Fixing Polymorph overrides

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi gary

We discussed yesterday and we would like to know how we could reduce
the overrides
made by polymorph because we will get in trouble in the long run.
What is your view on that?

Re: Fixing Polymorph overrides

Igor Stasenko
2009/2/24 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
> Hi gary
>
> We discussed yesterday and we would like to know how we could reduce
> the overrides
> made by polymorph because we will get in trouble in the long run.
> What is your view on that?

Can i put my 5 cents in it?

- collect all such overrides into a separate package, named Morphic :)

> Stef

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Fixing Polymorph overrides

Stéphane Ducasse

> Can i put my 5 cents in it?
>
> - collect all such overrides into a separate package, named Morphic :)

lol

probably part of the solution is there :)
Stef

>> Stef

> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Fixing Polymorph overrides

Igor Stasenko
2009/2/24 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

>> Can i put my 5 cents in it?
>>
>> - collect all such overrides into a separate package, named Morphic :)
>
> lol
>
> probably part of the solution is there :)

and its a good chance to take an overview of them, check
duplicates/unnecessary code & overall design.
Mostly the same things Pharo is currently concerned with :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Fixing Polymorph overrides

Gary Chambers-4
If (as previously requested) a list of problem methods can be collated
(those that conflict with Squeak due to removals in Pharo) then I should be
able to split things into separate packages.

That will help with some things though tricky with overrides since they will
need to be unloadable in Squeak at least.

An override merely indicates to MC that upon unload a previous version
should be reinstated.

Regards, Gary

> We discussed yesterday and we would like to know how we could reduce
> the overrides
> made by polymorph because we will get in trouble in the long run.
> What is your view on that?
>
> Stef

Re: Fixing Polymorph overrides

Gary Chambers-4
Will become quite tricky to maintain compatability with both Squeak and
Pharo.

Perhaps you (all) could describe the state of affairs that would be
preferred for Pharo and I'll have a think.

Regards, Gary

> We discussed yesterday and we would like to know how we could reduce
> the overrides
> made by polymorph because we will get in trouble in the long run.
> What is your view on that?
>
> Stef

Re: Fixing Polymorph overrides

Stéphane Ducasse
Ideally we would like to have no overrides.
Now any solution going into that direction would be a good step.

> Will become quite tricky to maintain compatability with both Squeak
> and
> Pharo.
>
> Perhaps you (all) could describe the state of affairs that would be
> preferred for Pharo and I'll have a think.
>
> Regards, Gary

Re: Fixing Polymorph overrides

Michael Rueger-6
Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
> Ideally we would like to have no overrides.
> Now any solution going into that direction would be a good step.

Would it be possible to integrate the overrides into Pharo and them make
a compatibility package for Squeak that adds those overrides to Squeak
before loading Polymorph?

Michael

Michael Rueger wrote:
> Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>> Ideally we would like to have no overrides.
>> Now any solution going into that direction would be a good step.
>
> Would it be possible to integrate the overrides into Pharo and them make

We actually need to do that anyways I think, as the Unicode changes not
surprisingly overlap with some of the Polymorph overrides.

Michael

Re: Fixing Polymorph overrides

Would be an excellent way to do it :)

On Feb 28, 2009, at 10:09 PM, Michael Rueger wrote:

> Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>> Ideally we would like to have no overrides.
>> Now any solution going into that direction would be a good step.
>
> Would it be possible to integrate the overrides into Pharo and them
> make
> a compatibility package for Squeak that adds those overrides to Squeak
> before loading Polymorph?
>
> Michael

Re: Fixing Polymorph overrides

Gary Chambers-4
Fair enough. I can make a new package for the overrides specifically for
Squeak. Will just have to be careful when (if) new overrides are needed for
Squeak and then to somehow make available for Pharo.

Regards, Gary

On Feb 28, 2009, at 10:09 PM, Michael Rueger wrote:

> Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>> Ideally we would like to have no overrides.
>> Now any solution going into that direction would be a good step.
>
> Would it be possible to integrate the overrides into Pharo and them
> make
> a compatibility package for Squeak that adds those overrides to Squeak
> before loading Polymorph?
>
> Michael

Re: Fixing Polymorph overrides

Stéphane Ducasse