Fonts directory necessary in pharo-dev

Simon Denier-3
Hi

I juste downloaded the latest pharo 10342 and I noticed that if I
remove the Fonts folder, it does not look for DejaVu fonts already
installed on my MacOs system. Instead I got crappy fonts.

Is this a known bug?

--
  Simon

Re: Fonts directory necessary in pharo-dev

Lukas Renggli
I've made a similar experience. Pharo only seems to use the fonts if
they are in a sub-directory of the image. It would be cool, if the
fonts would also be detected when they are in a sub-directory of the
VM or installed in the system. Maybe we can fix that on Saturday? ;-)

Lukas

2009/7/2 Simon Denier <[hidden email]>:

> Hi
>
> I juste downloaded the latest pharo 10342 and I noticed that if I
> remove the Fonts folder, it does not look for DejaVu fonts already
> installed on my MacOs system. Instead I got crappy fonts.
>
> Is this a known bug?
>
> --
>  Simon

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Fonts directory necessary in pharo-dev

Michael Rueger-6
Lukas Renggli wrote:
> I've made a similar experience. Pharo only seems to use the fonts if
> they are in a sub-directory of the image. It would be cool, if the
> fonts would also be detected when they are in a sub-directory of the
> VM or installed in the system. Maybe we can fix that on Saturday? ;-)

The Sophie FileLocations package has a call to find the platform
specific font directory (or even directories?).

Michael

Re: Fonts directory necessary in pharo-dev

Andrew Tween

> From: [hidden email]

> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 12:08:16 +0200
> Subject: [Pharo-project] Fonts directory necessary in pharo-dev
>
> Hi
>
> I juste downloaded the latest pharo 10342 and I noticed that if I
> remove the Fonts folder, it does not look for DejaVu fonts already
> installed on my MacOs system. Instead I got crappy fonts.
>
> Is this a known bug?

This is because the automatic search for fonts at image startup was removed.
If you click the update button on a font chooser, or evaluate ...

FreeTypeFontProvider current updateFromSystem

in a workspace, then it should find the fonts in your OS font folders and start using them immediately.

The update is slow the first time it is run because it needs to 'look inside' each font file to extract the font name/style etc.
This information is then cached and used by subsequent updates.
Evaluating this twice ...
Time millisecondsToRun: [FreeTypeFontProvider current updateFromSystem]
gives 4075 for the first run, and 547 for the second run.

The cache is internal to the image, and so will be lost if the image isn't saved.
One possibility would be to save the cache to disk, and load it again on startup.
I believe that something similar to this was done in Sophie.
I have some code for doing this but I haven't had time to complete it.

Cheers,
Andy

> --
> Simon

Re: Fonts directory necessary in pharo-dev

Simon Denier-3

On 2 juil. 09, at 14:03, Andrew Tween wrote:

Hi,

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 12:08:16 +0200
> Subject: [Pharo-project] Fonts directory necessary in pharo-dev
>
> Hi
>
> I juste downloaded the latest pharo 10342 and I noticed that if I
> remove the Fonts folder, it does not look for DejaVu fonts already
> installed on my MacOs system. Instead I got crappy fonts.
>
> Is this a known bug?

This is because the automatic search for fonts at image startup was removed.
If you click the update button on a font chooser, or evaluate ...

FreeTypeFontProvider current updateFromSystem

in a workspace, then it should find the fonts in your OS font folders and start using them immediately.

Thanks.

Maybe one way to mitigate the problem is to do it once in a fresh pharo image, then this process should remove itself from the startup list.

The update is slow the first time it is run because it needs to 'look inside' each font file to extract the font name/style etc.
This information is then cached and used by subsequent updates.
Evaluating this twice ...
Time millisecondsToRun: [FreeTypeFontProvider current updateFromSystem]
gives 4075 for the first run, and 547 for the second run.

The cache is internal to the image, and so will be lost if the image isn't saved.
One possibility would be to save the cache to disk, and load it again on startup.
I believe that something similar to this was done in Sophie.
I have some code for doing this but I haven't had time to complete it.

Cheers,
Andy

> --
> Simon

 Simon

Re: Fonts directory necessary in pharo-dev

johnmci

On 2-Jul-09, at 3:51 AM, Michael Rueger wrote:

> The Sophie FileLocations package has a call to find the platform
> specific font directory (or even directories?).

I've not looked but I think it's *directories* since the user can have
a font directory.
We also kept a list of the found font meta-data in memory, so on
restart we would merge our list
and the results of the startup font directory parsing.

If fonts deleted, fine we delete from our meta-data
If no changes nothing much happens other than connecting back up the
font to font file pointers
If fonts added, we would create new font instances for the new font
files.

Otherwise setting up 462 font instances for those mac users who have
just a few fonts on their machines was way too time consuming
--
=
=