Fork Proposal: Cuis & Killer Apps.

12

Re: Fork Proposal: Cuis & Killer Apps.

Edgar De Cleene

On 2/18/12 5:08 PM, "Craig Latta" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi--
>
>      Lawson writes:
>
>> For those who haven't tried it, Juan's Cuis 3.3 image is only 6.5 MB.
>> It would be interesting to see if Craig can use Spoon to make it even
>> more lean.
>
>      No doubt. We could run it through Spoon's "dissolve" feature. It
> uses an alternate version of the garbage collector to treat as garbage
> methods which haven't been run since a chosen point in time. It's the
> most effective way of stripping a system, and it happens in an instant.
>

> -C
>
> --
> Craig Latta
> www.netjam.org/resume
> +31   6 2757 7177
> + 1 415  287 3547

Cuis have a reduced version of 2 mb

I have a CuisWiki with Kom + Hv + my Wiki own version which behaves like
real Squeak swiki.

It's 5 mb and can see running today at
http://201.212.74.182:8086

User: 'visita'
pass: must be blank

Presents encrypted, via HVCaptcha could see Spanish assorted notes.

I hope some day we could build some like this (better) with Spoon
I want a .image which could do Morphic and also could do web.
I want to take Squeak or Pharo and with some Spoon magic tell what to do for
build some arbitrary thing.

Cheers

Edgar

On 2/18/12 5:10 PM, "Craig Latta" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Casey--
>
>> Craig, if I wanted to try to Spoon-out Cuis, where would I start?
>
>      Hm, I included the VM changes for Spoon's "dissolve" feature in
> Spoon 3a3, but not the object-level part. Are you still interested? I
> could put it somewhere for you.
>

>      thanks,
>
> -C
>
> --
> Craig Latta
> www.netjam.org/resume
> +31   6 2757 7177
> + 1 415  287 3547

In http://ftp.squeak.org/various_images/SqueakLight/Cuis3.1r.4.zip
Is the reduced Cuis plus updates of Juan plus Network kernel of Pharo.
It's 2.5 mb , clean with no Undeclared and no obsoletes.
All which works is Juan Vuletich an all which not sure is mine.

Enjoy and ready to Spoon it

Edgar

Re: Fork Proposal: Cuis & Killer Apps.

ccrraaiigg

> In http://ftp.squeak.org/various_images/SqueakLight/Cuis3.1r.4.zip
> Is the reduced Cuis plus updates of Juan plus Network kernel of Pharo.
> It's 2.5 mb , clean with no Undeclared and no obsoletes.
> All which works is Juan Vuletich an all which not sure is mine.
>
> Enjoy and ready to Spoon it

     Okay, I'll give it a whirl!

     thanks again,

-C

--
Craig Latta
www.netjam.org/resume

Re: Fork Proposal: Cuis & Killer Apps.

ccrraaiigg

Hi Edgar--

> I hope some day we could build some like this (better) with Spoon
> I want a .image which could do Morphic and also could do web.
> I want to take Squeak or Pharo and with some Spoon magic tell what to
> do for build some arbitrary thing.

     Yes, that would go like this:

-    Start up a blank Spoon history memory.

-    Start up an arbitrary Smalltalk memory (Squeak, Pharo,
     VisualWorks, VAST, GNU, Dolphin, whatever). Let's call it the
     "control memory".

-    Load minimal support for Naiad (Spoon's module system) into the
     control memory, using the dialect's packaging system (e.g.,
     Monticello, Store, Envy).

-    From the control memory, make a Naiad connection to the history
     memory and request an installation of the rest of the Naiad
     support.

-    Checkpoint the activation state of all the methods in the control
     memory.

-    Run the unit tests for the arbitrary thing in the control memory
     that you want to keep.

-    Dissolve everything else and snapshot.

     thanks again,

-C

--
Craig Latta
www.netjam.org/resume

Re: Fork Proposal: Cuis & Killer Apps.

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Craig,

Craig Latta wrote:

> Hi--
>
>      Lawson writes:
>

>> For those who haven't tried it, Juan's Cuis 3.3 image is only 6.5 MB.
>> It would be interesting to see if Craig can use Spoon to make it even
>> more lean.
>>

>      No doubt. We could run it through Spoon's "dissolve" feature. It
> uses an alternate version of the garbage collector to treat as garbage
> methods which haven't been run since a chosen point in time. It's the
> most effective way of stripping a system, and it happens in an instant.
>

> -C

I'm very much interested on this. If anybody tries it, please share the
experience and results.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: Fork Proposal: Cuis & Killer Apps.

Chris Muller-3
Me too!  In fact, I'm hoping Craig himself will demonstrate Spoon in
action as part of his on-line presentation.

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 8:05 AM, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Craig,
>

> Craig Latta wrote:
>>
>> Hi--
>>
>>     Lawson writes:
>>

>>> For those who haven't tried it, Juan's Cuis 3.3 image is only 6.5 MB.
>>> It would be interesting to see if Craig can use Spoon to make it even
>>> more lean.
>>>

>>     No doubt. We could run it through Spoon's "dissolve" feature. It
>> uses an alternate version of the garbage collector to treat as garbage
>> methods which haven't been run since a chosen point in time. It's the
>> most effective way of stripping a system, and it happens in an instant.
>>

>> -C
>

> I'm very much interested on this. If anybody tries it, please share the
> experience and results.
>
> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich

Re: Fork Proposal: Cuis & Killer Apps.

ccrraaiigg

Hi Chris--

> In fact, I'm hoping Craig himself will demonstrate Spoon in action as
> part of his on-line presentation.

     Yup. I just got the virtual machine simulator in Squeak 4.3 to
simulate the Cuis memory properly, so it's close.

-C

--
Craig Latta
www.netjam.org/resume

Re: Fork Proposal: Cuis & Killer Apps.

David T. Lewis
On Sun, Mar 04, 2012 at 12:02:13AM +0100, Craig Latta wrote:

> Hi Chris--
>
> > In fact, I'm hoping Craig himself will demonstrate Spoon in action as
> > part of his on-line presentation.
>
>      Yup. I just got the virtual machine simulator in Squeak 4.3 to
> simulate the Cuis memory properly, so it's close.

Cool. Any simulator patches, please post to vm-dev (or just update
VMMaker directly if you prefer).

Dave

Craig Latta wrote:

> Hi Chris--
>

>> In fact, I'm hoping Craig himself will demonstrate Spoon in action as
>> part of his on-line presentation.
>>

>      Yup. I just got the virtual machine simulator in Squeak 4.3 to
> simulate the Cuis memory properly, so it's close.

That's great! If you have any suggestion for Cuis to ease this, please tell.

And please publish the steps so we can follow you easily.

Thanks,
Juan Vuletich

12