Fixed-Width Font

123

Re: Fixed-Width Font

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Dan,

I looked for it in old stuff I haven't touched in several years, and
found it. Glyph rendering is done by FreeType.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9d5xi3x2lvtrtum/AABy17XMTRmciA44ysM-vuxza?dl=0

This original ran on the Mac I had by then, but with the VM I added, it
seems to work ok on Windows. Anyway, there are no guarantees. I didn't
try to import the files generated, and for sure you'd need to add glyphs
for 128, 129, 130 and 131, to follow the Cuis convention.

BTW, I suggest using free fonts, that you can share without concern.
DejaVu Sans is a good option. Inconsolata is just great. There are
several more free code-oriented monospaced fonts out there.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

On 7/28/2015 7:00 PM, Dan Norton wrote:

> When the glyphs for the Cuis default font (DejaVu) or those for DejaVu Sans are filed out and
> then examined using Paint, it is obvious that they are of much higher quality than those
> produced by ImageMagick. The height is exactly right, as can be seen at ascii 129, 132, and
> 133. They are the right size and crisp when displayed. This is the quality we should have for a
> fixed-width font. How were these .bmp files produced?
>
> On 25 Jul 2015 at 21:41, Dan Norton wrote:
>
>> Attached is a StrikeFont of Courier New 12. It's hacked - not
>> polished by any means. It was
>> made by:
>>
>> Making "characters.txt" by printing in a Cuis workspace, copying to
>> Notepad, and saving with
>> encoding: ANSI.
>>
>> This was input to ImageMagick to make a .png file.
>>
>> The .png file was opened in Paint, then saved as a .bmp file.
>>
>> The body of the .txt file was generated by:
>> (32 to: 257) collect: [ :ascii | ascii-32 * 7 ]  "note the 257 -
>> needed to avoid index out of range"
>>
>> The first three numbers in .txt were finagled to 12 15 5 (the last
>> two anyway).
>>
>> The font was installed by running:
>> StrikeFont installCourier.  "code in Courier.pck.st "
>>
>> Text in the Text Editor pane was highlighted and the font changed to
>> Courier 12 point. It
>> looked much too small. Going back to Paint, the glyphs were selected
>> and stretched
>> vertically. The font was re-installed. The vertical distortion is
>> probably obvious.
>>
>> At least it's recognizable as Courier and it's fixed width. Files
>> are attached.
>>
>>   - Dan
>>
>> Attachments:
>>    C:\Cuis\CourierExample2.zip

Re: Fixed-Width Font

Dan Norton
On 29 Jul 2015 at 11:54, Juan Vuletich wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> I looked for it in old stuff I haven't touched in several years, and
> found it. Glyph rendering is done by FreeType.
> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9d5xi3x2lvtrtum/AABy17XMTRmciA44ysM-vuxza
> ?dl=0
>
> This original ran on the Mac I had by then, but with the VM I added,
> it
> seems to work ok on Windows. Anyway, there are no guarantees. I
> didn't
> try to import the files generated, and for sure you'd need to add
> glyphs
> for 128, 129, 130 and 131, to follow the Cuis convention.
>
> BTW, I suggest using free fonts, that you can share without concern.
> DejaVu Sans is a good option. Inconsolata is just great. There are
> several more free code-oriented monospaced fonts out there.

I'm trying to get FreeType built and also I did a clone of:

https://github.com/rougier/freetype-gl

Unfortunately when I compile embedded-font.c the following occurs:

fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'vera-16.h': No such file or directory

Do any of you Cexperts know where I can get 'vera-16.h'? Google search produces ads for
soaps containing aloe vera :-)

 - Dan

Re: Fixed-Width Font

Juan Vuletich-4
On 8/3/2015 1:54 PM, Dan Norton wrote:

> On 29 Jul 2015 at 11:54, Juan Vuletich wrote:
>
>> Hi Dan,
>>
>> I looked for it in old stuff I haven't touched in several years, and
>> found it. Glyph rendering is done by FreeType.
>> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9d5xi3x2lvtrtum/AABy17XMTRmciA44ysM-vuxza
>> ?dl=0
>>
>> This original ran on the Mac I had by then, but with the VM I added,
>> it
>> seems to work ok on Windows. Anyway, there are no guarantees. I
>> didn't
>> try to import the files generated, and for sure you'd need to add
>> glyphs
>> for 128, 129, 130 and 131, to follow the Cuis convention.
>>
>> BTW, I suggest using free fonts, that you can share without concern.
>> DejaVu Sans is a good option. Inconsolata is just great. There are
>> several more free code-oriented monospaced fonts out there.
>>
> I'm trying to get FreeType built and also I did a clone of:
>
> https://github.com/rougier/freetype-gl
>
> Unfortunately when I compile embedded-font.c the following occurs:
>
> fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'vera-16.h': No such file or directory
>
> Do any of you Cexperts know where I can get 'vera-16.h'? Google search produces ads for
> soaps containing aloe vera :-)
>
>   - Dan

