For 0.9.1...

gokr
Hi folks!

Nicolas and I are itching to get a 0.9.1 out - one more step towards
1.0. I think the plan is to do 0.9.x all the way to 0.9.9 and then
finally reach 1.0 which I think should be a really solid stable and
usable version that people can "depend on".

And everyone being aware that we have 10 steps to reach that - is a good
thing.

Now... what do you guys think we need to do for 0.9.1 except for digging
through issues and pull requests? Any pressing thing?

Otherwise that is what we will try to do - and try to include a somewhat
more working Package mechanism :)

regards, Göran

Re: For 0.9.1...

Nicolas Petton
On Thu, 2011-10-06 at 13:14 +0200, Göran Krampe wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> Nicolas and I are itching to get a 0.9.1 out - one more step towards
> 1.0. I think the plan is to do 0.9.x all the way to 0.9.9 and then
> finally reach 1.0 which I think should be a really solid stable and
> usable version that people can "depend on".
>
> And everyone being aware that we have 10 steps to reach that - is a good
> thing.

I'm not sure about that. If we need more steps, I wouldn't mind
releasing a 0.9.11 version. No pressure!

Cheers,
Nico

> Now... what do you guys think we need to do for 0.9.1 except for digging
> through issues and pull requests? Any pressing thing?
>
> Otherwise that is what we will try to do - and try to include a somewhat
> more working Package mechanism :)
>
> regards, Göran

Re: For 0.9.1...

laurent laffont

2011/10/6 Göran Krampe <[hidden email]>
Hi folks!

Nicolas and I are itching to get a 0.9.1 out - one more step towards 1.0. I think the plan is to do 0.9.x all the way to 0.9.9 and then finally reach 1.0 which I think should be a really solid stable and usable version that people can "depend on".

And everyone being aware that we have 10 steps to reach that - is a good thing.

Now... what do you guys think we need to do for 0.9.1 except for digging through issues and pull requests? Any pressing thing?

Oh yes. Should I bring some drinks for the Amber World Domination day party ?

Laurent

Otherwise that is what we will try to do - and try to include a somewhat more working Package mechanism :)

regards, Göran

Re: For 0.9.1...

Hannes Hirzel
Thank you for asking, Göran

On 10/6/11, Göran Krampe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi folks!
>
> Nicolas and I are itching to get a 0.9.1 out - one more step towards
> 1.0. I think the plan is to do 0.9.x all the way to 0.9.9 and then
> finally reach 1.0 which I think should be a really solid stable and
> usable version that people can "depend on".
>
> And everyone being aware that we have 10 steps to reach that - is a good
> thing.
>
> Now... what do you guys think we need to do for 0.9.1 except for digging
> through issues and pull requests? Any pressing thing?

If I go to
http://amber-lang.net/
I'd like to navigate to the tutorial you have written and the one
Nicolas has recently about how to do a 'hello world' program.

As of now http://amber-lang.net/documentation.html does not link to it
and 'learn' leads directly to ProfStef.

A third thing to include would be the summary how to create and use
your own package (the information is currently in various mails on
this list).

> Otherwise that is what we will try to do - and try to include a somewhat
> more working Package mechanism :)

And maybe an example how to locally store a dictionary and get it back
http://dev.w3.org/html5/webstorage/

myDic := Dictionary new.
myDic at: 'blue' put: 'bleu'.
myDic at: 'red' put: 'rouge'.
myDic at: 'green' put: 'vert'.

This probably includes an explantion how to go to JSON and back

j := myDic  asJSON.
    '{"blue":"blau","red":"rot","green":"gruen"}'

On http://amber-lang.net/index.html

I read as the third sentence
"It (Amber) allows developers to write client-side heavy web
applications in Smalltalk. "

So a client-side persistence example would be fine.

Regards
Hannes

Re: For 0.9.1...

Rodrigo Bistolfi
Hi Hannes, guys

I wrote a small Todo application for learning Amber (inspired by the one in backbone.js), in which I use localStorage.  It is just a hack so far, and for some reason *it only works with chrome* for now, but maybe it can bring you some inspiration.  You can check out the code at github: https://github.com/rbistolfi/Amber-Todo and take a look at the app itself in http://vlcore.vectorlinux.com/~rbistolfi/amber/todo-localstorage

Regards, Rodrigo (aka rbistolfi)

Re: For 0.9.1...

Jimmie Houchin-5
On 10/6/2011 11:58 AM, H. Hirzel wrote:

> Thank you for asking, Göran
>
> On 10/6/11, Göran Krampe<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> <sHi folks!
> If I go to
> http://amber-lang.net/
> I'd like to navigate to the tutorial you have written and the one
> Nicolas has recently about how to do a 'hello world' program.
>
> As of now http://amber-lang.net/documentation.html does not link to it
> and 'learn' leads directly to ProfStef.
>
> A third thing to include would be the summary how to create and use
> your own package (the information is currently in various mails on
> this list).
>> Otherwise that is what we will try to do - and try to include a somewhat
>> more working Package mechanism :)
> And maybe an example how to locally store a dictionary and get it back
> http://dev.w3.org/html5/webstorage/
>
> myDic := Dictionary new.
> myDic at: 'blue' put: 'bleu'.
> myDic at: 'red' put: 'rouge'.
> myDic at: 'green' put: 'vert'.
>
> This probably includes an explantion how to go to JSON and back
>
> j := myDic  asJSON.
>      '{"blue":"blau","red":"rot","green":"gruen"}'
>
> On http://amber-lang.net/index.html
>
> I read as the third sentence
> "It (Amber) allows developers to write client-side heavy web
> applications in Smalltalk. "
>
> So a client-side persistence example would be fine.
>
> Regards
> Hannes
I too would love to see some good examples of client side persistence.
It would definitely help with a client-side mash-up I am wanting to do.

