Found it! [Was: A dog-slow browser ]

Igor Stasenko
Hello guys,
sorry for resurrecting this topic,

but i seem found the cause of it:
- its an annotation pane, which makes browsing so slow!

Right now i have two browser windows opened - one with annotation pane,
and other is not.

The amount of delay between selecting a particular method and showing
it in a code pane is significant.
Its even different in a look & feel: if you have annotation pane
turned on, each time you selecting a different method,
it turns mouse cursor to a hourglass for a moment, and then turns it
back to arrow.

And while in browser without annotation panes i can scroll through
methods list without feeling any seeming delay,
in window with annotation pane, its feel like a system using a pigeons
to deliver a method's sources to me :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Found it! [Was: A dog-slow browser ]

Lukas Renggli
> but i seem found the cause of it:
> - its an annotation pane, which makes browsing so slow!

Of course, but that was always like that, no?

Searching through all the compiled methods to count senders and
through the changes file for the author takes a few 100 ms each time
you select a method.

Lukas

> Right now i have two browser windows opened - one with annotation pane,
> and other is not.
>
> The amount of delay between selecting a particular method and showing
> it in a code pane is significant.
> Its even different in a look & feel: if you have annotation pane
> turned on, each time you selecting a different method,
> it turns mouse cursor to a hourglass for a moment, and then turns it
> back to arrow.
>
> And while in browser without annotation panes i can scroll through
> methods list without feeling any seeming delay,
> in window with annotation pane, its feel like a system using a pigeons
> to deliver a method's sources to me :)
>

> On 20 January 2010 18:28, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Please, don't take it as a offense, but as a constructive critics :)
>>
>> Pharo-core browser is awfully slooow!
>> That's why i prefer to develop in squeak trunk image.
>> Why it showing the distracting hourglass cursor when stepping over a
>> list of methods in method's list?
>>
>> (press and hold the up arrow key when inside a methods list)... damn..
>> what happens there, that it consumes so much time
>> to just switch the source code in a single text pane?
>>

>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.
>>

> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

On 9 May 2010 21:21, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> but i seem found the cause of it:
>> - its an annotation pane, which makes browsing so slow!
>
> Of course, but that was always like that, no?
>
> Searching through all the compiled methods to count senders and
> through the changes file for the author takes a few 100 ms each time
> you select a method.

well, since now i found what is the cause of it, so i can do something
to have my cake and eating it too.

CodeHolder annotationRequests
in Pharo:
#(#timeStamp #messageCategory #sendersCount #implementorsCount #allChangeSets)

in Squeak:
Preferences defaultAnnotationRequests
#(#timeStamp #messageCategory #implementorsCount #allChangeSets)

So, the Squeak's browsers feels faster with annotation panes simply
because they're not including #sendersCount
by default, which takes a huge amount of time.

And now, all i need to be happy again is just do following:

CodeHolder annotationRequests: (CodeHolder annotationRequests
copyWithout: #sendersCount  )

i don't wanna argue, why Pharo includes this option by default, since
i can turn it off anyways.

Thanks , Lukas

> Lukas
>

>> Right now i have two browser windows opened - one with annotation pane,
>> and other is not.
>>
>> The amount of delay between selecting a particular method and showing
>> it in a code pane is significant.
>> Its even different in a look & feel: if you have annotation pane
>> turned on, each time you selecting a different method,
>> it turns mouse cursor to a hourglass for a moment, and then turns it
>> back to arrow.
>>
>> And while in browser without annotation panes i can scroll through
>> methods list without feeling any seeming delay,
>> in window with annotation pane, its feel like a system using a pigeons
>> to deliver a method's sources to me :)
>>

>> On 20 January 2010 18:28, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Please, don't take it as a offense, but as a constructive critics :)
>>>
>>> Pharo-core browser is awfully slooow!
>>> That's why i prefer to develop in squeak trunk image.
>>> Why it showing the distracting hourglass cursor when stepping over a
>>> list of methods in method's list?
>>>
>>> (press and hold the up arrow key when inside a methods list)... damn..
>>> what happens there, that it consumes so much time
>>> to just switch the source code in a single text pane?
>>>

>>> --
>>> Best regards,
>>> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.
>>>

>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Found it! [Was: A dog-slow browser ]

Schwab,Wilhelm K
FWIW, **THANKS** for staying with this one.  My vote would be to adopt the faster defaults and to add an entry to an appropriate Wiki page on how to add items of interest.

Duty calls: I desperately need to return to my milling machine.  I will no doubt get involved in various details of +/- 0.001 inch, and completely forget about this thread :(  However, many others will never even become aware of it, hence my preference for the faster option.

