Fonts working great

Damien Cassou
Hi,

I've set-up the following script (based on a previous message in this
list) for people using a recent VM and having DejaVu:

|font codeFont|
font := LogicalFont familyName: 'DejaVu Serif' pointSize: 10.
codeFont := LogicalFont familyName: 'DejaVu Sans Mono' pointSize: 9.
Preferences setListFontTo: font.
Preferences setMenuFontTo: font.
Preferences setCodeFontTo: codeFont.
Preferences setButtonFontTo: font.
Preferences setSystemFontTo: font.
font := LogicalFont familyName: 'DejaVu Serif' pointSize: 11.
Preferences setWindowTitleFontTo: font.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Re: Fonts working great

may be we should start to add such nice snippets on the wiki :)

Stef

On Mar 12, 2009, at 11:02 AM, Damien Cassou wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've set-up the following script (based on a previous message in this
> list) for people using a recent VM and having DejaVu:
>
> |font codeFont|
> font := LogicalFont familyName: 'DejaVu Serif' pointSize: 10.
> codeFont := LogicalFont familyName: 'DejaVu Sans Mono' pointSize: 9.
> Preferences setListFontTo: font.
> Preferences setMenuFontTo: font.
> Preferences setCodeFontTo: codeFont.
> Preferences setButtonFontTo: font.
> Preferences setSystemFontTo: font.
> font := LogicalFont familyName: 'DejaVu Serif' pointSize: 11.
> Preferences setWindowTitleFontTo: font.
>
> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Re: Fonts working great

Damien Cassou
On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 1:34 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> may be we should start to add such nice snippets on the wiki :)

Unnecessary because Pharo will come with a great font included.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Re: Fonts working great

Stéphane Ducasse
I don't think that this is the point. Just that like that people can
know how to script their environment.

stef

> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 1:34 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> may be we should start to add such nice snippets on the wiki :)
>
> Unnecessary because Pharo will come with a great font included.
>
> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Re: Fonts working great

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Damien,

I agree with Stef: it's great that the fonts are working.  It's better still to have a nice stating point but to let users make changes to suit their own preferences.

We might even find that a repository of such code fragments will help newbies see some of the power of select and evaluate.

Bill

http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/CodeSnippets

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Re: Fonts working great

Stéphane Ducasse
cool!

Stef

On Mar 12, 2009, at 5:57 PM, Damien Cassou wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 4:39 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
>> I agree with Stef: it's great that the fonts are working.  It's
>> better still to have a nice stating point but to let users make
>> changes to suit their own preferences.
>>
>> We might even find that a repository of such code fragments will
>> help newbies see some of the power of select and evaluate.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/CodeSnippets
>
> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Re: Fonts working great

SergeStinckwich
On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 8:04 PM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 1:34 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> may be we should start to add such nice snippets on the wiki :)
>
> Unnecessary because Pharo will come with a great font included.

+1 if a nice like DejaVu is included in the Pharo distribution.

--
Serge Stinckwich
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Fonts working great

Damien Pollet
The other Damien was lobbying for the inclusion of DejaVu. Since this
is going to require a new VM, what about making the jump at the same
time as the closure VMs ?

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 05:12, Serge Stinckwich
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 8:04 PM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 1:34 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> may be we should start to add such nice snippets on the wiki :)
>>
>> Unnecessary because Pharo will come with a great font included.
>
> +1 if a nice like DejaVu is included in the Pharo distribution.
>
> --
> Serge Stinckwich
> UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam
> Smalltalkers do: [:it | All with: Class, (And love: it)]
> http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Damien Pollet

Re: Fonts working great

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Is there any decision about how much of Deja Vu gets included?  I ask because I generally like mono-spaced fonts for code, especially with syntax highlighting (for which many thanks to Andy and any other deserving souls).

Bill

The other Damien was lobbying for the inclusion of DejaVu. Since this is going to require a new VM, what about making the jump at the same time as the closure VMs ?

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 05:12, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 8:04 PM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 1:34 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> may be we should start to add such nice snippets on the wiki :)
>>
>> Unnecessary because Pharo will come with a great font included.
>
> +1 if a nice like DejaVu is included in the Pharo distribution.
>
> --
> Serge Stinckwich
> UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam Smalltalkers do: [:it | All
> with: Class, (And love: it)] http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Damien Pollet

Re: Fonts working great

Damien Cassou
On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 9:46 PM, Damien Pollet <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The other Damien was lobbying for the inclusion of DejaVu. Since this
> is going to require a new VM, what about making the jump at the same
> time as the closure VMs ?

