Flow-Based Programming

Roeder, Marko
Hey guys,

Since Flow-based Programming has also been a topic in Lively Kernel, I though I should share a link I came across:

And of course, if anyone of you has any thoughts on that, I would really like to here them (and I think all the others on this list too).

Best

- Marko

smime.p7s (6K) Download Attachment

Re: Flow-Based Programming

Conrad Calmez
Hey Marko,

Thanks for this article. This is something which is interesting me for quite some time.
It's sad that he did not mention systems like Max or Pure Data in his article since those are largely known environments that already have a good amount of matureness.
Lately I was programming in Max/MSP (the commercial version of the Max language) and what I really enjoyed was being able to switch between a view that is normally presented to the user aka. presentation view and programming view aka. patching view. At the first glance this seems like a very simple idea but if you have seen good examples of some patches / programs then you will love it. You click to open the patching view and get not only all the connections and hidden elements but also a fair amount of documentation in form of text.
Further in Max/MSP there are help views you can invoke directly on the desired subprogram / patcher. Those views itself are again just programs with a good amount of textual explanation. The good thing there is that the textual documentation goes along with a functional example you can again inspect.
This kind of documentation availability built into the programming environment is really cool and feels totally natural.

Best
Conrad