Formula manipulation

Bob Jarvis
Does anyone know of Smalltalk code to do formula manipulation (ala
FORMAC, MathLab, Mathematica, etc)?  Thanks for any responses.

Re: Formula manipulation

Aik-Siong Koh
StMath does some symbolic algebra. It is open source at
http://www.askoh.com

Bob Jarvis wrote:

> Does anyone know of Smalltalk code to do formula manipulation (ala
> FORMAC, MathLab, Mathematica, etc)?  Thanks for any responses.

Re: Formula manipulation

Jan Theodore Galkowski-2
Bob Jarvis wrote:

> Does anyone know of Smalltalk code to do formula manipulation (ala
> FORMAC, MathLab, Mathematica, etc)?  Thanks for any responses.

Well, I'm signed up to do solve this for logic expressions as part
of the SQLMage.  It's written up at

    http://www.algebraist.com/

I started it as part of Ralph Johnson's great CS497 course at UIUC,
but I never finished the logic part of it during the term.  The
ratioanle for the SQLMage is given in both places, but the one for
CS497 is far better documented and referenced (assuming the links
haven't broken).  I a great new algorithm for the logic simplification
to use which I'm dying to implement.  Sadly, I've been busy making
sure there's money coming in so we can eat come April.  [*sigh*
Necessities are such a pain!]

I also have references from my literature and Web search for Smalltalk
and other software to do this.  If there's enough demand, I'll
write a page and put it up on my site.  Otherwise, I'm happy
to e-mail you what I've got.  Please be patient: I will get it to
you eventually.

If anyone is going to Smalltalk Solutions 2002, I'd love to talk
about this symbolic manipulation subject, too.

 Jan Theodore Galkowski                           [hidden email]
 The Smalltalk Idiom                     http://www.algebraist.com/
             "Smalltalk?  Yes, it's really that slick."
Want to know more?  Check out
           http://www.dnsmith.com/SmallFAQ/
           http://www.object-arts.com/DolphinWhitePaper.htm
           http://st-www.cs.uiuc.edu/users/johnson/smalltalk/