Hi Dan,

I can not help you with the build of FreeType , but could you try the
image I used to build the fonts? You shouldn't need to build anything to
run it. The FreeType VM plugin is included for both Windows and Mac. I'd
appreciate any feedback.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: Fixed-Width Font

Phil B
On Mon, 2015-08-03 at 12:54 -0400, Dan Norton wrote:

> On 29 Jul 2015 at 11:54, Juan Vuletich wrote:
>
> > Hi Dan,
> >
> > I looked for it in old stuff I haven't touched in several years, and
> > found it. Glyph rendering is done by FreeType.
> > https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9d5xi3x2lvtrtum/AABy17XMTRmciA44ysM-vuxza
> > ?dl=0
> >
> > This original ran on the Mac I had by then, but with the VM I added,
> > it
> > seems to work ok on Windows. Anyway, there are no guarantees. I
> > didn't
> > try to import the files generated, and for sure you'd need to add
> > glyphs
> > for 128, 129, 130 and 131, to follow the Cuis convention.
> >
> > BTW, I suggest using free fonts, that you can share without concern.
> > DejaVu Sans is a good option. Inconsolata is just great. There are
> > several more free code-oriented monospaced fonts out there.
> >

> I'm trying to get FreeType built and also I did a clone of:
>
> https://github.com/rougier/freetype-gl
>
> Unfortunately when I compile embedded-font.c the following occurs:
>
> fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'vera-16.h': No such file or directory
>
> Do any of you Cexperts know where I can get 'vera-16.h'? Google search produces ads for
> soaps containing aloe vera :-)

It looks like it's a file generated from Vera.ttf based on
https://travis-ci.org/rougier/freetype-gl

>  - Dan

Re: Fixed-Width Font

Dan Norton
On 3 Aug 2015 at 15:59, Juan Vuletich wrote:

> On 8/3/2015 1:54 PM, Dan Norton wrote:
> > On 29 Jul 2015 at 11:54, Juan Vuletich wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Dan,
> >>
> >> I looked for it in old stuff I haven't touched in several years,
> and
> >> found it. Glyph rendering is done by FreeType.
> >>
> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9d5xi3x2lvtrtum/AABy17XMTRmciA44ysM-vuxza
> >> ?dl=0
> >>
> >> This original ran on the Mac I had by then, but with the VM I
> added,
> >> it
> >> seems to work ok on Windows. Anyway, there are no guarantees. I
> >> didn't
> >> try to import the files generated, and for sure you'd need to
> add
> >> glyphs
> >> for 128, 129, 130 and 131, to follow the Cuis convention.
> >>
> >> BTW, I suggest using free fonts, that you can share without
> concern.
> >> DejaVu Sans is a good option. Inconsolata is just great. There
> are
> >> several more free code-oriented monospaced fonts out there.
> >>
> > I'm trying to get FreeType built and also I did a clone of:
> >
> > https://github.com/rougier/freetype-gl
> >
> > Unfortunately when I compile embedded-font.c the following
> occurs:
> >
> > fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'vera-16.h': No such
> file or directory
> >
> > Do any of you Cexperts know where I can get 'vera-16.h'? Google
> search produces ads for
> > soaps containing aloe vera :-)
> >
> >   - Dan
>
> Hi Dan,
>
> I can not help you with the build of FreeType , but could you try
> the
> image I used to build the fonts? You shouldn't need to build
> anything to
> run it. The FreeType VM plugin is included for both Windows and Mac.
> I'd
> appreciate any feedback.

OK, the package works as far as choosing fonts from a list. How the list is derived is not
clear. Inconsolata is not on it. The chosen font can be used in ListMorphs. The thing which
eludes me here is the same in the other environs: How to write a .bmp file containing the
glyphs. That problem was the reason for pursuing FreeType and OpenGL. I see the
characters displayed in the pane. They are drawn correctly. Where are the glyphs?

