Fonts in Console applications

1 message Options

Fonts in Console applications

Ian Bartholomew-3
Blair/Andy,

Scenario - I've got a little app that I want to automatically run in the
background at system start up, so a console app would be best. It just loads
a bitmap file, scribbles some text on the bitmaps canvas and resaves the
file. Because it has to fit the text into a different sized space, according
to the bitmap, it needs to be able to resize the font used.

Problem - However I try to create a Font at runtime, including caching fonts
when I compile the app, I can't get past the Font>>initialize method. It
attempts to interrogate DesktopView for the current resolution but that does
not seem available in a Console app.  It might need to check if it is
running in a console app before attempting to get the screen resolution?

Workround - I subclassed Font and added my own initialize method to get
around the problem, which works quite well, so it's not urgent.

Ian