Fonts under Ubuntu

Terry Raymond

Hi

When I list the font names in VW running under Ubuntu I get a much smaller

list than when I do the linux command  fc-list. Why is that? How do I get

the rest of the fonts into VW?  This is VW 7.9.

Thanks.

Terry

Terry Raymond

Crafted Smalltalk

80 Lazywood Ln.

Tiverton, RI  02878

(401) 624-4517      [hidden email]

Re: Fonts under Ubuntu

Terry Raymond

Michael

Thanks this is much better. However, I found out that the usage of the ‘family’ ivar of

FontDescription has been changed so it may also be an Array. This breaks other

code that assumes it is a String.

Terry

Terry Raymond

Crafted Smalltalk

80 Lazywood Ln.

Tiverton, RI  02878

(401) 624-4517      [hidden email]

Re: Fonts under Ubuntu

Terry Raymond

Looks like it is VW that confuses ‘family’. It seems that Xft just exposed the problem.

I would recommend that FontDescription familyName be changed to return

something like    family first , ‘ …’    if the family is an array and the users that

assume family is a string be changed to use familyName.  The UIPainter font

tool is one of these users.

Terry

Terry Raymond

Crafted Smalltalk

80 Lazywood Ln.

Tiverton, RI  02878

(401) 624-4517      [hidden email]

Re: Fonts under Ubuntu

Holger Kleinsorgen
AFAIK VW expects an array of family names when using a FontDescription to describe expected fonts, an a single familiy name when using FontDescription to describe a matched font.
It might be that Xft mixes the two usages, especially because it uses its own FontPatternDescription. I'll have a look at this issue.

Terry Raymond wrote
Looks like it is VW that confuses 'family'. It seems that Xft just exposed
the problem.

Re: Fonts under Ubuntu

Holger Kleinsorgen
Fixed in version (7.7).74 of package Xft.
Requires a restart when upgrading from an older version.
This version includes Michael's fix for 8.0, which is compatible with 7.7.

Holger Kleinsorgen wrote