 - Dan

Re: Fixed-Width Font

Juan Vuletich-4
On 03/08/2015 09:08 p.m., Dan Norton wrote:

> On 3 Aug 2015 at 15:59, Juan Vuletich wrote:

>> and
>>>>
>> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9d5xi3x2lvtrtum/AABy17XMTRmciA44ysM-vuxza

>> added,
>> add

>> concern.
>> are
>>>>
>>> I'm trying to get FreeType built and also I did a clone of:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/rougier/freetype-gl
>>>
>>> Unfortunately when I compile embedded-font.c the following
>> occurs:
>>> fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'vera-16.h': No such
>> file or directory
>>> Do any of you Cexperts know where I can get 'vera-16.h'? Google
>> search produces ads for
>>> soaps containing aloe vera :-)
>>>
>>>    - Dan
>> Hi Dan,
>>
>> I can not help you with the build of FreeType , but could you try
>> the
>> image I used to build the fonts? You shouldn't need to build
>> anything to
>> run it. The FreeType VM plugin is included for both Windows and Mac.
>> I'd
>> appreciate any feedback.
>>
> OK, the package works as far as choosing fonts from a list. How the list is derived is not
> clear. Inconsolata is not on it. The chosen font can be used in ListMorphs. The thing which
> eludes me here is the same in the other environs: How to write a .bmp file containing the
> glyphs. That problem was the reason for pursuing FreeType and OpenGL. I see the
> characters displayed in the pane. They are drawn correctly. Where are the glyphs?
>
>   - Dan

When you open that image, you see a browser open on a method called
#export. Some text is already selected. Before the selected text it says
"Set FreeType preferences" and "Create a folder named AAFonts". The
selected text does "FreeTypeFontProvider current updateFromSystem." .
This loads your Windows / MacOS fonts into the image. Then follows a
lists of fonts. Those fonts must be available to the system. The rest of
the selected code does the export, saving the bmp and txt files. To
export Inconsolata, or any other font, first load it into your Windows
or MacOS system, then add it to the list, then export.

I thought all this was self-explanatory...

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: Fixed-Width Font

Dan Norton
On 3 Aug 2015 at 21:51, Juan Vuletich wrote:

> On 03/08/2015 09:08 p.m., Dan Norton wrote:

> years,
> >> and
> >>>>

> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9d5xi3x2lvtrtum/AABy17XMTRmciA44ysM-vuxza

> >> added,
> >> add

> >> concern.
> There
> >> are

> >> occurs:
> such
> >> file or directory
> Google
> >> search produces ads for

> >> Hi Dan,
> >>
> >> I can not help you with the build of FreeType , but could you
> try
> >> the
> >> image I used to build the fonts? You shouldn't need to build
> >> anything to
> >> run it. The FreeType VM plugin is included for both Windows and
> Mac.
> >> I'd
> >> appreciate any feedback.
> >>
> > OK, the package works as far as choosing fonts from a list. How
> the list is derived is not
> > clear. Inconsolata is not on it. The chosen font can be used in
> ListMorphs. The thing which
> > eludes me here is the same in the other environs: How to write a
> .bmp file containing the
> > glyphs. That problem was the reason for pursuing FreeType and
> OpenGL. I see the
> > characters displayed in the pane. They are drawn correctly. Where
> are the glyphs?
> >
> >   - Dan
>
> When you open that image, you see a browser open on a method called
> #export. Some text is already selected. Before the selected text it
> says
> "Set FreeType preferences" and "Create a folder named AAFonts". The
> selected text does "FreeTypeFontProvider current updateFromSystem."
> .
> This loads your Windows / MacOS fonts into the image. Then follows a
> lists of fonts. Those fonts must be available to the system. The
> rest of
> the selected code does the export, saving the bmp and txt files. To
> export Inconsolata, or any other font, first load it into your
> Windows
> or MacOS system, then add it to the list, then export.
>
> I thought all this was self-explanatory...
>
> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich

If a font name is not in the system, the image crashes. Only a reboot recovers.

It is not possible to create a new file in the AAFonts directory. It is possible in the current
directory however.

I'm going to restore my system to before Visual Studio et al. There is too much wierdness.

 - Dan

Re: Fixed-Width Font

Dan Norton
On 3 Aug 2015 at 22:52, Dan Norton wrote:

> On 3 Aug 2015 at 21:51, Juan Vuletich wrote:

> > years,
> > >>>>

> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9d5xi3x2lvtrtum/AABy17XMTRmciA44ysM-vuxza

> guarantees.