+1 (from the other Damien)

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Re: Fonts working great

Michael Rueger-6
On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 9:46 PM, Damien Pollet <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The other Damien was lobbying for the inclusion of DejaVu. Since this
> is going to require a new VM, what about making the jump at the same

Why is this requiring a new VM? Or did you mean an updated .app structure?

Michael

Re: Fonts working great

Damien Pollet
> Why is this requiring a new VM? Or did you mean an updated .app structure?

Yes, I should have said VM application. Point is, the .app bundle is
designed for this purpose, and images with preconfigured fonts will
break or look ugly if the fonts are not there.

The alternative possibilities are not very interesting:
- use system fonts -> wrong, the fonts are only there by default on
(most) linuxes, so in practice, images will break until the user
manually installs the fonts
- distribute fonts in the image -> huge image
- distribute fonts besides the image -> it's already tedious to keep
.image and .changes
- distribute fonts besides the VM like the .sources -> I'm not sure if
that plays well with OS conventions for font installation

--
Damien Pollet

Re: Fonts working great

Adrian Lienhard

On Apr 10, 2009, at 14:17 , Damien Pollet wrote:

>> Why is this requiring a new VM? Or did you mean an updated .app
>> structure?
>
> Yes, I should have said VM application. Point is, the .app bundle is
> designed for this purpose, and images with preconfigured fonts will
> break or look ugly if the fonts are not there.
>

> The alternative possibilities are not very interesting:

Yep. How would we package the fonts for Unix and Windows VMs?

Adrian

> - use system fonts -> wrong, the fonts are only there by default on
> (most) linuxes, so in practice, images will break until the user
> manually installs the fonts
> - distribute fonts in the image -> huge image
> - distribute fonts besides the image -> it's already tedious to keep
> .image and .changes
> - distribute fonts besides the VM like the .sources -> I'm not sure if
> that plays well with OS conventions for font installation
>

> --
> Damien Pollet
> type less, do more [ | ] http://people.untyped.org/damien.pollet

Re: Fonts working great

Damien Pollet
> Yep. How would we package the fonts for Unix and Windows VMs?

For windows I'm not the one to ask :)

For linux, dejavu is very often (on all main distros anyway) already
available and used globally, so the only thing needed would be to make
sure that the packagers add a dependancy in the squeak package to the
dejavu and freetype packages.
Otherwise, the linux-specific part of the one-click distribution can
certainly deal with fonts located inside the one-click.app

--
Damien Pollet

Re: Fonts working great

Geert Claes
Administrator
Scripts like this are indeed useful ... there should however not be a need for such scripts if the "Preferences" were easier to manage.  From a usability point of view its not just the fonts that need attention though, the whole preference browser is currently a bit of a user experience disaster.

Re: Fonts working great

Stéphane Ducasse
disaser seems a strong word.
It is far better than better.
And now we will have another one based on alain's work.
Now you can also help.

On Apr 15, 2009, at 7:25 AM, Geert wrote:

> Scripts like this are indeed useful ... there should however not be
> a need for such scripts if the "Preferences" were easier to manage.
> From a usability point of view its not just the fonts that need
> attention though, the whole preference browser is currently a bit of
> a user experience disaster.

Re: Fonts working great

Geert Claes
Administrator
Stéphane Ducasse-2 wrote
disaser seems a strong word.
Nothing bad intended here, I thought the "bit of" would have softened the "user experience disaster" :)

I was only referring to the fact that how system (or should they be called image?) preferences are currently managed is far from intuitive or user-friendly.  The Pharo team's priorities are understandably elsewhere at the moment and it probably is more an issue which will be tackled by the Hermion project I assume?

Re: Fonts working great

Stéphane Ducasse

On Apr 16, 2009, at 1:25 AM, Geert wrote:

> disaser seems a strong word.
>

> Nothing bad intended here, I thought the "bit of" would have
> softened the "user experience disaster" :)
>
> I was only referring to the fact that how system (or should they be
> called image?) preferences are currently managed is far from
> intuitive or user-friendly.  The Pharo team's priorities are
> understandably elsewhere at the moment and it probably is more an
> issue which will be tackled by the Hermion project I assume?

not really Hermion is the project of david and of course everything
that we can get from him is cool
but I do not expect him to work on preferences.