Jimmie

Re: For 0.9.1...

Stefan Krecher-2

what about making a Roadmap/ Projectplan for a stable 1.0?
First we should be clear about what the goal is (and what not). Is it a main goal to bring Smalltalk to the masses or is it to build a real cool Web-Framework?
Should it be "enterprise-ready" and integrate with technologies like JEE/ Spring/ EJB etc. and/ or .NET? Or is the main focus to integrate with Smalltalk platforms/ technologies like pharo, seaside etc.?
After that decisions some priorities should be clear and a roadmap could be made.
It would be very cool and exciting to establish some kind of distributed agile development.
My wishes for a stable version would be
1. a good documentation (for developers that have less experience with javascript/ jquery) including best-practices for integration with the server-side. I'd be glad to help.
2. Some kind of abstraction layer for doing REST and/or Webservice calls, and also and abstraction layer for a pageflow-concept (like in JSF or Struts).

Just some thoughts,
Stefan
--
sent from my android-phone

Re: For 0.9.1...

Hannes Hirzel
Hi Stephan

Here is my feedback....

On 10/6/11, Stefan Krecher <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
> what about making a Roadmap/ Projectplan for a stable 1.0?

Probably difficult to do at this very moment and thus Goran asked for
0.9.1 (maybe we can put everything else then for 0.9.2 and then
re-evaluate it at that time)

> First we should be clear about what the goal is (and what not). Is it a main
> goal to bring Smalltalk to the masses or is it to build a real cool
> Web-Framework?

Not necessarily contradictory goals. Maybe both, maybe not. Or one at a time.

> Should it be "enterprise-ready" and integrate with technologies like JEE/
> Spring/ EJB etc. and/ or .NET?

No, IMHO.

Or is the main focus to integrate with
> Smalltalk platforms/ technologies like pharo, seaside etc.?

Not necessarily for me at this moment. I like the node.js approach.
Others (see Dale in his post) go for it which is fine. I would say
simple things first.....
And the exciting thing about amber is that we have a Smalltalk in a
browser (= the environment is available on every desktop)

> After that decisions some priorities should be clear and a roadmap could be
> made.

Amber is on github. People fork it as they like and good things are
merged back by Nicolas and Goran. Experiments are fine.

> It would be very cool and exciting to establish some kind of distributed
> agile development.

Yes, indeed. But it is probably already there. The file based / github
based approach.

> My wishes for a stable version would be
> 1. a good documentation (for developers that have less experience with
> javascript/ jquery) including best-practices for integration with the
> server-side. I'd be glad to help.

Maybe you can help Rodrigo writing a ToDo list tutorial (and resolving
the issue with the other browsers)

> 2. Some kind of abstraction layer for doing REST and/or Webservice calls,
> and also and abstraction layer for a pageflow-concept (like in JSF or
> Struts).

Abstractions for 'Webservice calls' is something we surely need.

> Just some thoughts,
yes, thanks,
Hannes

> Stefan
> --
> sent from my android-phone

Re: For 0.9.1...

Nicolas Petton
Hi guys,

The current goal of Amber is to get a working, tested, standalone and
stable Smalltalk. We still have work do to, but we're getting there.

Later we'll see about integration with other tools, but I don't think
this would fit into the core of Amber anyway.

So for the next releases I want to focus on features for the Smalltalk
itself: packages (go, Göran, go!), a documentation system (on its way,
probably for 0.9.2), a better Collection class hierarchy, a better IDE
(the class browser will be falling apart soon), maybe the ability to run
teh IDE remotely with node, and improve the debugger.

Cheers,
Nico

On 10/07/2011 10:43 AM, Nicolas Petton wrote:
> Hi guys

...just wanted to say that I am all in agreement with all that Nicolas
just wrote - in all his posts :)

And yes: Deltas would help with source code management, but it would act
as a compliment. It would give us ability to see what we have changed,
pick and choose (like a "commit tool"), undo etc. So think of Delta as a
tool "on top" of whatever git/svn etc you use underneath.

But... first I want to get Packages working and I am making progress,
hppefully will commit more stuff later today.

regards, Göran

Re: For 0.9.1...

Stefan Krecher
Hi,
regarding the SCM i'd like again to point to a really cool js project i mentioned in an earlier post (amber was still jtalk): https://github.com/danlucraft/git.js
It is a full implementation of a git client in js.
Wouldn't this be the obviosly way for amber?
regards,
Stefan

Re: For 0.9.1...

Charles Monteiro-2
Rodrigo:

This is helpful, thanks

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 3:21 PM, Rodrigo Bistolfi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Hannes, guys

I wrote a small Todo application for learning Amber (inspired by the one in backbone.js), in which I use localStorage.  It is just a hack so far, and for some reason *it only works with chrome* for now, but maybe it can bring you some inspiration.  You can check out the code at github: https://github.com/rbistolfi/Amber-Todo and take a look at the app itself in http://vlcore.vectorlinux.com/~rbistolfi/amber/todo-localstorage

Regards, Rodrigo (aka rbistolfi)

--
Charles A. Monteiro
www.monteirosfusion.com