classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Font enumeration problem

Michael Gross-4

Hi,

This is a problem with Smalltalk crashing with a Dr. Watson error in VisualWorks 2.x, 3.x, etc. I know that this problem has been described on the List Server, Wiki and on the Cincom support website but, does anyone have or know of a solution (simpler = better) for this besides removing fonts until it goes away or upgrading. Neither one of this solutions (especially upgrading) is a real good option.

Michael Gross

Solution Center
Blue Heron Consulting
300 Airpark Dr, Suite 80
Rochester, NY 14624

www.BlueHeron-Consulting.com

Office: 800-253-3449 / 585-464-8035 (x207)
Fax:    800-464-9901 / 585-464-9760

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Font enumeration problem

Steven Kelly

"The bug is in the VisualWorks object engine's font enumeration code which had an off-by-one error in testing filling a large buffer. If the enumeration of fonts was such that the off-by-one error was encountered memory would be corrupted. This is fixed in 5i.2. The work-arounds below can get you up and running before 5i.2. "

Checking the "TrueType only" option (settings->control panel->fonts->view->folder options->Truetype) solved the problem for many people.

HTH,
Steve

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 02 February 2006 21:10
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Font enumeration problem

Hi,

This is a problem with Smalltalk crashing with a Dr. Watson error in VisualWorks 2.x, 3.x, etc. I know that this problem has been described on the List Server, Wiki and on the Cincom support website but, does anyone have or know of a solution (simpler = better) for this besides removing fonts until it goes away or upgrading. Neither one of this solutions (especially upgrading) is a real good option.

Michael Gross

Solution Center
Blue Heron Consulting
300 Airpark Dr, Suite 80
Rochester, NY 14624

www.BlueHeron-Consulting.com

Office: 800-253-3449 / 585-464-8035 (x207)
Fax:    800-464-9901 / 585-464-9760