018 11:19 PM, Jupiter Jones via Glass wrote:

> Thanks James - much appreciated :) All seems to be working well.
>
> All bar Pharo 3 in GsDevKit that is. I get a warning when it’s launched that it’s out of date and will not be supported in future versions of the OS. I believe this is based on Pharo 3 being 32 but. I also still get all the unsupported compressor errors but it doesn’t appear to affect GsDwevKit.
>
> I’m guessing you’re not using GsDevKit.
>
> Regardless, it’s all working for now.
>
> Thanks for your reply.

>> On 21 Oct 2018, at 1:10 pm, James Foster <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I’m running GemStone on Mojave and haven’t had any issues yet.
>>
>> James
>>
>>> On Oct 19, 2018, at 9:40 PM, Jupiter Jones via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Is GemStone running the latest MacOS - Mojave?
>>>
>>> I didn’t want to upgrade just in case :)
>>>
>>> Cheers,

Re: GS on MacOS Mojave

GLASS mailing list
On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 09:24:19AM -0700, Dale Henrichs via Glass wrote:
> The plan (dream) is to use GemStone 3.5 smalltalk to replace Pharo3 in
> GsDevKit ...

In my recent testing (on Ubuntu 18.04), Pharo 3 works out of the box but
not Pharo 4+, because of some incompatble changes to Pharo. Looking at
the error, I reckon it may not be too hard to fix (although I'd
personally go to Pharo 6 and skip the versions in between). Hopefully
that is the only error wrt Pharo 64-bit and GsDevKit.

Pierce

Re: GS on MacOS Mojave

GLASS mailing list
> The plan (dream) is to use GemStone 3.5 smalltalk to replace Pharo3 in GsDevKit ... in GemStone 3.5 topaz can be run without a stone which means that a shebang script can be written using topaz ... hopefully I will find the cycles before 32 bit support goes away:)

Man that would be awesome! Can use topaz to get stuff done without having to connect to a stone. Can’t wait.

Cheers Dale.