Fonts in Linux

Robert Roland
Hi all,

I feel dumb asking this question, but I've been using the Pharo image mostly on a Mac, with the FT2Plugin installed, so I've gotten spoiled by having nice fonts in the image.

I've started wanting to use my Linux desktop (Ubuntu 8.10) too, but there doesn't appear to be a Linux FT2Plugin, so I seem to be stuck with one font only - Accuny.  I haven't seen any other posts in this list related to that, so I'm assuming everyone's on a different platform, found a way to fix this, or likes Accuny.

Having been spoiled by staring at Lucida Grande and Monaco, my eyes aren't too happy with Accuny as my only option.

I've only recently begun using the Squeak VM, but compared to the older Squeak images, the Pharo image is worlds ahead.  I'm looking forward to participating more, but this font issue is going to nag me. :)

Thanks for any help,

Robert

Re: Fonts in Linux

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks robert.
I'm sure that somebody will help you.

Stef

On Mar 5, 2009, at 7:46 AM, Robert Roland wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I feel dumb asking this question, but I've been using the Pharo
> image mostly
> on a Mac, with the FT2Plugin installed, so I've gotten spoiled by
> having
> nice fonts in the image.
>
> I've started wanting to use my Linux desktop (Ubuntu 8.10) too, but
> there
> doesn't appear to be a Linux FT2Plugin, so I seem to be stuck with
> one font
> only - Accuny.  I haven't seen any other posts in this list related
> to that,
> so I'm assuming everyone's on a different platform, found a way to
> fix this,
> or likes Accuny.
>
> Having been spoiled by staring at Lucida Grande and Monaco, my eyes
> aren't
> too happy with Accuny as my only option.
>
> I've only recently begun using the Squeak VM, but compared to the
> older
> Squeak images, the Pharo image is worlds ahead.  I'm looking forward
> participating more, but this font issue is going to nag me. :)
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Robert

Re: Fonts in Linux

johnmci
There is a FT2Plugin plugin buried in

http://opensophie.org/

On 4-Mar-09, at 10:46 PM, Robert Roland wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I feel dumb asking this question, but I've been using the Pharo
> image mostly
> on a Mac, with the FT2Plugin installed, so I've gotten spoiled by
> having
> nice fonts in the image.
>
> I've started wanting to use my Linux desktop (Ubuntu 8.10) too, but
> there
> doesn't appear to be a Linux FT2Plugin, so I seem to be stuck with
> one font
> only - Accuny.  I haven't seen any other posts in this list related
> to that,
> so I'm assuming everyone's on a different platform, found a way to
> fix this,
> or likes Accuny.
>
> Having been spoiled by staring at Lucida Grande and Monaco, my eyes
> aren't
> too happy with Accuny as my only option.
>
> I've only recently begun using the Squeak VM, but compared to the
> older
> Squeak images, the Pharo image is worlds ahead.  I'm looking forward
> participating more, but this font issue is going to nag me. :)
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Robert

=
=
=
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
=
=
=

Re: Fonts in Linux

cedreek
uhmm same problem for me if I understand well (no font by default
except Accuny).

What I did is loading ttf fonts trough the file browser. It works good
except on some I have bad end line character.

Is there a way on linux to have default OS fonts ?   FT2Plugin ?

Thanks

2009/3/5 Robert Roland <[hidden email]>:

> Hi all,
>
> I feel dumb asking this question, but I've been using the Pharo image mostly
> on a Mac, with the FT2Plugin installed, so I've gotten spoiled by having
> nice fonts in the image.
>
> I've started wanting to use my Linux desktop (Ubuntu 8.10) too, but there
> doesn't appear to be a Linux FT2Plugin, so I seem to be stuck with one font
> only - Accuny.  I haven't seen any other posts in this list related to that,
> so I'm assuming everyone's on a different platform, found a way to fix this,
> or likes Accuny.
>
> Having been spoiled by staring at Lucida Grande and Monaco, my eyes aren't
> too happy with Accuny as my only option.
>
> I've only recently begun using the Squeak VM, but compared to the older
> Squeak images, the Pharo image is worlds ahead.  I'm looking forward to
> participating more, but this font issue is going to nag me. :)
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Robert

Cédrick

Re: Fonts in Linux

Robert Roland
John and everyone else,

Thanks for your help here!

I used John's idea and grabbed the FT2Plugin from the SophieReader archive and my fonts look great now!  Bitstream Vera Sans is much more pleasant than Accuny! :)

If anyone else is trying to do the same, the reader archive has FT2Plugin inside

Sophie Reader.app/Contents/Linux686/FT2Plugin

I copied this to /usr/local/lib/squeak/3.10-4

I compiled SqueakVM myself.  If you're using the Ubuntu packaged Squeak, this would go in

/usr/lib/squeak/3.9-8

Thanks all,

Robert

John M McIntosh wrote
There is a FT2Plugin plugin buried in

http://opensophie.org/

On 4-Mar-09, at 10:46 PM, Robert Roland wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I feel dumb asking this question, but I've been using the Pharo
> image mostly
> on a Mac, with the FT2Plugin installed, so I've gotten spoiled by
> having
> nice fonts in the image.
>
> I've started wanting to use my Linux desktop (Ubuntu 8.10) too, but
> there
> doesn't appear to be a Linux FT2Plugin, so I seem to be stuck with
> one font
> only - Accuny.  I haven't seen any other posts in this list related
> to that,
> so I'm assuming everyone's on a different platform, found a way to
> fix this,
> or likes Accuny.
>
> Having been spoiled by staring at Lucida Grande and Monaco, my eyes
> aren't
> too happy with Accuny as my only option.
>
> I've only recently begun using the Squeak VM, but compared to the
> older
> Squeak images, the Pharo image is worlds ahead.  I'm looking forward
> participating more, but this font issue is going to nag me. :)
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Robert

=
=
=
John M. McIntosh <johnmci@smalltalkconsulting.com>
=
=
=

Re: Fonts in Linux

cedreek
Cool, thanks for the information Robert ;)

--
Cédrick

Re: Fonts in Linux

Bryce Kampjes
John M McIntosh writes:
 > There is a FT2Plugin plugin buried in
 >
 > http://opensophie.org/
 >
 > On 4-Mar-09, at 10:46 PM, Robert Roland wrote:

Another way to get the FreeType plugin and also the sub-pixel
extensions for bltblit is to use the VM I announced above:

   http://ftp.squeak.org/Exupery/vms/exupery-vm-0.15-linux.tz

Just untar that somewhere convinient then run the VM inside it.

Bryce

Re: Fonts in Linux

Mariano Martinez Peck
What is the exupery vm ? and which are the differences to to standard squeak vm ?

Mariano Martinez Peck writes:
 > What is the exupery vm ? and which are the differences to to standard squeak
 > vm ?

A standard VM with the extensions required to run Exupery, a JIT
written in Smalltalk. You're not going to notice the Exupery
extensions unless you also load the compiler into the image and
start it running.

Bryce

Re: Fonts in Linux

Mariano Martinez Peck