> > There

> > such
> > Google

> > try
> and
> > Mac.
> > >>
> > > OK, the package works as far as choosing fonts from a list.
> How
> > the list is derived is not
> > > clear. Inconsolata is not on it. The chosen font can be used
> in
> > ListMorphs. The thing which
> > > eludes me here is the same in the other environs: How to write
> > .bmp file containing the
> > > glyphs. That problem was the reason for pursuing FreeType and
> > OpenGL. I see the
> > > characters displayed in the pane. They are drawn correctly.
> Where
> > are the glyphs?
> > >
> > >   - Dan
> >
> > When you open that image, you see a browser open on a method
> called
> > #export. Some text is already selected. Before the selected text
> it
> > says
> > "Set FreeType preferences" and "Create a folder named AAFonts".
> The
> > selected text does "FreeTypeFontProvider current
> updateFromSystem."
> > .
> > This loads your Windows / MacOS fonts into the image. Then follows
> > lists of fonts. Those fonts must be available to the system. The
> > rest of
> > the selected code does the export, saving the bmp and txt files.
> > export Inconsolata, or any other font, first load it into your
> > Windows
> > or MacOS system, then add it to the list, then export.
> >
> > I thought all this was self-explanatory...
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Juan Vuletich
>
> If a font name is not in the system, the image crashes. Only a
> reboot recovers.
>
> It is not possible to create a new file in the AAFonts directory. It
> is possible in the current
> directory however.
>
> I'm going to restore my system to before Visual Studio et al. There
> is too much wierdness.

Hi Juan,

After the restore and after extracting again the two zip files from your dropbox there remain
fundamental problems. In FreeTypeFont>>export the following statement results in nothing
written to AAFonts directory:

n := 'AAFonts', FileDirectory slash, face familyName, '-', emph asString , '-', pointSize
printString.

If changed to spell out the complete path as follows, some of the .bmp and .txt files are
written to AAFonts before other problems arise:

n :=  '\cuis\pharo\Squeak4.10.2-2612\AAFonts\', face familyName, '-', emph asString , '-',
pointSize printString.

 - Dan

Re: Fixed-Width Font

Juan Vuletich-4
On 8/4/2015 3:35 PM, Dan Norton wrote:

> On 3 Aug 2015 at 22:52, Dan Norton wrote:
>> If a font name is not in the system, the image crashes. Only a
>> reboot recovers.
>>
>> It is not possible to create a new file in the AAFonts directory. It
>> is possible in the current
>> directory however.
>>
>> I'm going to restore my system to before Visual Studio et al. There
>> is too much wierdness.
>>
> Hi Juan,
>
> After the restore and after extracting again the two zip files from your dropbox there remain
> fundamental problems. In FreeTypeFont>>export the following statement results in nothing
> written to AAFonts directory:
>
> n := 'AAFonts', FileDirectory slash, face familyName, '-', emph asString , '-', pointSize
> printString.
>
> If changed to spell out the complete path as follows, some of the .bmp and .txt files are
> written to AAFonts before other problems arise:
>
> n :=  '\cuis\pharo\Squeak4.10.2-2612\AAFonts\', face familyName, '-', emph asString , '-',
> pointSize printString.
>
>   - Dan

Hi Dan,

I tried again. On a Windows 7 system, I stored the contents of both zips
in a folder, started the image and exported 'Calibri' without any problems.

In any case, this is not part of Cuis. It wasn't even meant for
distribution, just for my own use when I built the Bitmap Vera Sans
fonts in Cuis/Squeak/Pharo. I only published it at your personal
request, and not in the Cuis repo. It is given without support or
warranties. If you want to use it, try understanding what is going on.
After all, it is just Smalltalk. If you do that, and ask specific
questions, I'll answer.

Juan Vuletich

Re: Fixed-Width Font

Dan Norton
On 4 Aug 2015 at 16:09, Juan Vuletich wrote:

> On 8/4/2015 3:35 PM, Dan Norton wrote:
> > On 3 Aug 2015 at 22:52, Dan Norton wrote:
> >> If a font name is not in the system, the image crashes. Only a
> >> reboot recovers.
> >>
> >> It is not possible to create a new file in the AAFonts directory.
> It
> >> is possible in the current
> >> directory however.
> >>
> >> I'm going to restore my system to before Visual Studio et al.
> There
> >> is too much wierdness.
> >>
> > Hi Juan,
> >
> > After the restore and after extracting again the two zip files
> from your dropbox there remain
> > fundamental problems. In FreeTypeFont>>export the following
> statement results in nothing
> > written to AAFonts directory:
> >
> > n := 'AAFonts', FileDirectory slash, face familyName, '-', emph
> asString , '-', pointSize
> > printString.
> >
> > If changed to spell out the complete path as follows, some of the
> .bmp and .txt files are
> > written to AAFonts before other problems arise:
> >
> > n :=  '\cuis\pharo\Squeak4.10.2-2612\AAFonts\', face familyName,
> '-', emph asString , '-',
> > pointSize printString.
> >
> >   - Dan
>
> Hi Dan,
>
> I tried again. On a Windows 7 system, I stored the contents of both
> zips
> in a folder, started the image and exported 'Calibri' without any
> problems.

