Font Height Change?

Dan Norton
Hi All,

The attached can illustrate a change in the spaces between lines of text. How can I find what
is causing this change? Placing a "{...} print" in TextModelMorph>>drawOn: is definitely a bad
idea. To see the spacing change, unzip and file in the attached, open the window with:

        AnagramWindow open.

Click "New", enter a string such as "illicit" and click "More" a few times.

For different window sizes, the spaces between lines becomes smaller. I do adjust the width
of the window to keep the text in columns but I'm trying to find out why the spacing changes.

 - Dan

AnagramAid.pck.zip (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Font Height Change?

Dan Norton
Never mind. In a fresh image, I can't reproduce it :-/

On 30 Aug 2015 at 14:20, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> The attached can illustrate a change in the spaces between lines of
> text. How can I find what
> is causing this change? Placing a "{...} print" in
> TextModelMorph>>drawOn: is definitely a bad
> idea. To see the spacing change, unzip and file in the attached,
> open the window with:
>
> AnagramWindow open.
>
> Click "New", enter a string such as "illicit" and click "More" a few
> times.
>
> For different window sizes, the spaces between lines becomes
> smaller. I do adjust the width
> of the window to keep the text in columns but I'm trying to find out
> why the spacing changes.
>
>  - Dan
>
> Attachments:
>   C:\Cuis\Anagram\Cuis-Smalltalk-anagram\AnagramAid.pck.zip

Re: Font Height Change?

Dan Norton
Aha! Game on again. It occurs when the font 'DejaVu Sans Mono' is installed and
AnagramWindow>>cluesFont uses it for the text, but not always. Otherwise, it does not occur
when the font is 'DejaVu' which is the default.

Resizing the window reverses the close spacing. A couple more clicks of "More" can cause it
to recur.

On 30 Aug 2015 at 18:10, [hidden email] wrote:

> Never mind. In a fresh image, I can't reproduce it :-/
>
> On 30 Aug 2015 at 14:20, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > The attached can illustrate a change in the spaces between lines
> of
> > text. How can I find what
> > is causing this change? Placing a "{...} print" in
> > TextModelMorph>>drawOn: is definitely a bad
> > idea. To see the spacing change, unzip and file in the attached,
> > open the window with:
> >
> > AnagramWindow open.
> >
> > Click "New", enter a string such as "illicit" and click "More" a
> few
> > times.
> >
> > For different window sizes, the spaces between lines becomes
> > smaller. I do adjust the width
> > of the window to keep the text in columns but I'm trying to find
> out
> > why the spacing changes.
> >
> >  - Dan
> >
> > Attachments:
> >   C:\Cuis\Anagram\Cuis-Smalltalk-anagram\AnagramAid.pck.zip

Re: Font Height Change?

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Dan,

On 8/30/2015 8:01 PM, Dan Norton wrote:
> Aha! Game on again. It occurs when the font 'DejaVu Sans Mono' is installed and
> AnagramWindow>>cluesFont uses it for the text, but not always. Otherwise, it does not occur
> when the font is 'DejaVu' which is the default.
>
> Resizing the window reverses the close spacing. A couple more clicks of "More" can cause it
> to recur.

Found it! The problem is that in #atRandom and #permuted first you sent
the contents to your morph, and then you modify them (without the morph
really realizing of that). I'm not sure about the details of the
behavior you found, but the attach is cleaner and fixes the problem.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

UnsavedChangesTo-AnagramAid-jmv.1.cs.st (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Font Height Change?

Dan Norton
Thanks for the answer, Juan. It stops confusing and annoying the morph :)

 - Dan