[For Testing] RC3 One-Click

Torsten Bergmann
>- splash.bmp  says release candidate 2. It should be release stable 1.0 or RC3.

Use the attached one.

>This comes from the vm package. I personally honestly don't understand
>spash-screens. Is windows so slow in loading an image file?

There is no reason to have one to fill load time since this is fast
as on any other platform. It is more or less a short intro screen to
display version info and show the logo. It is very common to provide
one and often you can already guess the version from the style of
the splash without reading the provided version info.

As a developer you would ask "why" - wearing a marketing hat you
should say "absolutely necessary".

Smalltalk should not only evolve in programming features but also
learn some marketing/branding so people will remember it.

Read the german entry on Wikipedia for more infos:
[1] http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splash_Screen

Another bonus is that if one takes the one-click to develop a
commercial application he just has to replace the splash with
a custom one.

If you dislike it, then just delete/rename the splash.bmp after
unzipping the one click and you are done.

Bye
T.

splash.bmp (476K) Download Attachment

Re: [For Testing] RC3 One-Click

Mariano Martinez Peck
I agree with you Torsten. And thanks for the very fast upload :)

2010/4/7 Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]>
>- splash.bmp  says release candidate 2. It should be release stable 1.0 or RC3.

Use the attached one.

>This comes from the vm package. I personally honestly don't understand
>spash-screens. Is windows so slow in loading an image file?

There is no reason to have one to fill load time since this is fast
as on any other platform. It is more or less a short intro screen to
display version info and show the logo. It is very common to provide
one and often you can already guess the version from the style of
the splash without reading the provided version info.

As a developer you would ask "why" - wearing a marketing hat you
should say "absolutely necessary".

Smalltalk should not only evolve in programming features but also
learn some marketing/branding so people will remember it.

Read the german entry on Wikipedia for more infos:
[1] http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splash_Screen

Another bonus is that if one takes the one-click to develop a
commercial application he just has to replace the splash with
a custom one.

If you dislike it, then just delete/rename the splash.bmp after
unzipping the one click and you are done.

Bye
T.

Re: [For Testing] RC3 One-Click

Stéphane Ducasse