On my Windows 7 I tried to export 'Calibri' and got MNU: receiver of "nextPutAll:" is nil.
This is the same problem which led to my work-around above. Don't waste any more time on
this. It may be something clobbered a .dll and has nothing to do with Squeak. I will continue
to work on it because I need a fixed-width font. Not having it has me stalled on a project.

> In any case, this is not part of Cuis. It wasn't even meant for
> distribution, just for my own use when I built the Bitmap Vera Sans
> fonts in Cuis/Squeak/Pharo. I only published it at your personal
> request, and not in the Cuis repo. It is given without support or
> warranties. If you want to use it, try understanding what is going
> on.
> After all, it is just Smalltalk. If you do that, and ask specific
> questions, I'll answer.
>
> Juan Vuletich

Re: Fixed-Width Font

Juan Vuletich-4
On 8/4/2015 4:42 PM, Dan Norton wrote:

> On 4 Aug 2015 at 16:09, Juan Vuletich wrote:

>> It

>> There
>>>>
>>> Hi Juan,
>>>
>>> After the restore and after extracting again the two zip files
>> from your dropbox there remain
>>> fundamental problems. In FreeTypeFont>>export the following
>> statement results in nothing
>>> written to AAFonts directory:
>>>
>>> n := 'AAFonts', FileDirectory slash, face familyName, '-', emph
>> asString , '-', pointSize
>>> printString.
>>>
>>> If changed to spell out the complete path as follows, some of the
>> .bmp and .txt files are
>>> written to AAFonts before other problems arise:
>>>
>>> n :=  '\cuis\pharo\Squeak4.10.2-2612\AAFonts\', face familyName,
>> '-', emph asString , '-',
>>> pointSize printString.
>>>
>>>    - Dan
>> Hi Dan,
>>
>> I tried again. On a Windows 7 system, I stored the contents of both
>> zips
>> in a folder, started the image and exported 'Calibri' without any
>> problems.
>>
> On my Windows 7 I tried to export 'Calibri' and got MNU: receiver of "nextPutAll:" is nil.
> This is the same problem which led to my work-around above. Don't waste any more time on
> this. It may be something clobbered a .dll and has nothing to do with Squeak. I will continue
> to work on it because I need a fixed-width font. Not having it has me stalled on a project.

Then I suggest the following: Save the contents of those zips to a thumb
drive. Borrow a Windows machine, from someone that doesn't do weird
stuff with dlls and VisualStudio ;-) . Run from the thumb drive, and
take it home.

Oh, something else. On the Mac, the procedure generated txt files with
integer numbers. On Windows there are Floats. Most likely that is wrong...

Mhhh. Maybe tonight I'll try to export Bitstream Vera Sans Mono or
Inconsolata myself...

>> In any case, this is not part of Cuis. It wasn't even meant for
>> distribution, just for my own use when I built the Bitmap Vera Sans
>> fonts in Cuis/Squeak/Pharo. I only published it at your personal
>> request, and not in the Cuis repo. It is given without support or
>> warranties. If you want to use it, try understanding what is going
>> on.
>> After all, it is just Smalltalk. If you do that, and ask specific
>> questions, I'll answer.
>>
>> Juan Vuletich

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: Fixed-Width Font

Dan Norton
(In line...)

