Fixed Width Font for COG

Camillo Bruni
Hey,

I recently ran into the issue that I cannot use a fixed width/monospace font when working under COG.

How can I include a custom font in the image?

m(^_-)m
camillo

Re: Fixed Width Font for COG

Stéphane Ducasse
may be the freetype plugin is missing.

On Mar 11, 2011, at 2:57 PM, Camillo Bruni wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I recently ran into the issue that I cannot use a fixed width/monospace font when working under COG.
>
> How can I include a custom font in the image?
>
> m(^_-)m
> camillo

Re: Fixed Width Font for COG

Camillo Bruni
Does anyone know what the proceedure is to include a new font directly in the image without plugin support?

eg Issue 3809 using DejaVu Mono in the image

camillo

On 2011-03-11, at 15:21, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> may be the freetype plugin is missing.
>

> On Mar 11, 2011, at 2:57 PM, Camillo Bruni wrote:
>
>> Hey,
>>
>> I recently ran into the issue that I cannot use a fixed width/monospace font when working under COG.
>>
>> How can I include a custom font in the image?
>>
>> m(^_-)m
>> camillo

Re: Fixed Width Font for COG

Igor Stasenko
On 12 March 2011 15:12, Camillo Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Does anyone know what the proceedure is to include a new font directly in the image without plugin support?
>
> eg Issue 3809 using DejaVu Mono in the image

i don't think that possible because to rasterize fonts you need a renderer

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Fixed Width Font for COG

Henrik Sperre Johansen
Den 12.03.2011 23:25, skrev Igor Stasenko:
> On 12 March 2011 15:12, Camillo Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Does anyone know what the proceedure is to include a new font directly in the image without plugin support?
>>
>> eg Issue 3809 using DejaVu Mono in the image
>>
> i don't think that possible because to rasterize fonts you need a renderer
Not sure if you misread what Camillo wrote as "import directly into
image", but including additional fonts are certainly possible :)

As can be seen in the thread Damien linked in the issue, Juan did not
provide any easily reproducable process for how he did it for the normal
Deja Vu fonts though, so some experimentation would be necessary to
achieve good results.

Cheers,
Henry

PS:
http://forum.world.st/Is-it-possible-to-setup-Russian-fonts-in-Pharo-Cog-VM-td3329185.html#a3332820
, you can include the FT2Plugin from a standard vm somewhere Cog will
find it, and it should work.
Really should make this a FAQ entry :)

Re: Fixed Width Font for COG

Tudor Girba
I would be interested in the result as well. Is there anyone working/experimenting with this?

Cheers,
Doru

On 12 Mar 2011, at 23:54, Henrik Sperre Johansen wrote:

> Den 12.03.2011 23:25, skrev Igor Stasenko:
>> On 12 March 2011 15:12, Camillo Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Does anyone know what the proceedure is to include a new font directly in the image without plugin support?
>>>
>>> eg Issue 3809 using DejaVu Mono in the image
>>>
>> i don't think that possible because to rasterize fonts you need a renderer
> Not sure if you misread what Camillo wrote as "import directly into
> image", but including additional fonts are certainly possible :)
>
> As can be seen in the thread Damien linked in the issue, Juan did not
> provide any easily reproducable process for how he did it for the normal
> Deja Vu fonts though, so some experimentation would be necessary to
> achieve good results.
>
> Cheers,
> Henry
>
> PS:
> http://forum.world.st/Is-it-possible-to-setup-Russian-fonts-in-Pharo-Cog-VM-td3329185.html#a3332820
> , you can include the FT2Plugin from a standard vm somewhere Cog will
> find it, and it should work.
> Really should make this a FAQ entry :)

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"What we can governs what we wish."

Re: Fixed Width Font for COG

Camillo Bruni
just copying over the plugin worked perfectly.
nevertheless I think we should include the two fonts directly in the image...

though I wont have time to solve this the next few weeks. basically we need to write out each character of the ascii range into an image and store the x offset of each character in an array.

camillo

On 2011-03-13, at 17:41, Tudor Girba wrote:

> I would be interested in the result as well. Is there anyone working/experimenting with this?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 12 Mar 2011, at 23:54, Henrik Sperre Johansen wrote:

>>> i don't think that possible because to rasterize fonts you need a renderer
>> Not sure if you misread what Camillo wrote as "import directly into
>> image", but including additional fonts are certainly possible :)
>>
>> As can be seen in the thread Damien linked in the issue, Juan did not
>> provide any easily reproducable process for how he did it for the normal
>> Deja Vu fonts though, so some experimentation would be necessary to
>> achieve good results.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Henry
>>
>> PS:
>> http://forum.world.st/Is-it-possible-to-setup-Russian-fonts-in-Pharo-Cog-VM-td3329185.html#a3332820
>> , you can include the FT2Plugin from a standard vm somewhere Cog will
>> find it, and it should work.
>> Really should make this a FAQ entry :)
>>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "What we can governs what we wish."

Re: Fixed Width Font for COG

Tudor Girba
Which plugin exactly and where to copy it from? :)

Doru

On 13 Mar 2011, at 22:11, Camillo Bruni wrote:

> just copying over the plugin worked perfectly.
> nevertheless I think we should include the two fonts directly in the image...
>
> though I wont have time to solve this the next few weeks. basically we need to write out each character of the ascii range into an image and store the x offset of each character in an array.
>

> camillo
>
> On 2011-03-13, at 17:41, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> I would be interested in the result as well. Is there anyone working/experimenting with this?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru

>>> Not sure if you misread what Camillo wrote as "import directly into
>>> image", but including additional fonts are certainly possible :)
>>>
>>> As can be seen in the thread Damien linked in the issue, Juan did not
>>> provide any easily reproducable process for how he did it for the normal
>>> Deja Vu fonts though, so some experimentation would be necessary to
>>> achieve good results.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Henry
>>>
>>> PS:
>>> http://forum.world.st/Is-it-possible-to-setup-Russian-fonts-in-Pharo-Cog-VM-td3329185.html#a3332820
>>> , you can include the FT2Plugin from a standard vm somewhere Cog will
>>> find it, and it should work.
>>> Really should make this a FAQ entry :)
>>>

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "What we can governs what we wish."

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Next time you see your life passing by, say 'hi' and get to know her."

Re: Fixed Width Font for COG

Camillo Bruni
right-click on the VM.app "show package contents" goto Contents/Resources/

copy FT2Plugin.bundle to the same location in the cog / cocoa vm

camillo