Bill

On 9 May 2010 21:21, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> but i seem found the cause of it:
>> - its an annotation pane, which makes browsing so slow!
>
> Of course, but that was always like that, no?
>
> Searching through all the compiled methods to count senders and
> through the changes file for the author takes a few 100 ms each time
> you select a method.

well, since now i found what is the cause of it, so i can do something to have my cake and eating it too.

CodeHolder annotationRequests
in Pharo:
#(#timeStamp #messageCategory #sendersCount #implementorsCount #allChangeSets)

in Squeak:
Preferences defaultAnnotationRequests
#(#timeStamp #messageCategory #implementorsCount #allChangeSets)

So, the Squeak's browsers feels faster with annotation panes simply because they're not including #sendersCount by default, which takes a huge amount of time.

And now, all i need to be happy again is just do following:

CodeHolder annotationRequests: (CodeHolder annotationRequests
copyWithout: #sendersCount  )

i don't wanna argue, why Pharo includes this option by default, since i can turn it off anyways.

Thanks , Lukas

> Lukas
>

>> Right now i have two browser windows opened - one with annotation
>> pane, and other is not.
>>
>> The amount of delay between selecting a particular method and showing
>> it in a code pane is significant.
>> Its even different in a look & feel: if you have annotation pane
>> turned on, each time you selecting a different method, it turns mouse
>> cursor to a hourglass for a moment, and then turns it back to arrow.
>>
>> And while in browser without annotation panes i can scroll through
>> methods list without feeling any seeming delay, in window with
>> annotation pane, its feel like a system using a pigeons to deliver a
>> method's sources to me :)
>>

>> On 20 January 2010 18:28, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Please, don't take it as a offense, but as a constructive critics :)
>>>
>>> Pharo-core browser is awfully slooow!
>>> That's why i prefer to develop in squeak trunk image.
>>> Why it showing the distracting hourglass cursor when stepping over a
>>> list of methods in method's list?
>>>
>>> (press and hold the up arrow key when inside a methods list)... damn..
>>> what happens there, that it consumes so much time to just switch the
>>> source code in a single text pane?
>>>

>>> --
>>> Best regards,
>>> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.
>>>

>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Found it! [Was: A dog-slow browser ]

Alain Plantec-4
Issue 2403 <http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2403>:
Annotation pane is slow because of #sendersCount

On 9 May 2010 22:37, Alain Plantec <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Issue 2403 <http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2403>:
> Annotation pane is slow because of #sendersCount
>
> Le 09/05/2010 21:29, Schwab,Wilhelm K a écrit :

Added fix to that issue.  (see a changeset in issue tracker)

With it, an annotation pane could be as slow as it wants to, but it
doesn't hurth a user's experience,
since all information is fetched in background.
So, Pharo now could have an ultra-fast method switching, which no
longer depends from slowness of annotation panes
or its particular options :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Found it! [Was: A dog-slow browser ]

Igor Stasenko
The only nuisance, what left is chaging the mouse cursor.
IMO, SystemNavigation should avoid changing a mouse cursor by itself.
It doing so, when codeholder sends:
self systemNavigation allCallsOn: aSelector

IMO this is wrong:
SystemNavigation is a system-wide service tool, and should not assume
that image having any UI or mouse cursor, which can be changed during
serving queries to it.

An outer layer (like UI element), which queries a SystemNavigation
could change a cursor, depending on context, but not SystemNavigation
itself.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Found it! [Was: A dog-slow browser ]

I would like to clean that! Please open a ticket and send code.
I want a fast and cool ide.

Stef

On 9 May 2010 23:22, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I would like to clean that! Please open a ticket and send code.
> I want a fast and cool ide.

already sent. Please read follow-ups in this thread :)

> Stef

>>> Of course, but that was always like that, no?
>>>
>>> Searching through all the compiled methods to count senders and
>>> through the changes file for the author takes a few 100 ms each time
>>> you select a method.
>>>
>> well, since now i found what is the cause of it, so i can do something
>> to have my cake and eating it too.
>>
>> CodeHolder annotationRequests
>> in Pharo:
>> #(#timeStamp #messageCategory #sendersCount #implementorsCount #allChangeSets)
>>
>> in Squeak:
>> Preferences defaultAnnotationRequests
>> #(#timeStamp #messageCategory #implementorsCount #allChangeSets)
>>
>> So, the Squeak's browsers feels faster with annotation panes simply
>> because they're not including #sendersCount
>> by default, which takes a huge amount of time.
>>
>> And now, all i need to be happy again is just do following:
>>
>> CodeHolder annotationRequests: (CodeHolder annotationRequests
>> copyWithout: #sendersCount  )
>>
>> i don't wanna argue, why Pharo includes this option by default, since
>> i can turn it off anyways.
>>
>> Thanks , Lukas
>>
>>> Lukas

>>> --
>>> Lukas Renggli
>>> www.lukas-renggli.ch

>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Found it! [Was: A dog-slow browser ]

excellent we will integrate that :)