First tapes from OOPSLA - Squeak BOF

Göran Krampe
Hi folks!

Ok, the first tape is up now - second will be up very soon, third coming
in a day or two, read more here:

http://goran.krampe.se/blog/OOPSLA/OOPSLA07-1.rdoc

regards, Göran

Re: First tapes from OOPSLA - Squeak BOF

Bergel, Alexandre
Thanks Goran,

This is great!

Would it be possible to get the raw file? I would like to put it on
youtube

Cheers,
Alexandre

On 25 Oct 2007, at 08:28, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi folks!
>
> Ok, the first tape is up now - second will be up very soon, third
> coming
> in a day or two, read more here:
>
> http://goran.krampe.se/blog/OOPSLA/OOPSLA07-1.rdoc
>
> regards, Göran

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: First tapes from OOPSLA - Squeak BOF

keith1y
Bergel, Alexandre wrote:
> Thanks Goran,
>
> This is great!
>
> Would it be possible to get the raw file? I would like to put it on
> youtube
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre
The avi file is plenty good enough for u-tube. I have been attempting to
upload these videos to google video for several days now.

Keith

Re: First tapes from OOPSLA - Squeak BOF

Alexander Lazarevic'
I think youtube has a limit that is well below the 1h length and 700MB
size. Here [1] is a version of the first video on sevenload.

Alex

[1] http://en.sevenload.com/videos/fLnZ2gj/Squeak-BOF-OOPSLA-2007-1-3

Bergel, Alexandre schrieb:

> Thanks Goran,
>
> This is great!
>
> Would it be possible to get the raw file? I would like to put it on youtube
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre
>

> On 25 Oct 2007, at 08:28, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> Hi folks!
>>
>> Ok, the first tape is up now - second will be up very soon, third coming
>> in a day or two, read more here:
>>
>> http://goran.krampe.se/blog/OOPSLA/OOPSLA07-1.rdoc
>>
>> regards, Göran

Re: First tapes from OOPSLA - Squeak BOF

Göran Krampe
Hi fellas!

The "raw file" is about 12Gb for 1 hour. :) I am using XviD, 2-pass
encoding and setting size to 700Mb (though they seem to end up around
780). This was a quality level I ended up with when I taped Bryce in
Brussels - in order to have legible text on the projector.

Someone told me to use a quantizer - perhaps it was Marcus Denker? I
haven't done that though - should check before encoding the rest of the
tapes.

I will try to get some more files done later tonight.

regards, Göran

> I think youtube has a limit that is well below the 1h length and 700MB
> size. Here [1] is a version of the first video on sevenload.
>
> Alex
>
> [1] http://en.sevenload.com/videos/fLnZ2gj/Squeak-BOF-OOPSLA-2007-1-3
>
> Bergel, Alexandre schrieb:
>> Thanks Goran,
>>
>> This is great!
>>
>> Would it be possible to get the raw file? I would like to put it on
>> youtube
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alexandre
>>

>> On 25 Oct 2007, at 08:28, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>>> Hi folks!
>>>
>>> Ok, the first tape is up now - second will be up very soon, third
>>> coming
>>> in a day or two, read more here:
>>>
>>> http://goran.krampe.se/blog/OOPSLA/OOPSLA07-1.rdoc
>>>
>>> regards, Göran

Re: First tapes from OOPSLA - Squeak BOF

Andres Valloud-3
Hey Göran,

It seems to me you're dealing with MiniDV video.

If you're encoding a one hour long tape, then it's very likely those
80mb may be the audio which is not accounted for.  Now, MiniDV cameras
typically record in 12bits/44khz, or 16bit/32khz.  Either way, if you
convert down to mono and downsample to 32khz with an audio program, then
you can use something like 48kbps LAME CBR mp3 encoding, which will
reduce the amount of space you need to dedicate to the audio.  This
should sound reasonably well.  If you're inclined to, you may want to
train a noise reduction filter and run the audio through that first.  If
all you care is about voice, you can downsample all the way down to
22khz or even 16khz without much loss of anything.  If you go below
16khz, then female voices will start suffering.  Less khz, less bitrate
necessary to encode it, and more bits you can dedicate to video.

Regarding the video, and particularly for presentations, you may want to
run the raw file through a temporal smoother filter.  VirtualDub has
one, and I've used it more than once with very nice results (e.g. about
80 mins of DivX half resolution video in about 200mb, including the
audio!).  This will eliminate noise while making video look very nice,
and a side effect is that you get better quality from the video encoder
since it has less high frequency noise to deal with.  In other words,
less bitrate dedicated to the grainy mess, and more bitrate dedicated to
e.g.: making the slides legible :).

Something else that you may want to try is either tell XviD to preserve
the interlace, or just deinterlace the video altogether.  Deinterlacing
properly without ruining the resolution is difficult, but done well it
looks fantastic in progressive monitors.  Essentially you get (assuming
PAL) 50fps of almost full resolution frames.  The only bad thing about
this is that it takes more space.  You may get away with it if you run
the whole thing through a temporal smoother filter first.

Hope this helps,
Andres.

Göran Krampe wrote:

> Hi fellas!
>
> The "raw file" is about 12Gb for 1 hour. :) I am using XviD, 2-pass
> encoding and setting size to 700Mb (though they seem to end up around
> 780). This was a quality level I ended up with when I taped Bryce in
> Brussels - in order to have legible text on the projector.
>
> Someone told me to use a quantizer - perhaps it was Marcus Denker? I
> haven't done that though - should check before encoding the rest of the
> tapes.
>
> I will try to get some more files done later tonight.
>
> regards, Göran
>

>> I think youtube has a limit that is well below the 1h length and 700MB
>> size. Here [1] is a version of the first video on sevenload.
>>
>> Alex
>>
>> [1] http://en.sevenload.com/videos/fLnZ2gj/Squeak-BOF-OOPSLA-2007-1-3
>>
>> Bergel, Alexandre schrieb:
>>
>>> Thanks Goran,
>>>
>>> This is great!
>>>
>>> Would it be possible to get the raw file? I would like to put it on
>>> youtube
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Alexandre

Re: First tapes from OOPSLA - Squeak BOF

Alexander Lazarevic'
I used avidemux2 to get the video size below 200Mb. I cut the resolution
by half, smoothed the result for better compression (again with xvid),
changed the audio to mono and ac3 (at least for the first video). The
first video came down to 196Mb and the second one to about 130Mb.

The second video can now also be seen at:

http://en.sevenload.com/videos/r8msK6w/Squeak-BOF-OOPSLA-2007-2-3

Alex