On 4 Aug 2015 at 17:08, Juan Vuletich wrote:

> On 8/4/2015 4:42 PM, Dan Norton wrote:

> directory.
> >> It

> >> There

> >> from your dropbox there remain
> >> statement results in nothing

> emph
> >> asString , '-', pointSize

> the
> >> .bmp and .txt files are

> familyName,
> >> '-', emph asString , '-',

> >> Hi Dan,
> >>
> >> I tried again. On a Windows 7 system, I stored the contents of
> both
> >> zips
> >> in a folder, started the image and exported 'Calibri' without
> any
> >> problems.
> >>
> > On my Windows 7 I tried to export 'Calibri' and got MNU: receiver
> of "nextPutAll:" is nil.
> > This is the same problem which led to my work-around above. Don't
> waste any more time on
> > this. It may be something clobbered a .dll and has nothing to do
> with Squeak. I will continue
> > to work on it because I need a fixed-width font. Not having it has
> me stalled on a project.
> >

> Then I suggest the following: Save the contents of those zips to a
> thumb
> drive. Borrow a Windows machine, from someone that doesn't do weird
> stuff with dlls and VisualStudio ;-) . Run from the thumb drive, and
> take it home.

Did that on my wife's laptop and got the same result. Trust me, she does not have Visual
Studio or anything else more rad than FireFox :-)

> Oh, something else. On the Mac, the procedure generated txt files
> with
> integer numbers. On Windows there are Floats. Most likely that is
> wrong...
>
> Mhhh. Maybe tonight I'll try to export Bitstream Vera Sans Mono or
> Inconsolata myself...

That would sure be great. When I started this journey many moons ago, Inconsolata was my
idea of a great font to have on Cuis.

> >> In any case, this is not part of Cuis. It wasn't even meant for
> >> distribution, just for my own use when I built the Bitmap Vera
> Sans
> >> fonts in Cuis/Squeak/Pharo. I only published it at your
> personal
> >> request, and not in the Cuis repo. It is given without support
> or
> >> warranties. If you want to use it, try understanding what is
> going
> >> on.
> >> After all, it is just Smalltalk. If you do that, and ask
> specific
> >> questions, I'll answer.
> >>
> >> Juan Vuletich
> >

> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich

Re: Fixed-Width Font

Juan Vuletich-4
On 8/4/2015 7:10 PM, Dan Norton wrote:

>> Mhhh. Maybe tonight I'll try to export Bitstream Vera Sans Mono or
>> Inconsolata myself...
>>
> That would sure be great. When I started this journey many moons ago, Inconsolata was my
> idea of a great font to have on Cuis.

Ok. Set up the AAFonts folder with contents. File in both cs'. Evaluate
[StrikeFont install: 'DejaVu Sans Mono']. I hope it works for you.

I didn't include Inconsolata because it doesn't have italics or bold,
and also because DejaVuSansMono looks quite better with Freetype.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

DejaVuSansMono.zip (1M) Download Attachment

Re: Fixed-Width Font

Dan Norton
On 4 Aug 2015 at 23:47, Juan Vuletich wrote:

> On 8/4/2015 7:10 PM, Dan Norton wrote:
> >
> >> Mhhh. Maybe tonight I'll try to export Bitstream Vera Sans Mono
> or
> >> Inconsolata myself...
> >>
> > That would sure be great. When I started this journey many moons
> ago, Inconsolata was my
> > idea of a great font to have on Cuis.
>
> Ok. Set up the AAFonts folder with contents. File in both cs'.
> Evaluate
> [StrikeFont install: 'DejaVu Sans Mono']. I hope it works for you.
>
> I didn't include Inconsolata because it doesn't have italics or
> bold,
> and also because DejaVuSansMono looks quite better with Freetype.

Installs great, included in the alt+k menu of a TextEditor, looks great. Thanks, Juan.

Now I'll look into making list elements use DejaVuSansMono.

 - Dan

Re: Fixed-Width Font

Dan Norton
On 4 Aug 2015 at 23:47, Juan Vuletich wrote:

> On 8/4/2015 7:10 PM, Dan Norton wrote:
> >
> >> Mhhh. Maybe tonight I'll try to export Bitstream Vera Sans Mono
> or
> >> Inconsolata myself...
> >>
> > That would sure be great. When I started this journey many moons
> ago, Inconsolata was my
> > idea of a great font to have on Cuis.
>
> Ok. Set up the AAFonts folder with contents. File in both cs'.
> Evaluate
> [StrikeFont install: 'DejaVu Sans Mono']. I hope it works for you.
>
> I didn't include Inconsolata because it doesn't have italics or
> bold,
> and also because DejaVuSansMono looks quite better with Freetype.

Hi Juan,

This is very nice. It's a pleasure to use this fixed-width font.  Your changesets and the zip are
on:

        https://github.com/dhnorton/Cuis-Smalltalk-fonts

in case anyone wants the font before the next Cuis update :)
The Readme explains how to install it, including how to make a PluggableListMorph use it.
Please excuse the other clutter in the repo.

 - Dan

123